Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2012, 07:57 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by badhornet View Post
All these Rambos on here kill me. They will be the first ones that shoot themselves in the foot. Unless you actually been in a combat situation in the past, you would ***** your drawers in a real firefight. Plinking cans in your backyard doesnt count. Saying you can fend off any scenario is fool hardy
Not in our area.

The guys practice all the time with fire arms, bow and arrow, radios and GPS systems. At least four days a week.

Of course they call it coon hunting with dogs.

Still, these skills will transfer nicely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2012, 07:57 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,480,513 times
Hell I was a kid in my early 20,s making $95k a yr. Did I mention that coke dealers were doing real well back then too?

Old 03-26-2012, 08:01 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,082,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post
Hell I was a kid in my early 20,s making $95k a yr. Did I mention that coke dealers were doing real well back then too?
That was a holdover from the disco days...you have to give Ford and Carter the credit for THAT

If you were turning 95k,you had me smoked back then...I was lucky to pull 35k during that era and spent that going from state to state where the small pockets of work was located.

Old 03-26-2012, 08:02 AM

Wow and I thought it was that kid from Weymouth Mass who Johnny Depp played in that movie.

Old 03-26-2012, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post
Wow and I thought it was that kid from Weymouth Mass who Johnny Depp played in that movie.
Naw...that's the movies baby....it was Ford and Carter...you don't think they just used Air Force 1 for moving themselves around do you...to much dinero to be made hanging with the Pablo's back then.

Old 03-26-2012, 08:14 AM

Hey it did turn Miami from a cow town to an international buss destination.

Old 03-26-2012, 08:27 AM

40 posts, read 60,284 times
[quote=clb10;23550180]I think it is important to be prepared in case there is a mass breakdown in peaceful society. I've read that a store of food that can last three to five months is a good start.

--First Aid Kit

--10 changes of clothing (also off season clothing)

--A sturdy shelter that can withstand a mob of unruly folks attacking it

--Fresh water (at least 100 gallons)

--books (not "e-books" but real books)

--games (for the kids to take their minds off of their fear)

--shotguns (and plenty of shells)

Note: If guns are illegal where you live then scratch this off your list

shelter/ warmth-dryness/

hydration - constant as their own separate subject.

First, let me go back over what I stressed at the end of my primary post, the imperative subjects of …

· Shelter
· Consistent warmth and dryness
· A stable and long term source of clean and available water
· A long term stockpile of food
· A base of woodsman skills to gather food from Nature
· A base of hunting and trapping skills to eat wild game.
· Methods and means and tactics and strategies for the defense of yourself and your loved ones…or even your newly formed and growing tribe.
· Recognizing the imperative of maintaining a healthy and positive and productive psychological/spiritual state of mind in order for you and your “tribe” to not just endure or survive the coming apocalypse but to grow and thrive and make the best of the new world.
· And other important categories,subjects …as time goes by.

Now, the above means that my primary posts will come in a large number of Part 1, Part 2, etc because this is a large base of information I am imparting here. If I attempted a comprehensive coverage of all the primary subjects above, I would be typing non-stop for a very, very long time.

I would eventually get so big headed and full of myself that I would tend to carry on the pretense of an actual writer, contact Random House Publishing, smoke a pipe (a tobacco pipe) churning out Gandalf smoke rings, slouch in a Lazy Boy recliner, and practice looking smug and superior.

Be that as it may…you took the time to write your response to my post and you seem to be a civil chap…or “chapette”, so I will respond…
“First Aid Kit” Yes…I agree a first aid kit is important. But equally over the long run is to learn how to use as much of Nature and your surrounding environment to deal with wounds, cuts, scrapes, and I will get into this area in subsequent posts.

“10 changes of clothing (also off season clothing)”

Yes, sturdy well-made outdoor clothing is very important. And ten changes / ten sets of clothing is reasonable to me…even more if you can swing it. You will need to factor in the needs of your tribe as you think about the reality of these kind of things. This base of clothing will clearly need to be stored at your survival shelter location. Hence, one of the many reasons your survival shelter location needs to be kept absolutely secret at all costs. Loose lips sink ships and, in this case, loose lips could mean the early and unfortunate demise of your entire tribe, clan, etc. Your shelter must be large enough to accommodate not only the living/sleeping habitation space of each of your tribe…but it must accommodate the storage of your essentials and good, sturdy, well made outdoor clothing is essential for your long term survival.
Keep in mind that, if you and your tribe manage to survive the first major stages of the collapse, you will eventually find yourself actually connecting with the reality of Nature and your environment and you will learn how to use the skins of your hunted game to make clothing. Over time, no matter how much clothing you store, it will wear out. So keep your eye on the big picture and learn skills NOW about how to butcher, skin and treat/tan your skins/hides so that your women folk can do their thing…make clothing. Hey ladies…don’t that sound so darned sexist? Oh yes. It is is sexist but it will be REALITY. The men of your tribe will be hunters (for as long the nearby game lasts) and you will be the domestic goddesses. Why? Because for thousands and thousands of years that has been the obvious division of labor. Why? Because …”me big and strong – can hunt and chase down big elk and haul it back to camp and grunt and cuss and grow wild beard, etc…while you can mend clothing, make clothing, gather nearby Nature made foods, make new tribal members-kids…etc.

But, I digress. Clothing – big time important. In the immediate term, consider a clothing and equipment source like Cabellas on the net. They have excellent clothing overall and great equipment but always focus on getting only the essential and most crucial items.

“A sturdy shelter that can withstand a mob of unruly folks attacking it”

Yes, I covered some of the shelter category in my first post of Part 1. The key to your shelter is that is an unknown location, it is a secret location; the fewer who know the better. You must locate your shelter far, far, far away from highly populated areas.

If you are unfortunate enough to find you and your tribe under actual attack from some marauding band of “evil doers” , well that is not a good circumstance to find yourselves in. First, let me stress that your shelter will need to be hidden and kept secret during the FIRST FIRST STAGE OF THE COLLAPSE. Once you settle into your area, then you will need to change the strategic and tactical picture of your situation. You will need to plan for a conversion your shelter area into an actual settlement and focus on stationary defenses.

Keep in mind, I will go into this kind of thing in subsequent posts in MORE DETAIL. Also, keep in mind that the attacker is almost always at an advantage in any battle. There is really no such thing in the history of mankind as a completely impregnable defensive position.

All defensive positions can, over time be taken. Read history. Read about what the French tried to do with their Maginot Line before WWII, or what medieval castle siege warfare, etc. All static defense positions can be taken, providing the attacker is well supplied and reinforced and outlast the defenders.

There are many cases, however, where the defender created a sufficient base of internal supplies of food and water sources/storage to withstand and outlast the attacking force…so I will stress this information as well as the kind of defensible structures/fortresses etc in FUTURE POSTS…..

“Fresh water (at least 100 gallons)”

Yes, a supply of fresh, clean water is imperative to immediate and long term survival. But you will need to look at the big picture. Let’s say you have a beginning tribe of eight members. Each member will need a minimum of one gallon to maintain daily health and, they will burning all kinds of calories/energy through their day working very hard to make your tribe and settlement/emerging village/pending castle/fortress….a strong one. Eight members = 8 gallons daily = alittle over 12 days of water supply. Not a very long time.

Both short and long term survival is like a profound chess game with fate. You must constantly think not just one or two or even three moves ahead, but seven, eight, ten moves ahead. I assume I am addressing a potential tribal leader here…not a follower. If I am addressing a leader, you must constantly anticipate what you and your people will be facing over both the short and especially long term and plan and take actions well in advance accordingly.

YOU WILL NEED TO FACTOR IN THE DEMAND FOR AN AMPLE SOURCE OF ONGOING FRESH WATER IN THE IMMEDIATE AREA OF YOUR SHELTER AS A BASE CONDITION FOR YOU TO DECIDE ON A SHELTER LOCATION IN THE FIRST PLACE. Without that water source, either above or below ground or both in your immediate vicinity, you will find yourself in a very bad way relatively quickly.
I WILL GET MORE INTO THE WATER SUBJECT IN FUTURE POSTS.

“books (not "e-books" but real books”
“games (for the kids to take their minds off of their fear”
Books have their importance. This is assuming you can choose just a handful of books to keep stored at your survival location in advance. You are obviously not going to be easily able to haul books in your bug out bag if you find yourself and your new tribal members fleeing your present locations because you waited too long to make a permanent move to your shelter/survival location.

I would suggest you get some resource books on woodcraft/natural foraging and food gathering as well as overall long term survival skills as an information base to go to. However, for whatever reasons you may not be able to do this, so books are wonderful but you can’t eat books so they are not a direct do or die necessity.

And that goes for kiddy games or toys. Leave that stuff where it lays at your now former domicile. Both you, your wife, your kids and your fellow tribal members are not going to have time or be in the mood for Monopoly as the collapse takes place.

Okay….on second thought …bring for both you and your fellow adults as well as the kiddies …bring a small chess board and pieces…because if they eventually have any free time at all…chess will teach them how to think and what to think and the importance of sustained, concentrated thought. It will teach them the importance of strategy and tactics and how to outthink their opponents in advance.
But, for the most part, at least in the first few years, you will be up to your eyeballs in alligators (as my Southern buddies like to put it).

“shotguns (and plenty of shells)”

Yes, tribal defense is obviously important. The reality of the crisis demands the sober reality of having to defend yourself and your loved ones as well as fellow tribal members. Unfortunately, there are those of us who are ruled by fear and are prone to want to do nasty and unpolite things to our fellow pilgrims on earth. This has proven to be a sad fact throughout human recorded history.

As time goes, the surviving few who remain on earth will realize that they will need to live in a state of harmony and cooperation with one another in order to both survive and endure the coming calamity but also to eventually thrive and live as much of a decent life as possible.
On the other hand, one must deal with the realities “on the ground” and that means realizing that you and your fellow tribal members will need to hone defensive fighting skills as well as potential defensive counter attack skills if you find yourself faced with a group of people deadest on taking your lives, raping and enslaving your women, etc.

Yup, pretty ugly I know but if you have a great desire to remain alive and to keep the lives of your loved ones and tribal members alive in that kind of world, you will “do what I need to I need to do”.
I will get into the subject of firearms and long term weapons/tools and strategies and tactics for tribal defenses as well as the eventual long term need to form strategic defensive and trading alliances with other nearby tribes in later posts.

“shelter/ warmth-dryness/”

“hydration - constant as their own separate subject.”

I have addressed the first part of Part 1 regarding the basic survival shelter ideas in my first post but I will elaborate and go into more detail in future posts. Hydration and water supply I will get into in subsequent posts.

Okay, pilgrim….thanks for the polite and respectful response to my original “base” Post and I will go onto to the other responses.

I will only take the time and energy to respond to people who don’t find the need to be insulting, hateful, disrespectful, or incapable of holding sustained thought. There are folks on City Data who make it their prime passion in life to roam these threads and proceed to try and trash talk the daylights of every subject they come across, especially the threads they don’t a prayer of a chance of even remotel understanding.
All other pilgrims …if you take the time to respond respectively, I will take the time to respond back in kind.

I really don't take this subject matter as a debating platform either like in alot of CD. If you don't agree with my various "takes" on survival and the coming collapse, I understand and respect your right to see things your own way. But the time for bs debates is over.

Make a plan and take action NOW.

Last edited by SmilingWolf; 03-26-2012 at 08:38 AM..

Old 03-26-2012, 08:34 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times
Having supplies is good but, why hide????

Meet the invaders head on.

Old 03-26-2012, 08:41 AM

[quote=SmilingWolf;23572866]
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
I think it is important to be prepared in case there is a mass breakdown in peaceful society. I've read that a store of food that can last three to five months is a good start.

--First Aid Kit

shelter/ warmth-dryness/

hydration - constant as their own separate subject.

First, let me go back over what I stressed at the end of my primary post, the imperative subjects of …

· Shelter
· Consistent warmth and dryness
· A stable and long term source of clean and available water
· A long term stockpile of food
· A base of woodsman skills to gather food from Nature
· A base of hunting and trapping skills to eat wild game.
· Methods and means and tactics and strategies for the defense of yourself and your loved ones…or even your newly formed and growing tribe.
· Recognizing the imperative of maintaining a healthy and positive and productive psychological/spiritual state of mind in order for you and your “tribe” to not just endure or survive the coming apocalypse but to grow and thrive and make the best of the new world.
· And other important categories,subjects …as time goes by.

Now, the above means that my primary posts will come in a large number of Part 1, Part 2, etc because this is a large base of information I am imparting here. If I attempted a comprehensive coverage of all the primary subjects above, I would be typing non-stop for a very, very long time.

I would eventually get so big headed and full of myself that I would tend to carry on the pretense of an actual writer, contact Random House Publishing, smoke a pipe (a tobacco pipe) churning out Gandalf smoke rings, slouch in a Lazy Boy recliner, and practice looking smug and superior.

Be that as it may…you took the time to write your response to my post and you seem to be a civil chap…or “chapette”, so I will respond…
“First Aid Kit” Yes…I agree a first aid kit is important. But equally over the long run is to learn how to use as much of Nature and your surrounding environment to deal with wounds, cuts, scrapes, and I will get into this area in subsequent posts.

“10 changes of clothing (also off season clothing)”

Yes, sturdy well-made outdoor clothing is very important. And ten changes / ten sets of clothing is reasonable to me…even more if you can swing it. You will need to factor in the needs of your tribe as you think about the reality of these kind of things. This base of clothing will clearly need to be stored at your survival shelter location. Hence, one of the many reasons your survival shelter location needs to be kept absolutely secret at all costs. Loose lips sink ships and, in this case, loose lips could mean the early and unfortunate demise of your entire tribe, clan, etc. Your shelter must be large enough to accommodate not only the living/sleeping habitation space of each of your tribe…but it must accommodate the storage of your essentials and good, sturdy, well made outdoor clothing is essential for your long term survival.
Keep in mind that, if you and your tribe manage to survive the first major stages of the collapse, you will eventually find yourself actually connecting with the reality of Nature and your environment and you will learn how to use the skins of your hunted game to make clothing. Over time, no matter how much clothing you store, it will wear out. So keep your eye on the big picture and learn skills NOW about how to butcher, skin and treat/tan your skins/hides so that your women folk can do their thing…make clothing. Hey ladies…don’t that sound so darned sexist? Oh yes. It is is sexist but it will be REALITY. The men of your tribe will be hunters (for as long the nearby game lasts) and you will be the domestic goddesses. Why? Because for thousands and thousands of years that has been the obvious division of labor. Why? Because …”me big and strong – can hunt and chase down big elk and haul it back to camp and grunt and cuss and grow wild beard, etc…while you can mend clothing, make clothing, gather nearby Nature made foods, make new tribal members-kids…etc.

But, I digress. Clothing – big time important. In the immediate term, consider a clothing and equipment source like Cabellas on the net. They have excellent clothing overall and great equipment but always focus on getting only the essential and most crucial items.

“A sturdy shelter that can withstand a mob of unruly folks attacking it”

Yes, I covered some of the shelter category in my first post of Part 1. The key to your shelter is that is an unknown location, it is a secret location; the fewer who know the better. You must locate your shelter far, far, far away from highly populated areas.

If you are unfortunate enough to find you and your tribe under actual attack from some marauding band of “evil doers” , well that is not a good circumstance to find yourselves in. First, let me stress that your shelter will need to be hidden and kept secret during the FIRST FIRST STAGE OF THE COLLAPSE. Once you settle into your area, then you will need to change the strategic and tactical picture of your situation. You will need to plan for a conversion your shelter area into an actual settlement and focus on stationary defenses.

Keep in mind, I will go into this kind of thing in subsequent posts in MORE DETAIL. Also, keep in mind that the attacker is almost always at an advantage in any battle. There is really no such thing in the history of mankind as a completely impregnable defensive position.

All defensive positions can, over time be taken. Read history. Read about what the French tried to do with their Maginot Line before WWII, or what medieval castle siege warfare, etc. All static defense positions can be taken, providing the attacker is well supplied and reinforced and outlast the defenders.

There are many cases, however, where the defender created a sufficient base of internal supplies of food and water sources/storage to withstand and outlast the attacking force…so I will stress this information as well as the kind of defensible structures/fortresses etc in FUTURE POSTS…..

“Fresh water (at least 100 gallons)”

Yes, a supply of fresh, clean water is imperative to immediate and long term survival. But you will need to look at the big picture. Let’s say you have a beginning tribe of eight members. Each member will need a minimum of one gallon to maintain daily health and, they will burning all kinds of calories/energy through their day working very hard to make your tribe and settlement/emerging village/pending castle/fortress….a strong one. Eight members = 8 gallons daily = alittle over 12 days of water supply.

Both short and long term survival is like a profound chess game with fate. You must constantly think not just one or two or even three moves ahead, but seven, eight, ten moves ahead. I assume I am addressing a potential tribal leader here…not a follower. If I am addressing a leader, you must constantly anticipate what you and your people will be facing over both the short and especially long term and plan and take actions well in advance accordingly.

YOU WILL NEED TO FACTOR IN THE DEMAND FOR AN AMPLE SOURCE OF ONGOING FRESH WATER IN THE IMMEDIATE AREA OF YOUR SHELTER AS A BASE CONDITION FOR YOU TO DECIDE ON A SHELTER LOCATION IN THE FIRST PLACE. Without that water source, either above or below ground or both in your immediate vicinity, you will find yourself in a very bad way relatively quickly.
I WILL GET MORE INTO THE WATER SUBJECT IN FUTURE POSTS.

“books (not "e-books" but real books”
“games (for the kids to take their minds off of their fear”
Books have their importance. This is assuming you can choose just a handful of books to keep stored at your survival location in advance. You are obviously not going to be easily able to haul books in your bug out bag if you find yourself and your new tribal members fleeing your present locations because you waited too long to make a permanent move to your shelter/survival location.

I would suggest you get some resource books on woodcraft/natural foraging and food gathering as well as overall long term survival skills as an information base to go to. However, for whatever reasons you may not be able to do this, so books are wonderful but you can’t eat books so they are not a direct do or die necessity.

And that goes for kiddy games or toys. Leave that stuff where it lays at your now former domicile. Both you, your wife, your kids and your fellow tribal members are not going to have time or be in the mood for Monopoly as the collapse takes place.

Okay….on second thought …bring for both you and your fellow adults as well as the kiddies …bring a small chess board and pieces…because if they eventually have any free time at all…chess will teach them how to think and what to think and the importance of sustained, concentrated thought. It will teach them the importance of strategy and tactics and how to outthink their opponents in advance.
But, for the most part, at least in the first few years, you will be up to your eyeballs in alligators (as my Southern buddies like to put it).

“shotguns (and plenty of shells)”

Yes, tribal defense is obviously important. The reality of the crisis demands the sober reality of having to defend yourself and your loved ones as well as fellow tribal members. Unfortunately, there are those of us who are ruled by fear and are prone to want to do nasty and unpolite things to our fellow pilgrims on earth. This has proven to be a sad fact throughout human recorded history.

As time goes, the surviving few who remain on earth will realize that they will need to live in a state of harmony and cooperation with one another in order to both survive and endure the coming calamity but also to eventually thrive and live as much of a decent life as possible.
On the other hand, one must deal with the realities “on the ground” and that means realizing that you and your fellow tribal members will need to hone defensive fighting skills as well as potential defensive counter attack skills if you find yourself faced with a group of people deadest on taking your lives, raping and enslaving your women, etc.

Yup, pretty ugly I know but if you have a great desire to remain alive and to keep the lives of your loved ones and tribal members alive in that kind of world, you will “do what I need to I need to do”.
I will get into the subject of firearms and long term weapons/tools and strategies and tactics for tribal defenses as well as the eventual long term need to form strategic defensive and trading alliances with other nearby tribes in later posts.

“shelter/ warmth-dryness/”

“hydration - constant as their own separate subject.”

I have addressed the first part of Part 1 regarding the basic survival shelter ideas in my first post but I will elaborate and go into more detail in future posts. Hydration and water supply I will get into in subsequent posts.

Okay, pilgrim….thanks for the polite and respectful response to my original “base” Post and I will go onto to the other responses.

I will only take the time and energy to respond to people who don’t find the need to be insulting, hateful, disrespectful, or incapable of holding sustained thought. There are folks on City Data who make it their prime passion in life to roam these threads and proceed to try and trash talk the daylights of every subject they come across, especially the threads they don’t a prayer of a chance of even remotel understanding.
All other pilgrims …if you take the time to respond respectively, I will take the time to respond back in kind.

I really don't take this subject matter as a debating platform either like in alot of CD. If you don't agree with my various "takes" on survival and the coming collapse, I understand and respect your right to see things your own way. But the time for bs debates is over.

Make a plan and take action NOW.
Those of us that live in the brush have a different list...we already have all of those things plus more around us daily...I'm not really sure what you or other posters are getting at...are you talking a natural disaster?Are you talking something else? The lists would be completely different for different circumstances....tornado? drive to the next town to resupply,MAJOR earthquake=different scenario....I take this all seriously,but different things equal different supplies/plans for you and your family/friends.

Old 03-26-2012, 08:58 AM

40 posts, read 60,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
I think it is important to be prepared in case there is a mass breakdown in peaceful society. I've read that a store of food that can last three to five months is a good start.

--First Aid Kit

--gold and silver bullion

What else should one consider to protect themselves from violent mobs who may be heading your one's way?
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
You forgot food... among candles (assuming no electricity)... wood/wood pellets (for a fire in case its winter) with a fireplace/or whatever heating element you want.. there is probably a bunch more...
Nope. Didn't forget something as essential as FOOD or FIRE.... I have already stressed that the food category WILL BE COVERED IN SUBSEQUENT POSTS.

Just creating a "shopping list" of survival items and leaving it at that isn't going to cut it. I will go into each essential category as time goes by in subsequent posts.

The devil is always in the details. Details on essential and crucial survival subjects and items and categories take time to elaborate on and explain.

With respect to my fellow pilgrim...keep your shirt on. We'll get to the wide world of food and fire and a ton of other things as time goes by.

In mean time...keep your powder dry and focus on well thought out and organized preparations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies