Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2012, 04:30 PM

8,560 posts, read 6,407,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Anyone with any snap can hide their biases when asked questions. Not wanting to be on a jury I would probably be sure mine were discovered. Of course, I have found that dressing overly casually will almost certainly get you kicked off in Harris County. Been to several jury selections and notice individuals in jeans seldom end up on the jury.
And that would not necessarily apply in a place like, say, Dade County Florida. Attorneys don't particularly want people on the jury who do not want to be there, so, it's not especially hard to get "not selected" to serve. Don't know about your state, but in this state jurors in criminal cases also answer written questions prior to jury duty which the attorneys have access to prior to jury selection. Seems to me that many people in the public have the opinion that attorneys are really dumb and that it is easy to "fool" them, which I think is really odd, especially when you think you can deceive someone in their own work place where they work daily. I once saw a witness with a background in bookkeeping (not a degree) continue to behave in a very patronizing manner toward an attorney who was asking questions about specific and complicated financial matters. The attorney continued to disregard the witness' behavior until finally toward the end of the questioning he nailed the witness. Little did that witness know that that particular attorney was also a licensed CPA and a former Bankruptcy Trustee.

Old 06-24-2012, 04:32 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,671,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Oklahoma must have a lot of trials. I've lived in Florida since 1994 and I've received 5 summons. In fact, I just got one asking me to appear in Sarasota on July 16. Two times I was told by a recording that I didn't need to appear. Every jury summons has instructions to call after 5 on the evening before to check for changes. Twice I sat in the Fort Myers Court House for about 4 hours until I was dismissed. The last one I got (which was only last week) is for July and I'll let you know what happens. In other words, being called for jury duty means very little. In Florida it means you have a driver's license.
Really? You obviously don't live in Florida! People show up at weddings in flip-flops! Heck, that's often fancier than the bride who is barefoot!

The summons does say, however, that I cannot wear shorts or flip-flops. So this must be a formal jury. LOL Seriously, I worked in retail for many years in SWFL and people stroll in wearing bathing suits.
What does Oklahoma have to do with anything being discussed here?

If you're referring to me stating that I have been on jury duty (not just called but selected), Oklahoma has nothing to do with it.

Old 06-24-2012, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Would you like to be locked up on frivolous charges and held in jail until a jury finds you innocent?

The fact is the Martin family did not believe the system was working before the media got involved.

I do not believe there should be political prisoners in America.
First of all, the charges are not frivolous. That's just your opinion. Another unequivocal statement which is just your opinion.

Second, not everybody who is charged with a crime is deemed suitable for bail; in this case, Zimmerman was out on bail until it was discovered that he and his wife lied to the court. Lying to the court under oath makes one appear not trustworthy, and perhaps a "flight risk"....he created that incarceration problem for himself.

Old 06-24-2012, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
What does Oklahoma have to do with anything being discussed here?

If you're referring to me stating that I have been on jury duty (not just called but selected), Oklahoma has nothing to do with it.
I believe you indicated you were very familiar with how juries are selected because you had served as a juror six times. Do you live in a very small town, or do you have an enormous amount of crime and/or civil litigation where you live which would result in you being called and selected for jury service six times. That is not the norm for Florida.

So, leave Oklahoma out of it. Six times is a high number of times for one person to serve on a jury in Florida. Of course, you didn't mention over what period of time your jury service covered.

Old 06-24-2012, 04:52 PM

11,186 posts, read 6,507,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
No, but I wouldn't have lied to a judge about my assets.

It wasn't just the Martin family who wanted an arrest, but I guess every time I quote people like Jeb Bush who said he was surprised Zimmerman was not arrested after the shooting, it goes right over your head or you choose to ignore me.

If I walk into a store and kill everyone, so nobody sees me, can I then tell the cops my life was in danger? Of course not. Zimmerman didn't have any witnesses, so you are saying it means he should go free. There are numerous crimes without any eyewitnesses. Usually the suspected killer isn't set free based on shaky statements to the police.

The only reason Zimmerman is sitting in jail is because he committed perjury.
You and Bush remind me of a dog [a compliment] with a bone. Won't let go.

Repeating the law and cases won't help, but as an fyi, here's an article ---

"The men responsible for Florida's controversial "stand your ground'' law are certain about one thing: Because of his actions before he pulled the trigger and killed 17-year-old Trayvon Martin, George Zimmerman is not protected from criminal prosecution.

But they are wrong."

'Stand your ground' law protects those who go far beyond that point - Tampa Bay Times

The author could be wrong, but imo there are good examples of actual cases showing the bill's authors and Bush didn't truly grasp how the law would be implemented, despite what they claim their intentions were.

Old 06-24-2012, 05:50 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,889,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
'Stand your ground' law protects those who go far beyond that point - Tampa Bay Times

The author could be wrong, but imo there are good examples of actual cases showing the bill's authors and Bush didn't truly grasp how the law would be implemented, despite what they claim their intentions were.
From that link:

Quote:
"Mr. Zimmerman's unnecessary pursuit and confrontation of Trayvon Martin elevated the prospect of a violent episode and does not seem to be an act of self-defense as defined by the castle doctrine" wrote state Rep. Dennis Baxley, the Ocala Republican who co-authored the law, in a column March 21 for FOXNews.com. "There is no protection in the 'stand your ground' law for anyone who pursues and confronts people."
Lawyers say the bill's supporters are either uninformed or politically motivated.

"That's not what the law says," said Steven Romine, a Tampa Bay lawyer who has invoked "stand your ground" successfully. "They might think that in their own heads, but it's just not true.
"If you're doing something legal, no matter what the act is, and you're attacked, it's in that moment that you have a right to stand your ground."

Prosecutors, who are generally critical of the law, agree.

"The real issue is what happens around the 60 seconds prior to the shooting," said Ed Griffith, a spokesman for the Miami-Dade State Attorney's Office, which brought the charges against Greyston Garcia. "Everything else has emotional content, but from a legal perspective, it all comes down to the 60 seconds before the incident."
There is no case against Z-man.

Old 06-24-2012, 07:07 PM

812 posts, read 595,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
Have you ever thought about how much POWER we would be giving to "professional jurors"? Of course you haven't. Do you have any clue how jury selection works? Have you ever been a defendant in a court case and had to actually observe jury selection?

I am often shocked at the ignorance about how our court system really works which some demonstrate.
I have been a jury foreman and stared down a moronic prosecutor that wanted to send a meth lab perpetrator that was guilty as sin to jail for 30 and was pissed at me the jury foreman for leading the cause to give him half that time. Yea I know a little something about it and I've read you pop your know it all mouth off about it too many times and you are part of the sanctimonious problem I'm writing about. Double smack

Old 06-24-2012, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by valerie d View Post
I have been a jury foreman and stared down a moronic prosecutor that wanted to send a meth lab perpetrator that was guilty as sin to jail for 30 and was pissed at me the jury foreman for leading the cause to give him half that time. Yea I know a little something about it and I've read you pop your know it all mouth off about it too many times and you are part of the sanctimonious problem I'm writing about. Double smack
That's interesting. In what part of the country does the jury have ANYTHING to do with the sentence in a criminal case? No part of THIS country. The jury is the finder of fact; the jury HAS NOTHING WHATSOEVER TO DO WITH SENTENCING. The jury is instructed not not consider the sentence, so you certainly did not "stare down a prosecutor" because you were fighting for half of a 30 year sentence and he knew it. What an amazing fantasy! He would have had you thrown off that jury in a heartbeat. You're so busted. That's just not the way the system works and you have clearly demonstrated your lack of knowledge of the basics.

Last edited by FancyFeast5000; 06-24-2012 at 07:58 PM..

Old 06-24-2012, 07:49 PM

Quote:
From that link:

There is no case against Z-man.
In Your Opinion of course.

Old 06-24-2012, 08:49 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,671,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valerie d View Post
Yes!

You go, girl!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies