Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 08:25 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,985,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Soldiers in Vietnam for the most part served 1 year, asking troops to serve for several years is a big mistake, especially when 99% of the nation is not involved. The war powers act is complete nonsense, if our nation is truly threatened then there be a declared war and with a draft for all to participate. We should not be asking soldiers to serve 3-4 years or using contractors.
Why don't the Commanders and Leaders see this point?

Most if not all are schooled in the finest Academic institutions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2012, 01:49 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,641,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Lesson #1:
Viet Nam was the last time the DOD allowed the media to cover combat action. Now, the media is briefed by military brass. During the Viet Nam war about 250 media people were killed while covering the action.
On the homefront, anti-war demonstrations and veterans against the war don't get much media coverage.
This is totally false... wildly so.. like saying the sky is green. The media covers combat action all the time... google it. The difference between now and then is that now the military embeds and protects them. In Nam, they were on their own. That's why you see lower casualty figures for this conflict.

Old 03-24-2012, 04:55 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,525,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modeerf View Post
Why don't the Commanders and Leaders see this point?

Most if not all are schooled in the finest Academic institutions.

Never forget that modern-day senior commanders, and those who will someday rise to the top of the tee-pee, are political animals far more often than they are combat commanders. I can't say about the other services, but if you want those 2 or 3 or 4 stars in the Army, the path to them is NOT by military prowess, but by playing "the game."

While the real soldiers are out at the front fighting the war, their competitors for advancement are safely ensconced at the staff level maneuvering for advantage. Far too often, those game players win and the real soldiers get shunted aside.

But, who outside the officer corps knows that? When they show up with chests full of mostly bogus medals, that "bling" impresses non-Veteran members of Congress and at the White House who defer to their military "judgment." Too often, that "judgement" is based upon what they think the listener wants to hear and what's best for their own career. Truly honest senior commanders who will tell the unvarnished military truth are few and far between.

Specifically in regards to this war, don't forget that everyone in the senior officer ranks right now saw what happened to Gen. Shinseki when he dared to tell the truth and they got the message loud and clear.

Old 03-24-2012, 06:36 AM

57,248 posts, read 26,186,773 times
Generals never wants to admit defeat and the executive staff never wants to tell the president bad news, ask McNamara. Right after the election we will be out of Afghanistan but the american people need to be ready for what will follow with the Al Queda.

Old 03-24-2012, 06:46 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,525,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Generals never wants to admit defeat and the executive staff never wants to tell the president bad news, ask McNamara. Right after the election we will be out of Afghanistan but the american people need to be ready for what will follow with the Al Queda.
Every General always wants more troops too and it's up to the Commander in Chief to say no.

We'd better be prepared for far worse than just al Queda. Osama bin Laden attacked us with the objective of drawing us into the Middle East and defeating us. He succeeded beyond his wildest dreams and the fall out will be dreadful.

Old 03-24-2012, 03:04 PM

29,215 posts, read 22,354,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Obama escalated in Afghanistan because people like you said it was the right thing to do.

Well, it wasn't. All of your broken pottery does nothing to address the facts that Obama is the President and Commander-in-Chief. He is also, like LBJ, a left-winger who tried to steal a march form the right wingers and prove how tough he was by pretending to know about warfare.

Well, he doesn't. You know as well as I do that Obama could end our sorry mistake in Afghanistan tomorrow. The only reason he doesn't is because he knows that that would expose him to attacks from the GOP -- attacks that IF HE HAD THE COURAGE -- he could refute by admitting that we made a mistake in getting involved in that sorry mess called Afghanistan.

I'll say it again: Helping Obama make a graceful withdrawal from Afghanistan is not worth anyone's dad.

OBAMA: BRING THE TROOPS HOME NOW!
And who are people like me? I opposed both the Iraq and Afghanistan wars, and opposed the surges in both. And said so publicly while you were still trying to ride a tricycle.

After 10 years, do you actually think the President and his DOD staff WANT more deaths? If that is what you think, you are not only wrong, you need to be medicated.

We're getting out in less that a year at the longest, and possibly as soon as 9 months. Kid, here's the facts: Some poor soldier will be the last one die. The guy before him will be the next to the last to die. No matter if we start pulling out before the next basketball game comes on, someone is gonna die.

Old 03-24-2012, 04:14 PM

1,575 posts, read 1,734,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
What I learned from 'Nam was the majority of the population does not and never will give a single s**t about returning veterans. Not gonna happen, GI.

I work for the VBA processing the incoming claims of veterans and their surviving loved ones. As many of the conditions of war's aftermath sometimes takes it toll earlier, as veterans age the mental and physical torture that they endure is simply heartbreaking.

The ravages of war are mentally and physically brutal and nobody ever wins. I often think that those who survive are the ones that truly suffer.

Please pray for our veterans, even if they physically survive, mentally they pay the ultimate price.

GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS

Old 03-24-2012, 05:42 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,985,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleRain_1 View Post
I work for the VBA processing the incoming claims of veterans and their surviving loved ones. As many of the conditions of war's aftermath sometimes takes it toll earlier, as veterans age the mental and physical torture that they endure is simply heartbreaking.

The ravages of war are mentally and physically brutal and nobody ever wins. I often think that those who survive are the ones that truly suffer.

Please pray for our veterans, even if they physically survive, mentally they pay the ultimate price.

GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
Are you in a populated area that would lend itself to a broader statistical demographic?

If so, how many would you say have PTSD as compared to physical injuries, or both.

Old 03-24-2012, 07:08 PM

1,575 posts, read 1,734,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modeerf View Post
Are you in a populated area that would lend itself to a broader statistical demographic?
The government has closed down numerous unproductive Regional Offices throughout the US. I am located in Indy and because of our high productivity rate in servicing the veterans claims thousands of cases from various states have been shipped to our office. Because of the large demographic area that we service, our case load has increased substantially in a very short period of time.

Quote:
If so, how many would you say have PTSD as compared to physical injuries, or both.
It's really hard to say. If I had to guess I would say PTSD is by far the worst demon. In addition to those recently returning, we are servicing many vets from the Viet Nam era who as they age have begun to suffer from a multitude of unforeseen psychological and physical deterioration.

Sadly, gauging from what we are seeing, with the vets coming back from Iraq, in the longterm it does not look good.

Old 03-24-2012, 07:19 PM

57,248 posts, read 26,186,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
No, the Commander-in-Chief is supposed to listen and then reflect on the mistakes of thr past. AND MAKE THE RIGHT CALL.

You and I and everyone else knows this. Why doesn't Obama?

No, Obama marched into escalating in Afghanistan. Beating HIS chest. Like LBJ. See my post above. The error made in escalating and staying until somehow someway some things get better is solely Obama's. Your faith in Obama is touching. Every day our men are dying as he hems and haws.

Well, we're going to turn tail, too. The only question is when. Every day more of our blood is spilled and our treasure is wasted on that rathole. And I have news for you -- al Qaeda is flourishing now more than ever, because the Afghans hate us and believe them.

Utterly absurd.

Coulda shoulda woulda. Obama's been the boss for three years. The blood of our soldiers is on HIS hands. The fact that people like you want to fantasize about Bush does nothing to change that, or relieve him of his duty to END OUR ADVENTURE IN AFGHANISTAN NOW.

No one is beating their chest, Obama is alreay being criticized for our withdrawal from Iraq and he is following the recommendation of our most respected general, Petraeus.

The blood of our soldiers is on the prior administration for getting us in this mess, always easier to start a war than end it. What was our original mission in Afghanistan, find Osama just completed last year, the end is near.

Where have you been the last 10 years?? The point is we should not have gone into Iraq or Afghanistan without a plan for withdrawal or did you miss that part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies