Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do Stay at Home Moms Do Any Work and Are They Capable of Understanding Economic Issues?
Yes. They do the most important job of all raising children & managing a household and they are perfectly capable of understanding economic issues 163 87.63%
Nah. They just sit around eating bon bons all day and can't even keep track of how many kids they have. 23 12.37%
Voters: 186. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 12:53 PM

1,759 posts, read 2,028,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
This kind of choice isn't what abortion people are talking about when they say things about freedom of choice is it? I guess not since these moms made a choice to have their babies instead of aborting them.
Funny that you post that, because I believe it was in the comments of one of the news stories on this that I saw,
"It's perfectly okay to kill your babies, but don't sacrifice to stay home and raise them!!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2012, 12:54 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,728,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctrain View Post
"Hilary Rosen, a partner at SKDKnickerbocker, the PR firm of former Obama communications director Anita Dunn, charged that Ann Romney "hasn't worked a day in her life" and suggested that Ann Romney can't possibly understand economic issues because she's a lowly homemaker."

Democrats Declare 'War On Moms'

Did somebody say something about a War on Women??? I think the REAL War on Women has just been declared! What do you think? Does managing a household & raising five kids, while battling Cancer and M.S. warrant someone saying this woman "hasn't worked a day in her life" and implying that she isn't capable of understanding economic issues because she's "just" a homemaker?

If this is what the Democrats think of Stay at Home Moms; that they do no work, that they are less intelligent and less valuable than their working- outside- the- home counterparts, I think the battle line has been drawn and the Dems are in for defeat. Women will not stand for this type of insult and devaluation.
I suspect Dunn will be smothered by a tsunami of backlash over her stupid remarks and Obama will lose a lot of votes from stay at home moms who "never worked a day in their lives". I expect to see that slogan on t-shirts soon.

Old 04-12-2012, 12:56 PM

3,500 posts, read 3,132,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Then Rosen's comments should have been about how much money her family makes, not the fact that she's never worked a day in her life.
Did you miss the part where she said "She’s never really dealt with the kinds of economic issues that a majority of the women in this country are facing, in terms of how do we feed our kids, how do we send them to school, and why do we worry about their future.”
Rosen wasn't criticizing Ann Romney for staying at home, she was criticizing the Romney campaign for putting Ann Romney out there as some kind of expert on the economic concerns of everyday American women.
Do you really think that the wife of a multi-millionaire has the same concerns about making ends meet that your "everyday American" does?
Really?
Nothin' like fake outrage to get some people going though.

And golly gee, looky here, Rosen has already apologized for her poor choice of words.

(sad trombone sound)

Last edited by quigboto; 04-12-2012 at 01:18 PM..

Old 04-12-2012, 01:00 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,728,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quigboto View Post

And golly gee, looky here, Rosen has already apologized for her poor choice of words.

(sad trombone sound)
"Let’s declare peace in this phony war and go back to focus on the substance.â€

Hmmm..... "let's declare peace" ? She wants the millions of stay at home moms who she just slapped in the face to "declare peace"?

Good luck with that one.

Old 04-12-2012, 01:03 PM

Quote:

(sad trombone sound)
She's not sorry for what she said.
She's sorry it was such a poor choice of words that even Michelle Obama threw her under the bus on Twitter.
She's sorry she's getting so much backlash, especially from SAHMs/SAHDs who vote,
and especially from the military community where SAH is the norm.

That's why she's sorry. Apology not accepted. Next.

Edit: She wasn't very sorry when she sent this tweet last night,
Quote:
Bring it on!"@samsteinhp: i go away for 45 minutes and suddenly @hilaryr has become a campaign story despite not working for any campaign"

which is copied on her FB page

Old 04-12-2012, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctrain View Post
Already happened. Do search for Limbaugh/Fluke. Only difference, Limbaugh is a Shock Jock whereas Rosen is a DNC Strategist.
Rosen is not a DNC strategist, and she does not represent the Obama campaign.

Obama's people have condemned these remarks:

“I could not disagree with Hilary Rosen any more strongly,†Obama campaign manager Jim Messina said in a tweet. “Her comments were wrong and family should be off-limits. She should apologize.â€

Obama advisor David Axelrod followed suit: “Also disappointed in Hilary Rosen’s comments about Ann Romney. They were inappropriate and offensive.â€

Source

Even Michele Obama has spoken up in defense of Ann Romney.

This is just more faux indignation and mischaracterization of what was actually being said to fulfill your daily quota of fake outrage. Quite a stretch to try and pin it on Obama and the Dems too, especially when they are publicly calling her out on it.

Nice try though.

Old 04-12-2012, 01:14 PM

3,064 posts, read 2,637,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
... Obama will lose a lot of votes from stay at home moms who "never worked a day in their lives". I expect to see that slogan on t-shirts soon.
You betcha!

Old 04-12-2012, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
It is the point that Ms Rosen was making.

If you read her remarks, and not the remarks of people trying to make political controversy out of her comment, then you would understand that.

From her comment, there is no evidence that she is a militant lesbian feminist, nor that she despises stay-at-home moms.
Seriously, I can't rep you again (yet)
Why doesn't anybody ever read the source material anymore? I mean, we had a zillion threads about Sandra Fluke's sex life written by people who hadn't even bothered to read her original remarks, and now this brouhaha.
Jesus, people, if you're going to comment on something like this, find out what was actually said, and get some frickin' context!

Old 04-12-2012, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Rosen is not a DNC strategist
Maybe you or any other poster who has stated this can then explain why the mainstream news outlets
(which are, as we know, primarily on the left) keep describing her as such.

Old 04-12-2012, 01:20 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,720,029 times
What Rosen actually said:

What you have is Mitt Romney running around the country saying, “Well, my wife tells me what women really care about are economic issues.” And, “When I listen to my wife, that’s what I’m hearing.” Guess what? His wife has never actually worked a day in her life. She’s never really dealt with the economic issues that a majority of the women in this country are facing—in terms of how do we feed our kids, how do we send them to school, and how do—why we worry about their future."

So I totally get it. It isn't a SAHM vs working mom issue. Ann Romney has 5 house keepers, and likely hasn't done the WORK a majority of SAHMs do a "day in her life". The issue is a woman who has never had to make tough financial decisions (like the one of whether to sacrifice an income in order to stay home with her children) that most women in this country face is advising the next republican candidate on those tough economic issues. That makes ZERO sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies