Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2012, 11:11 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,455,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
Got a link to that statement by Holder?
I was being facetious, but we all know what Holder meant by saying that if he finds any evidence of a criminal civil rights violation he will act. Why do you think HE launched an independent investigation? If he wants to see something, he will see it even if it happened or not.

Old 07-03-2012, 11:18 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,649,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
I was being facetious, but we all know what Holder meant by saying that if he finds any evidence of a criminal civil rights violation he will act. Why do you think HE launched an independent investigation? If he wants to see something, he will see it even if it happened or not.
So, wait, Holder didn't use the terminology 'his people'?

That's not being facetious, that's lying.

Old 07-03-2012, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
So, wait, Holder didn't use the terminology 'his people'?

That's not being facetious, that's lying.
Oh please, you can't be that uninformed are you? YES HE DID use that phrase on another issue. I was talking about him finding something to prosecute GZ on, which he is going to try as hard as he can, even if he has to imagine something happened.

Old 07-03-2012, 11:33 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,649,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Oh please, you can't be that uninformed are you? YES HE DID use that phrase on another issue. I was talking about him finding something to prosecute GZ on, which he is going to try as hard as he can, even if he has to imagine something happened.
Oh, ON ANOTHER ISSUE!!!!!!

Got it.

So, now it's OK to quote what someone said on ANOTHER ISSUE and make it a response to yet ANOTHER ISSUE!

Wow.

So now people know not only what happened between zimmerman and martin and zimmerman's state of mind, they also know what the attorney general is imagining!

It gets stranger and stranger...

Old 07-03-2012, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Oh, ON ANOTHER ISSUE!!!!!!

Got it.

So, now it's OK to quote what someone said on ANOTHER ISSUE and make it a response to yet ANOTHER ISSUE!

Wow.

So now people know not only what happened between zimmerman and martin and zimmerman's state of mind, they also know what the attorney general is imagining!

It gets stranger and stranger...
That's right. If Holder believes blacks are "his people" on one single issue, that means he believes that in his soul. A very racist angle to take.

Old 07-03-2012, 12:06 PM

798 posts, read 1,034,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by needTXinfo View Post
A good judge would preclude the gf's testimony as being unduly prejudicial to the defendant while having minimum probative value.

There's literally no evidence that Zimmerman "profiled" Martin in this case. It would set a bad precedent to turn every criminal trial into a referendum on a person's beliefs. Doing so in this case merely strengthens the perception that this is a political prosecution to appease racial strife and not a legitimate criminal process.

Unless the state has evidence Zimmerman previously said he planned to harm or kill minorities, or if they have direct evidence he targeted Martin because he is black, this evidence is so minimally probative and so prejudicial it should be excluded.

Also a good judge would take note of the fact that Zimmerman is himself part black and was raised by a black woman. It's ludicrous to think a black/Hispanic mixed race person is a virulent racist.
Most conservatives love to point out the fact that anyone can be racist, not only white people. Then they bring up stories about some racist incident with a minority. I am black, and I know racist black people. This thing does not go both ways.

Old 07-03-2012, 12:21 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,221,586 times
Listen to the 911 tapes. He certainly did say things about blacks. He also said "They always get away" Just before the operator asks if George is following....then tells him to stop following. The operator recognized the inflection in his voice, That's exactly why this operator, trained as they are to gage the seriousness of any situation recognized this "craziness" (my word)in George's voice....George was on a mission imo....this Shows his mind frame .....This one wasn't getting away...looks like George was very determined.

Old 07-03-2012, 01:27 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,938,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Listen to the 911 tapes. He certainly did say things about blacks. He also said "They always get away" Just before the operator asks if George is following....then tells him to stop following. The operator recognized the inflection in his voice, That's exactly why this operator, trained as they are to gage the seriousness of any situation recognized this "craziness" (my word)in George's voice....George was on a mission imo....this Shows his mind frame .....This one wasn't getting away...looks like George was very determined.
I'm really not sure this was about race, only "getting the bad guy" but I don't really know, Jan. However, I do agree that the 911 dispatcher changed his tone of voice when he realized George got out of the car and was running after Trayvon. He sounds puzzled because George is following a man he just described as a dangerous criminal.

One thing that's apparent is that race plays a big part in the way people are reacting to this case. The victim wasn't doing a darn thing, yet people keep finding new ways of degrading his character. That's when race begins to play a big role IMHO. Posts that call Trayvon a thug or even go as far as to assume he would probably be in a gang some day or commit a crime (so George did society a favor) are obviously racist. Bottom line - he was unarmed and, according to the police reports, he wasn't doing anything wrong. On Saturday night I was invited to join some people for a barbecue. At one point they began talking about Medicaid and Food Stamps and someone told a joke. "What was the only good thing that came out of Obama's Million Man March? Only 2 people missed work." I said, "That event took place in 1995, so why are you mentioning Obama?" He said, "Oh, you're just a liberal who likes Obama." My point is, when it comes to racism, facts have little meaning.

Old 07-03-2012, 02:41 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
I'm really not sure this was about race, only "getting the bad guy" but I don't really know, Jan. However, I do agree that the 911 dispatcher changed his tone of voice when he realized George got out of the car and was running after Trayvon. He sounds puzzled because George is following a man he just described as a dangerous criminal.

One thing that's apparent is that race plays a big part in the way people are reacting to this case. The victim wasn't doing a darn thing, yet people keep finding new ways of degrading his character. That's when race begins to play a big role IMHO. Posts that call Trayvon a thug or even go as far as to assume he would probably be in a gang some day or commit a crime (so George did society a favor) are obviously racist. Bottom line - he was unarmed and, according to the police reports, he wasn't doing anything wrong. On Saturday night I was invited to join some people for a barbecue. At one point they began talking about Medicaid and Food Stamps and someone told a joke. "What was the only good thing that came out of Obama's Million Man March? Only 2 people missed work." I said, "That event took place in 1995, so why are you mentioning Obama?" He said, "Oh, you're just a liberal who likes Obama." My point is, when it comes to racism, facts have little meaning.
Can't rep you, so I just say, you are spot on... except.

I to do not believe that "race" played a conscious role in Zimmerman's actions but psychological study after studies has clearly demonstrated that race plays a significant role in the folks cognition whether they wise to acknowledge it or not or even if they are even conscious of it. But having said that, when it comes to too many of the comments on this thread, I think that it is readily apparent that too many posters are fully conscious of their racial predilections.

Old 07-03-2012, 02:51 PM

190 posts, read 302,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Maybe in the real world. But in this case, Zimmerman was waiting for a particular situation. Heaven only knows for how long. And the day everything fell into place, Martin just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. No matter how many niceties, technicalities, or formalities were observed, Zimmerman wasn't going to feel "like a man" until he had the opportunity to kill someone. So he did. He just didn't think he might not get away with it.

He'll be staring at some real punishment if he winds up being found not guilty. He better have plans to hide out in northern Greenland for the next 30 or 40 years, or we're going to be reading headlines about his death.
Wow. You got a crystal ball or something lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies