Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 02:49 PM

5,960 posts, read 5,545,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don9 View Post
Demonizing the rich is one of the basic distraction tactics for Obama. He does not want people to look at his failing Presidency so he distracts their attention. Same goes for racial tensions they create. This divides and angers the black race which causes a diversion of attention from Obama's failed policies.
If you think they are angry now wait until the night of the Zimmerman acquittal.

Hoo boy!! I think people should hug their children extra tight when that night goes down...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2012, 03:00 PM

15,526 posts, read 10,495,101 times
Most of those people who have capital gains already paid full taxes on that investment money when they earned it. I'm not talking trust fund babies who never worked a day in their lives, I mean the regular people who made their money fair and square. I don't think they should have to pay huge amounts every year, it's already been taxed. What are we just going to tax everything to death, on second thought it is taxed again when that person dies.

Old 04-14-2012, 03:02 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,013,818 times
47% don't may federal income taxes at all.

Old 04-14-2012, 03:03 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,390,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
Most of those people who have capital gains already paid full taxes on that investment money when they earned it. I'm not talking trust fund babies who never worked a day in their lives, I mean the regular people who made their money fair and square. I don't think they should have to pay huge amounts every year, it's already been taxed. What are we just going to tax everything to death, on second thought it is taxed again when that person dies.
The investment money isn't being taxed. What is being taxed is the gain produced by that money. If I buy stock with money, and then sell stock for a gain. I will not be taxed on my base investment, only on the gains I realized at the sale.

Old 04-14-2012, 03:16 PM

7,923 posts, read 8,844,801 times
Could you imagine what the top earners here would say if they had tax rates here like after WW2.
At the end of WW2 the United States had a bottom income tax rate of 23 percent and an upper tax rate of 94 percent. Incomes over $500 were taxed at the bottom rate, while those earning over $1 million got hit with the massive 94 percent rate. Of course the wealthy had tax exemptiona and loopholes but they still paid a hefty chunk. Today the wealthy want low taxes AND exemptions and loopholes.
The huge tax rate after WW2 was to pay for the war..... well we need to pay for the longest war in America's history right now too.

Old 04-14-2012, 03:53 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,449,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
47% don't may federal income taxes at all.

A childless adult working full time at minimum wage pays $500/yr federal income tax. Does this mean I'm in the top 53%?

Old 04-14-2012, 03:55 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,194,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerby W-R View Post
No wonder the people with money and influence don't feel connected to the rest of the population. It's as if they live in a foreign country at the top of the world, like their own private Switzerland, at heights so rarified they can't imagine life down below. Here's the article.

The Rich Are Different From You and Me - They Pay Fewer Taxes

the rich pay less in percentage, but pay more in actual taxes paid.

Old 04-14-2012, 03:57 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,013,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
A childless adult working full time at minimum wage pays $500/yr federal income tax. Does this mean I'm in the top 53%?
I don't know. I do know that 47% do not pay any federal income tax, at least according to that noted liberal news organization CNN:

47% of households owe no tax - and their ranks are growing - Sep. 30, 2009

So when we say the rich don't pay taxes or as much in taxes, we need to put things in perspective. A very large percentage of our population doesn't pay any at all.

Old 04-14-2012, 04:46 PM

7,923 posts, read 8,844,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
the rich pay less in percentage, but pay more in actual taxes paid.
Considering what they earn, of course they pay more but they also have far more left after paying their low taxes.......
36% of a little leaves hardly anything whereas 36% of a million leaves wealth.

Old 04-14-2012, 04:47 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,415,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerby W-R View Post
No wonder the people with money and influence don't feel connected to the rest of the population. It's as if they live in a foreign country at the top of the world, like their own private Switzerland, at heights so rarified they can't imagine life down below. Here's the article.

The Rich Are Different From You and Me - They Pay Fewer Taxes

You should ask the three new lottery winners if they pay less taxes....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies