Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2012, 04:11 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,791,415 times

Advertisements

The MSRP (Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price) for the basic Ford Focus (gasoline) is $16,500.

MSRP for the Ford Focus Electric is $39,200.

Number of new Ford Focus Electric cars sold in February and March 2012: ZERO.

The "Electric Car" is definitely an idea whose time has come.

(not!)

-----------------------------------------------

Battery-powered autos proving to be a tough sell | The Detroit News | detroitnews.com (http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20120417/AUTO01/204170368/Battery-powered-autos-proving-tough-sell?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE - broken link)

April 17, 2012 at 1:00 am
Battery-powered autos proving to be a tough sell

By David Shepardson
Detroit News Washington Bureau

Washington— Electric vehicle sales have been slow out of the box, despite marketing hype, government incentives and the hopes of green car advocates.

(snip)

Ford Motor Co. sold about 12 Focus Electrics in December and January to fleet customers — and none in February and March, said Erich Merkle, a Ford spokesman.

Analysts forecast modest gains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2012, 04:18 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,287,940 times
Obama is making his General Motors electric cars do a bit better by requiring various parts of government to buy them.
Seems to be preferential treatment against Ford IMO.

Also, plug in a few of these cars and we will need brown outs to continue, and electricity comes mostly from oil and gas in our country, so where is the green angle really in all this.

Old 04-17-2012, 04:24 PM

3,709 posts, read 4,630,998 times
Wow, this electric car revolution is overwhelming!

Old 04-17-2012, 04:31 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,791,415 times
How small is the electric car market today?

Consider that the Ford Focus Electric, got outsold by the CHEVY VOLT.... a car that isn't even being made today!

Old 04-17-2012, 09:09 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,958,168 times
Now see, these electric cars would have sold better if people only understood that government sets the markets, not the desires of the people. Doesn't everyone have $40K to plop down on a trendy EV? I mean hey, what is more important, paying your mortgage with your extended UE benefits or being "green"?

Old 04-17-2012, 09:37 PM

1,692 posts, read 1,961,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Now see, these electric cars would have sold better if people only understood that government sets the markets, not the desires of the people. Doesn't everyone have $40K to plop down on a trendy EV? I mean hey, what is more important, paying your mortgage with your extended UE benefits or being "green"?

I'm not sure why people feel the need to attack electric cars, as if they are personally threatening. Newsflash - people spend ungoldly amounts of money on cars ALL. THE. TIME. So what if it costs 40K? People spend just as much, or more, on BMWs.

Love my Prius! Currently at 51 mpg.

Old 04-17-2012, 09:46 PM

25,850 posts, read 16,547,069 times
Norway pretty much used all electric cars and they have more oil than anyone. There are smart people in the world who realize that the future is electric. In the US, for most people elec cars are just not practical yet but the time is coming. The Nissan Leaf is a really nice car and it's 100% electric. Ford and GM have some catching up to do to Nissan and Toyota.

Old 04-18-2012, 12:39 AM

3,045 posts, read 3,195,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post

I'm guessing if you can't afford a car that costs that much, then you really wouldn't bother posting. The last time I checked, nobody was making anyone buy an electric vehicle.

I don't get why all of you get your panties in a bunch about this. Would you prefer that this all be left to foreign automakers? I guess you'd rather have engineers employed in Tokyo than Michigan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies