Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 04:43 PM

10,029 posts, read 8,347,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecking ball View Post
this is the second thread in a day from comments that started more than a year ago.

Matt Damon: Not a fan of Obama - CNN.com
Celebrity Matt Damon Retracts Support Of Obama
APRIL 20, 2012
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2012, 04:43 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,274,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
As usual when someone goes against the Annointed one, he must strike back! Notice that.
I certainly saw that, too. Childish as all hell. That kind of behavior will win no votes so maybe he better declare martial law and call off the election.

Old 04-22-2012, 04:44 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times
Ha. Yeah, that makes sense. What's he going to do? Vote for Romney?

Old 04-22-2012, 04:47 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,274,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Who cares, I remember when you lefties had 9 thread on Sarah Palin.....all on the front page.
The article that was linked to us was dated 4-20-12 so maybe the wrong person has been accused of using old stuff.

Old 04-22-2012, 05:04 PM

26,582 posts, read 14,449,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
Celebrity Matt Damon Retracts Support Of Obama
APRIL 20, 2012
yes, the IJ review article is from april 20, 2012 but all their references are months old ( note they never mentioned the dates for any of the quotes in the article ). matt's quote from his interview with piers morgan was in march 2011, obama's "response" was part of the correspondents dinner at the end of april 2011 and finally the quotes from the elle magazine interview are from december 2011 issue.

if this is what you want to talk about, great, have at it. i just find it funny that old information is being repackaged as something suddenly new.

Old 04-22-2012, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
The article that was linked to us was dated 4-20-12 so maybe the wrong person has been accused of using old stuff.
see my last post.

Old 04-22-2012, 05:18 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,950,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecking ball View Post
this is the second thread in a day from comments that started more than a year ago.

Matt Damon: Not a fan of Obama - CNN.com
The article is dated April 20, 2012.

Maybe these are NEW criticisms...and the response from obama, if true, is amazing...wouldn't you say? Petty, vindictive, petulant...he has cornered the snark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Ha. Yeah, that makes sense. What's he going to do? Vote for Romney?
Stay home....vote third party.

Old 04-22-2012, 05:31 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,945,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall_Rep View Post
Matt Damon should stick to acting...in fact...maybe practice a bit more...and keep his mouth shut about his political opinions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
Do any of these actors or actresses realize that most reasonable people don't really care what they think? I am not now, nor have I ever been pro Obama and I'm not wild about Romney, but if Matt Damon thinks his opinion matters to me or anyone else with half a mind, he needs to think again. Just make your movies and keep your political views to yourself Matt.
I agree with these posts.

If I was a movie or TV actor or a celebrity in any way I would not go around endorsing or denouncing politicians. Just having some kind of fame doesn't qualify you to pontificate on the elections.

My question is, if you owned a shop or a restaurant would you publicize your choices for political office? Doesn't sound like good business acumen to me ... you could potentially turn off half your customers.

The late actor Gary Cooper was known to his friends and family as a sincere Republican and a conservative, but was careful not to publicize his political leanings lest he disenchant a significant part of his fan base. He had friends who were Democrats and liberals, but was always a gentleman and respectful of other's opinions. Celebrities would do well to follow Cooper's example.

Old 04-22-2012, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
...and the response from obama, if true, is amazing...wouldn't you say?
well, i think things need to be put in context ( the article is intentionally misleading on a couple important points ).

obama's "response" came during the WH correspondents dinner in april 2011, an event where the president traditionally jokingly ridicules his critics. also the elle magazine interview with damon that the article leads with came out in december 2011, months after obama's "response".

the article failed to mention the WHCD context or the timeline for the quotes.

Old 04-22-2012, 05:46 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
I agree with these posts.

If I was a movie or TV actor or a celebrity in any way I would not go around endorsing or denouncing politicians. Just having some kind of fame doesn't qualify you to pontificate on the elections.

My question is, if you owned a shop or a restaurant would you publicize your choices for political office? Doesn't sound like good business acumen to me ... you could potentially turn off half your customers.

The late actor Gary Cooper was known to his friends and family as a sincere Republican and a conservative, but was careful not to publicize his political leanings lest he disenchant a significant part of his fan base. He had friends who were Democrats and liberals, but was always a gentleman and respectful of other's opinions. Celebrities would do well to follow Cooper's example.
I agree with the first post you quoted. As to the second, it seems like a lot of people take what these stars say seriously. Anyone who gives immunizations knows about Jenny McCarthy and her ill-informed, anti-immunization stance. She seems to have convinced a lot of people.

However, I def agree with your second paragraph. In fact, DH used to work for a small business where the owner said exactly that. I also work for a small business, and the owner, who is himself a mucky-muck in the R party, doesn't like to hear us talking politics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies