Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2012, 10:52 AM

13,221 posts, read 12,320,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
Tell me when American Indians were bought and sold like cattle. When their children were taken away from them to be traded for livestock.

FYI, I am very familiar with the Trail of Tears and while it was a travesty, it doesn't compare to 200 years of slavery.

The above post is truly one of the most ignorantly vapid that I have ever read. It speaks volumes about its author.

Thank you for pointing that out
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2012, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
What? NCN was polite but straight up with her posts. American Indians DID get a raw deal but it wasn't just white people who did the deed. Many AI nations were nasty to each other too.

NO 1 is telling Black people they have to stay in the US if racism is so powerful for them. I'm quite sure many countries in Africa could use the skills of many American Blacks.
WTF! Will he extend that to other races as well? At least they have a point of origin to return to. Why should the blacks who anecestors have build this country return to ......where? no1 has proably one of the dumbest post that I have ever seen Italy is in bad shape I wonder if wants to push that through the Italian Americans

Old 05-23-2012, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I'm dealing with what is around today. What do violent Irish people have to do with anything. FYI Black crime rates were just as high during this period.
Ah wrong again, during prohibition blacks were being terrorized throughout the south with jim crow laws and lynchings. During that time Irish, Italian, Jewish gangsters were the mainstay of criminal activities.

KNOW THE HISTORY OF THIS COUNTRY BEFORE YOU MAKE DUMB STATEMENTS!

Old 05-23-2012, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynight View Post
Going by that logic we should just erase history from our curriculum. Would you be in favor of it?
He can't be in favor of something that he knows very little about

Old 05-23-2012, 11:21 AM

6,454 posts, read 7,010,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
I guess the obvious never occurred to you either. Whites have the options to vote for more than one candidate that has their own best interest at heart. this is the main reason why mitt is all over the place as to who to appeal to. I have mentioned this in a earlier post on a different forum but maybe you can understand this

The republican candidates and who their targeted audiences:

mitt romney - Mormons, wealthy
rick santorum- religious extremist
newt- racist, limited education

All of the above have said or did something negative towards black americans so why in the hell should blacks support them?

Now wealthy blacks tend to vote republican but you rarely hear anything from them unless they are atheletes or entertainers.
It's only "obvious" to you because you have already been indoctrinated with the the belief that one party is "racist" while the other one is not.

Like I said before "white interests" generally are not ethnically driven or culturally homogenous. A white making 32k in Texas has different set of values and interests than a white person in NY making 32k does. Blacks do as well, but the key adhesive that motivates blacks in Texas to have the very same voting patterns as someone black in NY does regardless of income, is the guise of "racism."

And as for your examples, you've made my point for me. While I'm not entirely too sure about Mitt Romney saying anything regarded as racist, I can name several Democrats who have just done the same, but their actions and words were conveniently ignored.

Anything from Bill Clinton going into his "black talk saxaphone playing spiel" to Obama who takes on hip hop venecular when he comes into contact with black audiences. Just thinking about it, I can recall when the black establishment cornered him on adressing some BLACK issues and he responded with a lot of things that would have been interpreted as "racist" had it come from a Republican candidate. But it went ignored.

Hey even Hillary Clinton did a"talking black" rendition during her primary and it was quietly swept under the rug:

WTF MOMENTS HILLARY TALKING BLACK - YouTube

Hillary was at one time desparate to win the primary and she reached out to " hard working rural working class whites"

Quote:
In an interview with USA Today, Hillary Clinton cited an AP article "that found how Sen. Obama's support among working, hard-working Americans, white Americans, is weakening again, and how whites in both states who had not completed college were supporting me."
www.cbsnews.com/8301-502163_162-4080656-502163.html

Where's the backlash against the Dems? Why hasn't Spike Lee, Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton and other blacks in these closed circles called them out on that?

I can't even begin to imagine what the reaction would have been if Mitt Romney said anything remotely like that.

Even Joe Biden said some chit in Delware before 08' about Indians all being 711 owners and "buying up everything" and no one said a word to him about it.

Last edited by itshim; 05-23-2012 at 11:31 AM..

Old 05-23-2012, 12:10 PM

73,019 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
Of course. There's nothing newsworthy about people behaving normally. Hence no publicity.

This applies to all cultures/groups.
A sad fact of life. I've always said this is how the media works. If it bleeds it leads. Sure, Cornel West, who wrote about Black Nihilism in his book Race Matters, will appear on the Tavis Smiley Show. Sure, PBS will have a show featuring Neil DeGrasse Tyson. However, none of these men are as popular as Li'L Wayne, TI, or some Dirty South rapper. Before TI, when you mentioned TI, it was usually Texas Instruments calculators you were referring to. Nowadays, TI is more about the rapper than the TI-84 caulculator. On MTV, Snooki acting a fool(and she's not Black), The Kardashian girls, or Flavor Flav gets more attention than the aforementioned Black men(Tavis Smiley, Cornel West, and Neil DeGrasse Tyson). It is like someone said before. If it bleeds it leads. Black men behaving like criminals gets alot of attention in the context of "they are killers". When people mention "Black culture", I have to ask "What part of Black culture"?

Old 05-23-2012, 12:24 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,089,392 times
Quote:
Ok with that being said, since there are only two viable political parties it just seems to me that blacks overall are voting for the party that will do the LEAST amount of harm to them. Republicans throughout recent history have made a point to ignore the plight of black America (and the poor for that matter) and this years political joke has reenforced that theme
I have no argument to that at all. You presented it based on what you've seen/experienced and didn't try to paint a broad brush; I can respect that.

Old 05-23-2012, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
Interesting wording, and it's a valid argument, but I don't think most AAs see it that way. And this is just from my personal perspective but it appears that AAs tend to go for the party that will do the MOST for them, as opposed to doing the "least harm." I don't think AAs are generally weary or suspicious of the DP's sincerity in the least. As for Republicans, I generally think that AAs receive less attention from them due to the fact that the 'black establishment' (the powers that be of black congressmen, priests, the NAACP and other organizations, black academics etc etc) who control the base and are Democrats themselves, have made it clear that they have no interest in negotiating anything with the Republicans. Many times they even refuse to even allow Republican speakers to make a "pitch" to them. The black vote is primarily controlled through that very closed circle of black socialites. Heck, as of late, it seems like Jay Z has recently been inducted into this small circle as well after his backing of Obama's endorsement of same-sex marriages.

Now if you want to see how this plays out with other ethnic groups, then there's no better evidence than you have with Latinos. They are a 'swing vote' in some ways and both parties are aware of that and therefore try to address their interests. You never really know who their majority vote is going to go in any Presidential election, but they seem to gain something regardless as a result of that. With blacks IMO it appears to be a win/lose situation.

Actually if you really listen to the rhetoric of the republican party the democrats really don't have to say anything in order to get the black vote. The republicans have constantly attacked blacks publicly, basically stating that they don't need thier votes and therefore have done nothing to gain them either. Unfortunately, they (the dems) have taken the black vote for granted and have often caved to anything that the republicans wanted regarding their well being

Old 05-23-2012, 01:24 PM

835 posts, read 1,040,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
But the thing is, it is one segment of Black culture that is violent, and unfortunately, that part of Black culture is speaking the loudest. This violence is evident in the hip-hop culture. How it got this violent? Look no further than the drug epidemic. R&B and jazz doesn't have that violent culture. It's a part of Black culture. Gospel music is a big part of Black culture, and it is ANYTHING BUT VIOLENT. The hip-hop culture has been the violent part of Black culture, and that part of the culture is speaking louder than anything else.

Hip-Hop is just violent black culture?

There is a white artist that calls himself "Machine gun Kelly".

Hip Hop is apart of any culture that listens to it.

You should know that some of hip hops biggest consumers live in the suburbs.

There is no such thing as black music. It can't be "Black culture" if whites and Hispanics are doing it too.

Old 05-23-2012, 01:49 PM

7,783 posts, read 6,085,935 times
Quote:
Ok with that being said, since there are only two viable political parties it just seems to me that blacks overall are voting for the party that will do the LEAST amount of harm to them. Republicans throughout recent history have made a point to ignore the plight of black America (and the poor for that matter) and this years political joke has reenforced that theme
Republicans do not ignore blacks. Blacks just fail to see that they are included in what the Republicans have to offer, ie: jobs, a better economy etc. If you really look at the Republican platform, it encompasses everyone without pandering to each and every small group with their hands out.

If your eyes aren't open, it's not our fault.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies