Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 03:03 PM

2,028 posts, read 1,890,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Then what is the right way? One sentence is not enough. There are a lot of one sentence responses thus far. People aren't expected to be economic/political experts, but if you don't like the rule, then at least indicate what else should be done. At least, do you agree that the remaining few ought to be able to buy it and cannot be denied coverage?
Good afternoon,

The right way is to preserve society's freedom of choice while solving the problem.

- Make health insurance like car insurance, and allow any company to sell it anywhere in the nation. Many companies have a monopoly in certain states. If states want to keep this in-state status quo, fine, but use the Commerce Clause for its' real purpose, regulating commerce between the states, not forcing commerce upon people. Allowing competition will bring the price down. (See federal vs state banks as an example of co-existing chartered entities within a state).

- As a compromise, I'm fine with the government chartering a non-profit type of public option, as long as a strong law states it must be self-sufficient and prohibit taxpayer bailouts. Basically, it should raise premiums or look for other ways to fund itself if it is low on money. They can raise seed funding and future needs through tax free bonds or some other method. This non-profit can cover the pre-existing folks most use as a reason for making us all buy insurance.

- Incentivize people to shop for the best deals. People don't care about the price of health care because they don't pay for it upfront. The same can be said about student loans and housing. Give them a check for finding the lowest prices or keeping their care under a certain amount at the end of the year.

- Finally, make people responsible for their own negligence. Get rid of the law that allows people to show up to any emergency room, even without insurance. Let hospitals decide if they want to provide this service and let them fund it with their own money instead of the taxpayers. Turn people away who show up with fake emergencies or send them to the charity hospital.

These are only a few ideas, I can come up with more if necessary.

Last edited by Freedom123; 03-23-2012 at 03:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2012, 03:05 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,965,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
What a stupid quote. Being poor doesn't necessarily equate to needing/wanting government reliance. There is something to be said for self-reliance. It's an admirable trait. Try it sometime.

The left is famous for stupidity. Hence stupid quotes.

Old 03-23-2012, 03:06 PM

4,255 posts, read 3,483,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom123 View Post
Good afternoon,

The right way is to preserve society's freedom of choice while solving the problem.

- Make health insurance like car insurance, and allow any company to sell it anywhere in the nation. Many companies have a monopoly in certain states. If states want to keep this in-state status quo, fine, but use the Commerce Clause for its' real purpose, regulating commerce between the states, not forcing commerce upon people. Allowing competition will bring the price down. (See federal vs state banks as an example of co-existing chartered entities within a state).

- As a compromise, I'm fine with the government chartering a non-profit type of public option, as long as a strong law states it must be self-sufficient and prohibit taxpayer bailouts. Basically, it should raise premiums or look for other ways to fund itself if it is low on money. They can raise seed funding and future needs through tax free bonds or some other method. This non-profit can cover the pre-existing folks most use as a reason for making us all buy insurance.

- Incentivize people to shop for the best deals. People don't care about the price of health care because they don't pay for it upfront. The same can be said about student loans and housing. Give them a check for finding the lowest prices or keeping their care under a certain amount at the end of the year.

- Finally, make people responsible for their own negligence. Get rid of the law that allows people to show up to any emergency room, even without insurance. Let hospitals decide if they want to provide this service and let them fund it with their own money instead of the taxpayers. Turn people away who show up with fake emergencies or send them go to the charity hospital.

These are only a few ideas, I can come up with more if necessary.

Now those are some real answers. Not a fake HC bill that we had to pass so we could find out whats in it.

Old 03-23-2012, 03:08 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,398,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Of course health care needs reform. As far as not denying coverage, are you in favor of forcing inusrance companies to sell homeowners insurance to people while their house is on fire?
I don't think it's an on-and-off switch. I don't think most people will wait until they have cancer to go buy health insurance. My friend became a sole practitioner, had recently gotten married, and quickly had two young children. I doubt he was going to go without. It turned out that one of his kids has some medical issues, not serious, but they require ongoing care. Thankfully, he bought insurance upon going off on his own.

I've gone to ER on a couple of occasions, for stuff someone doesn't plan on, and have been fine otherwise. I was certainly glad I had insurance for those events.

Old 03-23-2012, 03:11 PM

Ive been to the ER too. $700 to rest a dislocated shoulder = 2 months premiums

$1100 for stiches in foot. ( should have gone to a walk in medical center for 1/2 the price) = 3-1/2 months premiums.

Old 03-23-2012, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom123 View Post
Finally, make people responsible for their own negligence. Get rid of the law that allows people to show up to any emergency room, even without insurance. Let hospitals decide if they want to provide this service and let them fund it with their own money instead of the taxpayers. Turn people away who show up with fake emergencies or send them go to the charity hospital.
Most "fake" emergencies and recurring emergency room use is by those who are on Medicaid. Of course there are valid emergencies affecting everyone, but have you ever sat in an ER? There are "regulars," from what it seems, and they are generally poorer and on some type of assistance.

Old 03-23-2012, 03:13 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,772,644 times
Quote:
I don't think it's an on-and-off switch. I don't think most people will wait until they have cancer to go buy health insurance. My friend became a sole practitioner, had recently gotten married, and quickly had two young children. I doubt he was going to go without. It turned out that one of his kids has some medical issues, not serious, but they require ongoing care. Thankfully, he bought insurance upon going off on his own.

I've gone to ER on a couple of occasions, for stuff someone doesn't plan on, and have been fine otherwise. I was certainly glad I had insurance for those events.

That is just what happens. If not there would be no issue with pre existing conditions.

Old 03-23-2012, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post
Ive been to the ER too. $700 to rest a dislocated shoulder = 2 months premiums

$1100 for stiches in foot. ( should have gone to a walk in medical center for 1/2 the price) = 3-1/2 months premiums.
Why don't you price a heart attack or a stroke for me instead? You know, the kind that unexpectedly hit people in their 40s, for example.

Old 03-23-2012, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Most "fake" emergencies and recurring emergency room use is by those who are on Medicaid. Of course there are valid emergencies affecting everyone, but have you ever sat in an ER? There are "regulars," from what it seems, and they are generally poorer and on some type of assistance.

And why do they go there? Because they can. When one is not paying they bill they dont care how much it cost.

Old 03-23-2012, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Why don't you price a heart attack or a stroke for me instead? You know, the kind that unexpectedly hit people in their 40s, for example.

Why 40,s ? Why dont you want to talk about those in their 20,s and 30,s who are being forced to buy it. After all , they make up more then 1/2 of the 1 in 7.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies