Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 04:20 PM

4,042 posts, read 3,529,230 times

Advertisements

Well, mercy! of course they can ask.

The answer should always be..

"Nunya"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2012, 10:33 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,932,122 times
I wouldn't say they have a right to ask such things. But can they ask? Sure. I'd be amazed if even one person, even in this economy, would be a big enough idiot to actually give away their password. I mean seriously, you'd have to be a monumental sucker to do so. Then they wouldn't hire you anyway for having no spine whatsoever. And who in their right mind would want to work for anyone who wants that kind of control over you? Oh yeah, a monument sucker, that's who.

Old 03-23-2012, 10:36 PM

191 posts, read 361,147 times
No.

My private, personal life should be separate.

I don't know if anyone is like this but I am a COMPLETELY different person at work. I'm basically a mute, focused, and pretty much thinking about how many hours I have left until I go home, lol.

Old 03-23-2012, 10:39 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
they can do it all.
but u can always say no.
as to credit check and googling your name on internet they can do that
but giving away pass codes and remote controlling your computer.
i would say no. scary stuff

Old 03-23-2012, 10:50 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,861,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
They have no "right" to ask for those things. Where do you get such ideas?
I wasn't aware people didn't have the "right" to ask other people questions, any less than you have the right to tell them to go pound sand for doing so.

I'd check criminal background, work history, and possibly credit. All three are good indicators of responsibility and discipline. The others are stupid - in my opinion - but I damn sure wouldn't want the government making that determination for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I feel more threats to my freedoms from private corporations far more than I fear the government.
Then you are absolutely nuts. Asking you a question is not a threat to your freedom any way you look at it.

Let us know when corporations have the ability to raid your home, or take anything directly from you without your consent.

Old 03-23-2012, 10:55 PM

3,022 posts, read 2,274,221 times
It would not bother me I am already Facebook friends with one of my bosses I would not put up any offensive so I am not worried.

Old 03-23-2012, 11:57 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Quote:
I wasn't aware people didn't have the "right" to ask other people questions, any less than you have the right to tell them to go pound sand for doing so.
You weren't aware that are many things an employer doesn't have the right to ask a potential employee during a job interview? I'm sorry.

Old 03-24-2012, 12:09 AM

6,137 posts, read 4,861,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
You weren't aware that are many things an employer doesn't have the right to ask a potential employee during a job interview? I'm sorry.
Nothing legitimate IMO, therefore I will still call it a "right," any asinine laws notwithstanding.

Ask, don't ask, answer, don't answer. We can hire bureaucrats to decide exactly what can and can not be asked in any conceivable situation, but never will they reach an ideal solution for all. Solution? Err on the side of individual freedom for both employers and employees.

How anyone can consider a voluntary credit check or a voluntary question, no matter how stupid, as a violation of privacy, is beyond me.

Old 03-24-2012, 12:35 AM

1,841 posts, read 3,173,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Companies Require Facebook Password During Interview | FOX8.com

There are a bunch of similar stories out there ATM. OK first lets throw out all the unusual jobs like ones requiring a top secret clearance or credit check for a CFO, etc. That is a different job, I get it.

When interviewing, should employers be allowed to:

1) Run a credit check
2) Google your name and see what comes up.
3) Verify the public FB page they found of you is actually you. Lets say they googled it above and found it that way. NO LOGIN
4) Ask for your FB login
5) Ask to see your email login
6) Ask to install a remote access program on your computer.

Disclosure: I have not heard of #6 in any of the stories. I threw it in to take things 1 step further.

Anyway I would go 1N 2Y 3Y 4 N 5N 6N
I have heard of credit checks during an interview however most of the requests I have found have been over emails such as craigslist and these are scams. an attempt for identity theft.

Googling a name? If they have the time to sift over many people with your same name and age with the only difference being middle initial and place of birth and current residence? Have at it, very unreliable.
FB? Yes I have heard of this as well. A good friend of mine who was a middle school teacher and had been going going through a divorce and started partying and posting up pics? Well it led up to a lot of complaints by parents and she was "laid off" .
I had another friend ( a old hs friend) state that he had hi court date pushed back ( he had a pending cws case open) and cws stated that they found partying and smoking marijuana meant he was unable to care for the children so they asked for another 6 months until my friend could get off weed and not party. Not that I agreed with his lifestyle however the fact that CWS used his FB to throw these new stipulations on is what I am referring to.
Do I think it's ok? nO, HOWEVER I feel that one should not post their dirty laundry that could be construed as wrong on the net

Old 03-24-2012, 12:52 AM

409 posts, read 254,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrawnick View Post
No.

My private, personal life should be separate.

I don't know if anyone is like this but I am a COMPLETELY different person at work. I'm basically a mute, focused, and pretty much thinking about how many hours I have left until I go home, lol.
Nobody wants to hire a person like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies