Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 09:19 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,334,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmsterp View Post
But how much has it increased relative to demand? Honest question, I don't know. But I know demand has rapidly increased. I'm glad there has been a lot of development of private lands for drilling, I hope we can do more of it and do it on public lands as well.
There's PLENTY of development going on public land as well. The problem is it doesn't make much difference in the world price of oil. Third World consumption of oil is growing FAR FASTER than we could ever HOPE to keep up with - no matter HOW MUCH we drill, prices are going to go UP.

Ken
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2012, 09:21 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times
Quote:
The 15 most persuasive explanations for the economic crisis. - Slate Magazine
Not exactly a conservative source here. But certainly more reliable than whatever blog you found. It mentions many possibilities, some of which I think make sense, some which seem sort of out there. But none of the explanations involve gas prices.
Then what is the worry about the present price of gas?

Old 04-10-2012, 09:21 AM

1,347 posts, read 1,088,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Why should private companies drill on public land, that belongs to all of us, just to export more for their own profit?
Oil is a global commodity. An increase in world supply drives down world prices.

There is already lots of drilling on public lands, but the Obama administration has put a moratorium on new permits. But it's not a new concept.

Old 04-10-2012, 09:22 AM

1,347 posts, read 1,088,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Then what is the worry about the present price of gas?
Um, because we have to pay for it?

Old 04-10-2012, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Oil is a global commodity. An increase in world supply drives down world prices.

There is already lots of drilling on public lands, but the Obama administration has put a moratorium on new permits. But it's not a new concept.
You think America can make a dent in the world demand of oil?

If there is a world-wide shortage of oil, time to start working hard on alternative energy sources!

Old 04-10-2012, 09:26 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,334,196 times
Quote:

Only a moratorium on OFFSHORE drilling AFTER the massively expensive Gulf oil spill. There was no moratorium on permits anywhere else on Federal lands. PLENTY of such permits have been issued over the last few years - more than in any of the Clinton years OR Bush 41 years. In fact, in the last 24 years there's only been 5 years with MORE permits issued than the LOWEST year under Obama.

Table08

Ken

Last edited by LordBalfor; 04-10-2012 at 09:37 AM..

Old 04-10-2012, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Um, because we have to pay for it?
No problem with the high price of gas causing a recession, according to you. So, therefore, why would it be a problem?

Old 04-20-2012, 05:43 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,153,076 times
Thank you , Obama! The gas prices are starting to come down and it's all your doing! Thank you so much! You are a great president!

Right? , righties!!!

Old 04-25-2012, 10:40 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,950,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Thank you , Obama! The gas prices are starting to come down and it's all your doing! Thank you so much! You are a great president!

Right? , righties!!!
Come down? I paid over $4/gal in my area....but that's the new normal, isn't it?

Wait til summer.

Old 04-25-2012, 10:55 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,452,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Gas Prices Grow More Under Obama than Carter - Washington Whispers (usnews.com)

Goodness, Obama sure is breaking records, right and Left, isn't he?

I'm sure this is not the headline obama wants to see, being compared to the second worse president ever.
Clue: Presidents do not control the market price of oil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies