Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 01:28 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,127,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
Why would you want the government involved in punishing people for defaulting on private debts? That seems pretty against your political views, aside from your general callousness toward the less fortunate of course.
I don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2012, 01:28 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,520,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
No we didn't. We extended loans, with interest and fees.
Giant loans, at subprime rates, that were wholly undeserved. Shouldn't banks exercise personal responsibility as well, or is it OK because they're not poor people?

Old 04-20-2012, 01:32 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,127,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
Giant loans, at subprime rates, that were wholly undeserved. Shouldn't banks exercise personal responsibility as well, or is it OK because they're not poor people?
Undeserved, but necessary. Bush (and later Obama) had the option of being Hoover or Roosevelt. Which one would you have chosen to be given the circumstances?

Old 04-20-2012, 02:20 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,129,807 times
Quote:
No we didn't. We extended loans, with interest and fees.
Ha ha...that's funny.

Old 04-20-2012, 02:21 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
What BS. Just claim damn bankruptcy!
BK doesnt discharge criminal debt, only civil

Old 04-20-2012, 02:24 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,129,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
If you had read the story - you would know that it highlights a woman who was put into jail in Illinois.

And Illinois is controlled by which party?

"Six states (Arkansas, Arizona, Illinois, Indiana, Minnesota, and Washington) allow debt collectors to seek arrest warrants for debtors in default if all other collection methods have failed".
Debtors' prison - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Three of those states have Democrat majorities in their Legislatures and also have governors with (D) following their name : Arkansas, Illinois, and Washington.

This is not a partisan issue.
Illinois is one of the most corrupt states in the union. Look at our leadership. I recently had a law firm acting as a collections agent for the state on a bogus tax claim. They claimed I owed back taxes on an amount that wouldn't even come close to what I owed due to my income. I lived in the state half a year and made $6,000. It was the year I graduated college.

We as a people need to stand up to our governments and demand that changes be made. You shouldn't have corruption at the top. I see much better people walking around my city every day, than the people I see supposedly "representing" us.

Old 04-20-2012, 02:24 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
I've participated in several forums where financial topics are the most prevalent......many people have stated their desire to willingly serve time in a debtor's prison if they could have their debts erased. That's pretty much a cry of desperation. I'm not sure I support a debtor prison in theory, but banks and other entities do have a legal duty to recoup their losses when it was they who engaged in risk by extending the financial assistance to the loan recipient. Being broke is not a reason to forgive debt. However, I don't think obscene fees are the answer either.
I know someone who willingly spent 10 days in jail instead of paying $36K in criminal fines. Sounds like a deal to me.

Old 04-20-2012, 02:32 PM

1,211 posts, read 1,534,546 times
The banks took a risk when they made the loan. They knew what they were getting into. If they dont get the money back, its their loss and responsibility. Next time, be more careful when you hand out loans.

Debtor prisons are unconstitutional and treasonous.

Old 04-20-2012, 02:34 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Credit = Risk

If you want credit, be prepared to pay for your level of risk.
Excellent point: I am not going to be the type that ways no one should get credit, there are reasons for seeking credit and there will always be some who get themselves in over their head. For some this is going to cost them an arm and leg, so what it wrong wtih that? If you use someone's money, they have a right to expect a return. yes, as you are saying, you will pay according to what kind of a risk you are. If you can't handle the amount you are going to be charged, including going to prison or whateve, don't borrow.

Old 04-20-2012, 02:49 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,991,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J746NEW View Post
As long as it is ok for the Banksters to infiltrate our government, for example, hundreds from Goldman Sachs alone, I support anyone that would bring to ruin these parasites.

I worked for a large (now defunct) bank for 7 1/2 years. Never again! Once they started with even MORE big brother BS, monitoring absolutely everything, I saw the writing on the wall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies