Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2012, 07:50 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,222,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
This is the old myth that riches come from hard work and providing value to society. It's quite astounding that this myth is still held by many after it's been shown that the people who have done the best are the same ones that nearly destroyed the world economy, as opposed to providing value to the economy.

Even working at a job where one is the best and provides value isn't going to put one in the category of the highest earners.

According to research by Heim et al (pdf) the top 0.1 percent of earners is concentrated in the corporate suits, with a few token sports and film stars thrown in. The belief that the richest among us are entrepreneurs and inventors is a fallacy and that one can start out in the mailroom and make it to CEO and not a diverse group at all.
riches do not come from being lazy and doing nothing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2012, 09:28 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,948,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
riches do not come from being lazy and doing nothing
Oh? Paris Hilton is very hard working I presume.

Equally so, I know a few sons of the elite who upon graduating college were installed in high-level corporate positions where they have staff that do everything and nevertheless receive high compensation.

Old 04-26-2012, 09:35 AM

Quote:

Equally so, I know a few sons of the elite who upon graduating college were installed in high-level corporate positions where they have staff that do everything and nevertheless receive high compensation.
I never saw the film that made her or buy lines of woman clothes I feel confident there was some work involved

Old 04-26-2012, 09:36 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,221,236 times
Can someone tell me how its fair that I am taxed more % wise than people making less than me and they enjoy many more benefits?
The answer is simple, because life isn't fair.
Some of us pay hundreds of thousands in taxes. maybe 15% of the gross.
I pay more of a % but earn less and pay much less in actual dollars.
The most fair system would be a flat tax or consumption tax there by forcing everyone to pay their share.
I like many have no issue supporting the genuinly disabled. Autistic adults etc.
I do have an issue supporting idiots who cant seem to figure out that having unprotected sex will result in unplanned pregnancies.
If it happens once well we all can get caught. But over and over again? We might need to eliminate them from the gene pool.

Old 04-26-2012, 09:39 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,948,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
I never saw the film that made her or buy lines of woman clothes I feel confident there was some work involved
Her wealth comes from being an heiress to the Hilton Hotel fortune, not because she is so hard working.

Old 04-26-2012, 09:42 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,788,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
I find it backwards that someone pushing $ around should get taxed less than someone who does real work. Both contribute to the economy, 1 actually produces real goods.

The incentive to invest should be sitting on your ass making money and getting taxed at the same rate.
In other words, unless a person does some type of physical labor (someone dictates (you?) what that actually is,) then they should be taxed higher? So, you propose that investors, who do nothing for their money, should be taxed higher? I mean seriously, do any of the 99%ers have a clue about risk? Do you know what risk capital is? Aren't you proposing to do to investors, who manage to turn a profit, exactly what you are complaining about for yourself?

Shouldn't your taxes be lower, rather than theirs higher?

The only winner, by your reasoning, is the government. The economy would suck; we'd be thrown into a massive depression, and the government would grow larger. Do you love a big oppressive government?

Last edited by steven_h; 04-26-2012 at 10:11 AM..

Old 04-26-2012, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Her wealth comes from being an heiress to the Hilton Hotel fortune, not because she is so hard working.
does not mean she has not worked hard at whatever it is she does.

Old 04-26-2012, 09:52 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,565,372 times
Quote:

Not sure about Paris Hilton but I have seen a documentary on Brittney Spears. Her daily life is consisted of daily hours of supervised exercise, endless rehearsal, running from one city to another.

Living fabulous but do nothing doesn't happen often. We see all the glory but we fail to see all the sweat that makes the glory.

I am by no means "hardworking" compared to the guy who mows my lawn. I am not laboring to be exactly. I make probably at least 5 times of what he does but hey if he can come and figure out what this stupid spreadsheet of data is about, he can make that much too. Oh, I pay taxes but he doesn't.

Old 04-26-2012, 09:58 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,788,539 times
Quote:
This is the old myth that riches come from hard work and providing value to society. It's quite astounding that this myth is still held by many after it's been shown that the people who have done the best are the same ones that nearly destroyed the world economy, as opposed to providing value to the economy.
You went way off topic to rant about inequality of wealth. Investors do (thier risk capital does) add to the economy. This is a fact, not a myth. Venture capital is at the heart of every great company. I can name a dozen off the top of my head that started with it. Investors risk capital to add jobs and growth to the economy.

How does a physical job do more? Take it from me, thrty years on my knees as a contractor and now when I have a chance to take it easy and invest... some twenty something wants me to give away, what I and my family worked so hard for, to the government. What a joke.

Old 04-26-2012, 10:03 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,565,372 times
Quote:

Even working at a job where one is the best and provides value isn't going to put one in the category of the highest earners.

According to research by Heim et al (pdf) the top 0.1 percent of earners is concentrated in the corporate suits, with a few token sports and film stars thrown in. The belief that the richest among us are entrepreneurs and inventors is a fallacy and that one can start out in the mailroom and make it to CEO and not a diverse group at all.
Are you suggesting being a corporate executive is not hardworking? I am not sure if you have been in a position to make decisions that may affect hundreds or even thousands of people. If your decision is wrong, not only your job and your high salary is out of the window, but also thousands of other people's job.

Talking about stress!

Also, have you been in a position managing people? A small team of 5 can be hard enough to manage. Try a team of hundred thousand. Your team needs to meet company goals, make money for the company. If anybody in your team screws up, you are the first one to go.

Try that and come back and tell me those executives don't deserve the salary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies