Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 01:02 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,187,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
If the kids protested the REAL source of the schools failing.....many of their classmates, they'd be beaten and shot. My college roomate went to one of THOSE types of schools before eventually escaping to a magnate school....the thing that saved his butt and let him succeed is that some of his older cousins were hardcore bangers and he was *protected* and kept a damn low profile.
I was in DC public schools in 7th and 8th grade (early 80's). Got in a couple of fights because I was quiet and did my work. Thankfully I was big enough to hold my own. There was the pressure to be "down" and not do your work and get bad or mediocre grades. But being in a military family, I had to keep myself in line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2012, 01:05 PM

1,389 posts, read 1,312,942 times
I like how the principal in "Lean on Me" did things, kick all the bums out.

Old 04-03-2012, 01:11 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,418,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
I was in DC public schools in 7th and 8th grade (early 80's). Got in a couple of fights because I was quiet and did my work. Thankfully I was big enough to hold my own. There was the pressure to be "down" and not do your work and get bad or mediocre grades. But being in a military family, I had to keep myself in line.
Sadly that pressure still exists 30 years later. One administrator at a PG County middle school told me kids will do their homework but won't turn it in. He ends up finding them crumpled in their lockers. He also has students who could easily pass a test but deliberately get answers wrong as not to appear smart. The anti-intellectualism in the black community is one of the saddest things wrong with it in my opinion.

Old 04-03-2012, 01:24 PM

78,417 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Anti-intellectualism is rampant in the US especially towards males and especially in poorer areas.

Old 04-03-2012, 01:32 PM

1,389 posts, read 1,312,942 times
Welfare disincentivize the effort to improve oneself, intellectually.

Old 04-03-2012, 01:37 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,207,906 times
Quote:
Let me spell out some things for you.

1. You don't know me and what I do.

2. I don't set myself up as the savior of black people like Jesse and Al. They rally the masses and shake down the corporations - supposedly for minorities when it is really for themselves - and in the end minorities are not helped.

3. I have three kids 17, 13, 11 - all black by birth. This is my focus for now. The 17 year old is a nat'l merit semifinalist. I am often helping my kids re-learn algebra from crappy teachers - last night was quadratic equations (which I still know without research) w/ my 13yr old. I have tutored other kids in my church when asked. That's my part at this time. When they are gone, then I will consider expanding things to directly impact kids.

4. My part for now is voting out anyone who supports the status quo for this wreck of an education system.
You don't need to spell anything out to me, I was not trying to offend you, or claim to know anything about you.
YOU made a post regarding Jesse, and AL, coming to the rescue, I simply stated that people need to get up and do something if they truly care about an issue.

Old 04-03-2012, 01:41 PM

50,291 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Anti-intellectualism is rampant in the US especially towards males and especially in poorer areas.
It's not just poor areas. My Son is dealing with this right now at a very good school. He gets bullied because he gets the best grades in his GATE program. I was pretty blown away by it to be honest.

He's big enough to hold his own but I don't want him fighting over grades.

But a couple of the posters have it right. It begins at home. The most disruptive students at this school have Parents no one ever sees. The school is their babysitter.

Old 04-03-2012, 01:57 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,187,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
You don't need to spell anything out to me, I was not trying to offend you, or claim to know anything about you.
YOU made a post regarding Jesse, and AL, coming to the rescue, I simply stated that people need to get up and do something if they truly care about an issue.
BS

You posted directly to ME to do something. You called me out for the purpose of diminishing what I said previously - I know how it works. So don't give me this crap that you were stating that people in general need to do something. Are you kidding me??

Old 04-03-2012, 02:03 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,207,906 times
Quote:
BS

You posted directly to ME to do something. You called me out for the purpose of diminishing what I said previously - I know how it works. So don't give me this crap that you were stating that people in general need to do something. Are you kidding me??
Call it whatever you will, I know what I meant when I posted. Take it however you want.

Old 04-03-2012, 02:24 PM

78,417 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
His point about AL or Jesse is spot on though. They show up when it's a clear social injustice or often in Jesses case when a corporation get's in hot water and he can show up and collect a payday for mediating.

They show up when it's sexy or politically expedient like the anti-war movement that Sharpton glommed onto or Trayvon or Tawana Brawley.

Calling out the crap going on with Detroit schools is kryptonite for guys like that. That's for dummies like Bill Cosby to address and then get ripped apart.

If shootings get particularily bad or some really good kids get accidentally gunned down then Sharpton will show up for peace marches and to blame guns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies