Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 12:45 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,274,487 times

Advertisements

Adbusters has said that there is a battle for the Soul of Occupy, the baby they gave birth to last fall. They refuse to allow Move.on, and other Obama supporters to co-opt the movement. I wonder just how serious this may get before the 99% Spring movement tries to take it over completely. The first groups worked with unions last fall but now they may want to hold back from Obama supporters taking over their movement.

Occupy Wall Street Fighting Over Barack Obama Support and | TheBlaze.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2012, 12:50 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,129,807 times
I'm glad to hear that they're not allowing their cause to be hijacked. Obama has had his chance to enact change and he has done little other than toe the party line. I believe both parties have failed us as a country. It's time for real change.

Old 04-16-2012, 12:50 PM

23 posts, read 11,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Adbusters has said that there is a battle for the Soul of Occupy, the baby they gave birth to last fall. They refuse to allow Move.on, and other Obama supporters to co-opt the movement. I wonder just how serious this may get before the 99% Spring movement tries to take it over completely. The first groups worked with unions last fall but now they may want to hold back from Obama supporters taking over their movement.

OWS was nothing but Union bosses rabell rousing.
They are not a grassroots movement and have now fizzled out of anyone's attention.

Old 04-16-2012, 01:01 PM

78,432 posts, read 60,613,724 times
There is ZERO question that OWS has already been subverted to some extent.

It's now different than the masses of fake anti-war protestors that quit right after the 2008 election.

OWS was doomed from the start though, since their method of protest allows them to be invaded by the hardcore homeless and druggies. (We are talking chronic homeless with criminal backgrounds and drug problems....not the unfortunate homeless.)

Once the summer hits and the campaigning starts up, expect to see lots and lots of fervent dems piling in for some feel good protests...the real OWS people will probably puke on them though for their hypocrisy.

Old 04-16-2012, 01:06 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,495,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
OWS people will probably puke on them though for their hypocrisy.
No, they're saving the puke for the Ron Paul supporters whom they've told, in several cities, to "Hit the road!"

Old 04-16-2012, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FannyDanny View Post
OWS was nothing but Union bosses rabell rousing.
They are not a grassroots movement and have now fizzled out of anyone's attention.
That's not true. That's not even remotely close to the truth.

1st of all, most of the protesters were young Americans. Young Americans have been hit the hardest in this depression and were also the group best educated about the current economic environment as a whole. Economist in colleges have been teaching for the past 10 years that this time has been coming. We're at a point in this country where our growth has slowed and will continue to slow as all nation's economies become globalized.

That means that we're not going to boom financially like we did in the past. Not in the same way that we did in the past. If we want to succeed as a nation in this era, we're going to have to improve our efficiency.

I know a couple of people involved in the protest. They did not protest because some "union boss" told them to do so.

Old 04-16-2012, 01:12 PM

1,332 posts, read 994,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post

the problem with the ocupiers is that moveon.org has been controlling all of it...like a puppet show...from the beginning. Why else are obama and peliosi telling them....we are right there with you ...We feel your pain...and 'God bless the occupiers' (that by pelosi which made me want to puke)

Wonder how long it will take them to realize who is making them dance? Gonna feel stupid when they realize they have beenplayed all along.

Old 04-16-2012, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
That's not true. That's not even remotely close to the truth.

1st of all, most of the protesters were young Americans. Young Americans have been hit the hardest in this depression and were also the group best educated about the current economic environment as a whole. Economist in colleges have been teaching for the past 10 years that this time has been coming. We're at a point in this country where our growth has slowed and will continue to slow as all nation's economies become globalized.

That means that we're not going to boom financially like we did in the past. Not in the same way that we did in the past. If we want to succeed as a nation in this era, we're going to have to improve our efficiency.

I know a couple of people involved in the protest. They did not protest because some "union boss" told them to do so.
I do not disagree with the 2 middle paragraphs. But OWS is not a populist movement. It does not resonate with enough of the populace to be effective.
If OWS had any intelligence it would start welcoming others besides union workers, unemployed art history majors and aging hippies.

I am young, white collar, college educated in business and have a mountain of student loans that are not getting paid down adequately by my salary. My wife is an RN.
At first watching OWS commence we thought maybe this is the true citizens revolt and the nation is going to change. Then we realized many of the OWSers are nothing but unemployed, entitled derelicts with mostly misdirected hostilites we have little incommon with.

Let me state- we believe the tea party is no better for different reasons.

Old 04-16-2012, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall_Rep View Post
the problem with the ocupiers is that moveon.org has been controlling all of it...like a puppet show...from the beginning. Why else are obama and peliosi telling them....we are right there with you ...We feel your pain...and 'God bless the occupiers' (that by pelosi which made me want to puke)

Wonder how long it will take them to realize who is making them dance? Gonna feel stupid when they realize they have beenplayed all along.
The establishment squashes dissent by controlling them with money.
Then the dissentors become everything they stand against.

Same happened with the tea party and the Koch brothers and RNC.

Old 04-16-2012, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FannyDanny View Post
I do not disagree with the 2 middle paragraphs. But OWS is not a populist movement. It does not resonate with enough of the populace to be effective.
If OWS had any intelligence it would start welcoming others besides union workers, unemployed art history majors and aging hippies.

I am young, white collar, college educated in business and have a mountain of student loans that are not getting paid down adequately by my salary. My wife is an RN.
At first watching OWS commence we thought maybe this is the true citizens revolt and the nation is going to change. Then we realized many of the OWSers are nothing but unemployed, entitled derelicts with mostly misdirected hostilites we have little incommon with.

Let me state- we believe the tea party is no better for different reasons.
I understand where your coming from, but I believe your letting the media perception of the movement jade your perception. Every movement is going to have "undesireables" the media can highlight and use to discredit an organization. If your image, or perception of the Occupy Movement is coming from the media, then the people are bound to lose. The Occupy Movement is against the media powers that be.

Is it the general message of the group that you disagree with or the image of the group?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies