Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 12:34 AM

2,935 posts, read 5,000,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
How will your life be different if there are no gorillas? I really cant think of any way that it would affect my life or my childrens at all!
If man were not even on the planet, there would be one species of animal wiping out another, thats what they do, eat each other until they find something else to eat!
But they don't drive other species to extinction nearly as fast as humans do, though, instead other species tend to develop in a lasting net of ecological relationships, humans are the only ones who tear everything down and destroy huge swaths of habitat across the globe...

As for the "how will your life be different if there are no gorillas," what about the "sanctity of life" that social conservatives regard as an absolute? Is only human life important? I'm not a PETA member or anything but I can't see the moral justification in unneccesarily allowing so many species of animals and plants to completely disappear, some of them among the most intelligent animals on Earth and some plants among those that could potentially contain disease-curing chemicals...

Are animals like gorillas so different from us that their lives should be regarded as worthless? And how will kids feel growing up centuries later with only half the number of animal species we have now, wondering what this or that now common creature would have looked and acted like when we could save them for future generations instead?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2007, 01:56 AM

2,096 posts, read 1,469,347 times
I wonder how many plants and animals have become extinct even before humans were around. Maybe it is the natural order of things. There are so many plants and animals they have yet to discover.

What about the sanctity of life? Is only human life important? I believe it is clear that human life is far less important than any animal’s life as witnessed with the pro-abortion crowd. While I hate to see any animal become extinct, I will cherish an animal’s life when human life is cherished. Protecting human life should come first.

Old 09-13-2007, 04:44 AM

1,565 posts, read 4,311,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citigirl View Post
I wonder how many plants and animals have become extinct even before humans were around. Maybe it is the natural order of things. There are so many plants and animals they have yet to discover.

What about the sanctity of life? Is only human life important? I believe it is clear that human life is far less important than any animal’s life as witnessed with the pro-abortion crowd. While I hate to see any animal become extinct, I will cherish an animal’s life when human life is cherished. Protecting human life should come first.
Because people are afraid of change. That's why they are horrified of global warming and loss of animals.

And half the people probably don't even believe in evolution.

Old 09-13-2007, 06:17 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,672,077 times
I seriously cant believe the talk here. Oh all these animals are going extinct, boo hoo. Wow.

If we care so little about these animals, then I guess it shows how humans really are. I value human life over all others, but how exactly do Gorillas hurt humans, or dolphins, or gazelle or manatees?. These are not dying out naturally people, we are killing them. natural death would be one thing but illegal poaching ,disease brought by man and just general uncaring of their home as we take it, is what is doing it.

Old 09-13-2007, 06:58 AM

5,168 posts, read 11,439,950 times
We will be gone, too, if we keep going the way we are and good riddance to our species. We have done more damage to the planet than any other "animal" that has existed.

Old 09-13-2007, 10:18 AM

7,331 posts, read 15,389,527 times
What I don't get is the "Better them than us" attitude. Yeah. Human life is important. Do you really think we couldn't enjoy a solid quality of life AND protect endangered species?

Old 09-13-2007, 10:24 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,672,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
What I don't get is the "Better them than us" attitude. Yeah. Human life is important. Do you really think we couldn't enjoy a solid quality of life AND protect endangered species?
Exactly!!! Sometimes I have wondered who is really "better".

Old 09-13-2007, 10:33 AM

9,891 posts, read 10,825,432 times
Default feel good story

this will help lift you up.The abandoned monkey who has found love with a pigeon | the Daily Mail

Old 09-14-2007, 01:11 AM

502 posts, read 1,066,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
How will your life be different if there are no gorillas? I really cant think of any way that it would affect my life or my childrens at all!
To wit: How would my life be any different if you weren't on the planet anymore? What good do you do me?

Silas, buddy, it ain't about you. It's a sanctity of life/responsible stewardship thing.

Old 09-14-2007, 08:04 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
A cursory study of geology soon reveals there are far more species extinct than are now alive. Life is still here and I think will be here until the sun eventually runs out of hydrogen. Even my favorite species, Homo Industralis Wal Martis, will not destroy the planet or life on the planet. However, we do have the capacity to make life for humans very difficult as well as the capacity to hasten the extinction of many other creatures. I can only hope, against observation, that we have the foresight to realize that creation conditions that drive other creatures to extinction may only hasten our own.

Preserving a health environment for all creatures is in our long term self interest even if it costs some people their short-term economic gain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies