Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2012, 09:55 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheNameOfGod View Post
How about your get off your lazy ass and make more money than Buffet or Romney? If you not sit back down and shut up. Jealousy pure jealousy. Without people like them you would not have a job.

Burger flippers get off their asses every day and have practically nothing toi show for it. Millions of Americans work hard and have practically nothing to show for it.

I flipped burgers one summer and it was not what I would call easy. We got slammed at lunch every weekday by hundreds of office workers from across the street.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2012, 09:56 PM

933 posts, read 1,533,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheNameOfGod View Post
How about your get off your lazy ass and make more money than Buffet or Romney? If you not sit back down and shut up. Jealousy pure jealousy. Without people like them you would not have a job.
I like how you bashed him instead of attempting to answer his question.

Old 04-25-2012, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Apparently, you do not "approve" of someone taking all of the deductions available to them to reduce their tax burden. Perhaps, since you do not have any of these deductions you are jealous.

20yrsinBranson

I've never had a tax break in my life. Perhaps I'm jealous, but I think I just want to keep more of what I earn instead of having it redistributed upward to people with tax breaks.

Stop the tax gimmicks, lower tax rates for all.

Old 04-25-2012, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatles4evr View Post
It feels great to be beaded in that direction - not there yet - but moving in that direction. Currently bringing in about $2K a day x 365. That's gross, but it isn't bad. Plus a 6-figure salary on top, and about $100K extra (gross) for Christmas. Work mostly at night, but do so 7 days a week.

I agree that starting off wit Obama in US Senate, Nancy P and Harry R in charge of House and Senate, and then with Obama in WH, it is getting harderr, but is already changing for the better. Pelosi is but an observer, and Reid/Obama will be "relieved" in January after the November landslides hit.

What do you do that generates so much cash? Is it something that requires a license or a college degree or a lot of startup capital??

Old 04-25-2012, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatles4evr View Post
Boooooo Hooooooo, Boooooo Hooooooooo - poor pauper can't buy in Caviar country with his boiled-potatoes ambition. If the county wanted to subdivide into postage-stamp lots, they would have done so. They still get the same property tax, except from two landowners, the regular one and Mr. Pauper.

Itemize for me the last 10 things you have done to improve your market value as an employee.

WTF can a convenience store cashier do to improve their market value as an employee? I upsell the heck out of what we offer and that improves my employer's bottom line. Without money I can't get training or education to become valuable in some other field.

But there are no benchmarks or performance evaluations here, and I cannot say that I sell N percent more than someone else because none of the employees has any numbers.

Old 04-26-2012, 05:54 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
WTF can a convenience store cashier do to improve their market value as an employee? .

Find a job where you can increase your value by learning the business.

I started years ago as an extremely low paid clerk in an insurance company with no college degree, but learned all about insurance and eventually got promoted many times. Ended up as a Sr VP.

You need to find a company with a promotion path. Convenience stores do not have that.

You can also learn new skills by reading. Teach yourself a programming language, for example.

Old 04-26-2012, 07:18 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,749,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post

I started years ago as an extremely low paid clerk in an insurance company with no college degree, but learned all about insurance and eventually got promoted many times. Ended up as a Sr VP.

You need to find a company with a promotion path. Convenience stores do not have that.

You can also learn new skills by reading. Teach yourself a programming language, for example.
That's the problem. I find it a bit of an insult to say people doing simple jobs don't deserve a decent income. When someone works the whole day keeping a convenience store running, they are doing something important and deserve a decent income. Why would everyone strive to ultimately become some sort of manager or leader or supervisor?! People doing the actual work are more important. By making it hard for them to make ends meet despite working full-time, you hurt their pride in their good work and demotivate them.

Old 04-26-2012, 07:22 AM

8,630 posts, read 9,139,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
It's because you're confused about what the word "earn" means.

Their overall rates are lower because they make most of their money from investments, not wages.

You WANT wealthy people investing their money. That job you "aren't fundamentally complaining" about would likely disappear without those evil rich people pumping their cash into the economy.
Lesson learned: Don't work for a living, invest for a living. Americans don't like that? Outsource jobs to communist countries, open borders for cheap labor.

Old 04-26-2012, 07:34 AM

15,092 posts, read 8,636,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
This year, we hit the 33% marginal tax bracket - alternative minimum tax and all of that. We don't own a home or have kids, so we don't really get to deduct anything.

I'm grateful for our income, and I'm not fundamentally complaining about having to work hard for it and pay my fair share. I know that we're very fortunate.

But why is it fair for my personal share to be up to TWICE the rate of the fair share of people with gargantuan incomes like Romney and Buffett who will never have real financial worries again in their lives? We're doing well, but unlike those guys, we do depend heavily on our cash flow to generate our critical savings for future needs as well as to cover our day-to-day expenses. We get hurt by the loss of that marginal dollar A LOT more than the multi-millionaires and billionaires ever would be.

And why is it "class warfare" whenever I point this out? How is it not "class warfare" for me to be reamed porportionally so much more than the super rich - many of whose enterprises I also have to pay to bail out of their bad business decisions?

I'm not saying that the Buffett rule is the way to go, but why can't we have a tax system that institutes some sense of consistent fairness relative to income all the way across the income spectrum? Why is this concept so fundamentally controversial and anti-American for conservatives?
Yes ... it was explained long ago ...

Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble Taxman - YouTube

Let me tell you how it will be
There's one for you, nineteen for me
'Cause I'm the taxman, yeah, I'm the taxman

Should five per cent appear too small
Be thankful I don't take it all
'Cause I'm the taxman, yeah I'm the taxman

If you drive a car, I'll tax the street,
If you try to sit, I'll tax your seat.
If you get too cold I'll tax the heat,
If you take a walk, I'll tax your feet.

Don't ask me what I want it for
If you don't want to pay some more

Now my advice for those who die
Declare the pennies on your eyes
And you're working for nobody else but me

And I mean overtime
Sundays
Holidays

Old 04-26-2012, 07:35 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,951,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003

This is the old myth that riches come from hard work and providing value to society. It's quite astounding that this myth is still held by many after it's been shown that the people who have done the best are the same ones that nearly destroyed the world economy, as opposed to providing value to the economy.

Even working at a job where one is the best and provides value isn't going to put one in the category of the highest earners.

According to research by Heim et al (pdf) the top 0.1 percent of earners is concentrated in the corporate suits, with a few token sports and film stars thrown in. The belief that the richest among us are entrepreneurs and inventors is a fallacy and that one can start out in the mailroom and make it to CEO and not a diverse group at all.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies