Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2012, 08:08 PM

1,765 posts, read 2,197,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Actually, I think bg edited her post b/c the part about "pushing" a police officer is now gone. Also, she brushes off the domestic violence again as "pushing". The finacee got a restraining order against him (and he against her), so I'd guess Zimmerman did more than just "push".
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
I didn't edit a darn thing. You need to get some fresh air, your posts to me are irrational. I didn't say one thing about "poor little Georgie."

He was arrested for pushing a cop who was trying to arrest his friend. That's been reported in a ton of sources. Hell, even the Daily Kos published that:

Daily Kos: Arresting George Zimmerman not enough

I didn't comment on the restraining order because Zimmerman also got one against her at the same time, so it's hard to know what happened there without more details.

Feel free to apologize at any time.
+5 to you brentwoodgirl Oh, and BTW ^^ that is very unlikely to happen...

(Oh darn there I go again editorializing )

Old 04-14-2012, 08:08 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,045,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rukiddin View Post
Just wondering, what would be a satisfactory answer to the question?
If he told me with a straight face that he's been saving up his allowance and bought it for his girlfriend, for instance, that's a good answer.

If he told me that he found it, I'd ask where, and ask if he planned on trying to find out who it belonged to. And if no one claimed it for a few weeks, then it's his unless someone came up and claimed it later.

There's a multitude of satsifactory answers, and a multitude of body language cues that need to follow these answers. Anyone who is a parent would be able to find out if their child was lying about it easily. And if I found out that it was stolen, especially at the age of 16, the consequences that follows would be returning it to the owner and leaving it up to them to press charges the first time, and the second time, taking them to the police precinct myself (depending on the amount, of course.)

Old 04-14-2012, 08:11 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,283,089 times
Zimmerman: Anatomy Of An Deficient Probable Cause Affidavit

Zimmerman: Anatomy Of An Deficient Probable Cause Affidavit | emptywheel

In short, it is ****. To be honest, this affidavit, within its “four corners” arguably does not even meet the necessary burden of probable cause for Manslaughter under Florida section 782.07, much less the “depraved mind” necessary under Florida’s Second Degree Murder charge under section 782.04(2) as charged in the information. George Zimmerman may have committed a crime, but it is not demonstrated in this affidavit, and certainly is not as to the crime charged, Second Degree Murder.

Old 04-14-2012, 08:12 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,853,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
Zimmerman: Anatomy Of An Deficient Probable Cause Affidavit

Zimmerman: Anatomy Of An Deficient Probable Cause Affidavit | emptywheel

In short, it is ****. To be honest, this affidavit, within its “four corners” arguably does not even meet the necessary burden of probable cause for Manslaughter under Florida section 782.07, much less the “depraved mind” necessary under Florida’s Second Degree Murder charge under section 782.04(2) as charged in the information. George Zimmerman may have committed a crime, but it is not demonstrated in this affidavit, and certainly is not as to the crime charged, Second Degree Murder.
All it takes is one juror with real common sense and George Zimmerman will never see a day in prison, let's hope commons sense prevails in this case.

Old 04-14-2012, 08:13 PM

96 posts, read 81,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Did you ever read the actual report when it was available? It stated he interfered in a sting operation where minors were being served. After he was told to stay out of it, the ATF officers identified themselves and he yelled "I don't care who you are, F-you." Unless someone who works for the county fabricated this story, that's what I read. Then he punched one of the officers and was subdued and handcuffed.

Now, let's say he was Trayvon Martin, just 5 years older. Do you think he'd get the same break? "Oh, you just attacked a law enforcement officer and, since you only have a couple of domestic abuse complaints and a restraining order, you're probably not a violent person, so we'll just knock this down to a misdemeanor. After you've completed an anger management class, then we'll dismiss all charges." Yup, that would surely happen - in the Twilight Zone maybe!

question: "Now, let's say he was Trayvon Martin, just 5 years older. Do you think he'd get the same break?" What do you mean? Why wouldn't he? What would be different?

Old 04-14-2012, 08:14 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,421,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Zimmerman is hardly being "railroaded". He confessed to killing Trayvon and was free for over a month while the city of Sanford and the state of Florida dithered. He has legal representation and family support.
The evidence in the charging document is thin and doesn't address the fundamental crucial part of this case, the fight. Which leads me to believe they don't have anything to counter Zimmerman's self defense claim and are just pressing charges for the sake of it.

Even lawyers who adamantly believe some sort of crime was committed that night don't believe a 2nd degree murder charge will stick. This is a politically motivated arrest. If she had taken it to the grand jury and they dismissed the case she would have been vociferously criticized by Al Sharpton and the media for not charging him directly. So she arrests him and if a judge throws out the case she can say she tried but the judge didn't go for it. She maintains her tough on crime persona, she fulfills the demand of the Sharpton led mob of an arrest and life goes on.

Of course all of this is unethical if not illegal but hey you gotta prove it.

Old 04-14-2012, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinArmageddons View Post
If he told me with a straight face that he's been saving up his allowance and bought it for his girlfriend, for instance, that's a good answer.

If he told me that he found it, I'd ask where, and ask if he planned on trying to find out who it belonged to. And if no one claimed it for a few weeks, then it's his unless someone came up and claimed it later.

There's a multitude of satisfactory answers, and a multitude of body language cues that need to follow these answers. Anyone who is a parent would be able to find out if their child was lying about it easily. And if I found out that it was stolen, especially at the age of 16, the consequences that follows would be returning it to the owner and leaving it up to them to press charges the first time, and the second time, taking them to the police precinct myself (depending on the amount, of course.)
Are you talking about the jewelery supposedly gifted to the kid with the burglary tool that was on suspension for the third time?

Old 04-14-2012, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
The evidence in the charging document is thin and doesn't address the fundamental crucial part of this case, the fight. Which leads me to believe they don't have anything to counter Zimmerman's self defense claim and are just pressing charges for the sake of it.

Even lawyers who adamantly believe some sort of crime was committed that night don't believe a 2nd degree murder charge will stick. This is a politically motivated arrest. If she had taken it to the grand jury and they dismissed the case she would have been vociferously criticized by Al Sharpton and the media for not charging him directly. So she arrests him and if a judge throws out the case she can say she tried but the judge didn't go for it. She maintains her tough on crime persona, she fulfills the demand of the Sharpton led mob of an arrest and life goes on.

Of course all of this is unethical if not illegal but hey you gotta prove it.
The strange thing was they went to all the police officers and took all these statements from them which is almost never done.
Desperation? Politics? Something else?

Old 04-14-2012, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
All it takes is one juror with real common sense and George Zimmerman will never see a day in prison, let's hope commons sense prevails in this case.
It may not even have to come to that. A judge can throw out the case before a jury is even seated. That's a unique feature of Florida's Stand Your Ground Law. A judge will hear both sides to see if a self-defense claim is valid or not.

Old 04-14-2012, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
The strange thing was they went to all the police officers and took all these statements from them which is almost never done.
Desperation? Politics? Something else?
I haven't read that. Sounds like they are protecting themselves from a DOJ investigation into the police force.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies