Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 05:29 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,119,250 times

Advertisements

You think that Obama is the first to invoke Executive Privilege? Think again: Here are a few Presidents who did:

George Washington
Thomas Jefferson
Andrew Jackson
Harry Truman
Dwight Eisenhower
John Kennedy
Jimmy Carter
Richard Nixon
Ronald Reagan
Bill Clinton
George W. Bush (4 times in a month)
Dick Cheney (I know, he wasn't a President, per se, but he invoked it)
Barack Obama

Sooo, before you start foaming at the mouth about Barack Obama, thinking he has set a precedent, you might want to study up on the matter.

Executive privilege: A rocky legal and political road in U.S. history

Executive privilege: A rocky legal and political road in U.S. history - CNN.com

...The U.S. Constitution does not expressly mention this idea of executive privilege.
President George Washington set the precedent in 1796 when he refused a House request for documents relating to how the Jay Treaty with Great Britain was negotiated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2012, 05:50 AM

5,036 posts, read 5,139,768 times
Lives were lost here. And should I post what the "news" media posted in previous instances? You and they are being hypocrites here. All because you must protect Obama at all costs.

They had 18 griffin months to comply and they mislead, lied, and failed to do so.

why don't you go tell the family affected by this that others did it so it's okay now.

Old 06-21-2012, 06:34 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,765,333 times
I don't understand this great admiration for this guy. He's been a complete failure. Why all the protection? Would they protect someone that came in a robbed their families? Someone that went and blew up their places of employment so they no longer had a job?
It's the same thing.
I just don't get it.

Old 06-21-2012, 06:38 AM

30,075 posts, read 18,678,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
You think that Obama is the first to invoke Executive Privilege? Think again: Here are a few Presidents who did:

George Washington
Thomas Jefferson
Andrew Jackson
Harry Truman
Dwight Eisenhower
John Kennedy
Jimmy Carter
Richard Nixon
Ronald Reagan
Bill Clinton
George W. Bush (4 times in a month)
Dick Cheney (I know, he wasn't a President, per se, but he invoked it)
Barack Obama

Sooo, before you start foaming at the mouth about Barack Obama, thinking he has set a precedent, you might want to study up on the matter.

Executive privilege: A rocky legal and political road in U.S. history

Executive privilege: A rocky legal and political road in U.S. history - CNN.com

...The U.S. Constitution does not expressly mention this idea of executive privilege.
President George Washington set the precedent in 1796 when he refused a House request for documents relating to how the Jay Treaty with Great Britain was negotiated.

It is not the NUMBER of times executive priveledge has been initiated, it is the REASON for which it is used which is at issue here.

Nixon tried to invoke "executive priveledge" in Watergate to hide a crime. Obama is doing so now as well. All Congress needs to do is to file suit in court (rather than pursue this in congress) in order to get the documents. The Supreme Court has already ruled on this matter in the Watergate case.

Why has Obama initiated this "priveledge"? Obviously, he is involved in this as well and made a political calculation about the relative cost of both options. I will not be surprised at all if Obama serves jail time after 2012, unless Romney grants him a pardon, as Ford did Nixon.

Old 06-21-2012, 07:07 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Both Nixon and Clinton failed to have EP held up to cover up their dirty work and/or criminal activity.
And in both cases it was found that EP was indeed used to cover up.

We shall see how this one proceeds.

Old 06-21-2012, 07:17 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,122,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
I don't understand this great admiration for this guy. He's been a complete failure. Why all the protection? Would they protect someone that came in a robbed their families? Someone that went and blew up their places of employment so they no longer had a job?
It's the same thing.
I just don't get it.
It's because they're fully invested. They have to maintain at least the appearance of being a cheering section, because they put 100% of their faith into his presidency, and their reputation is on the line. Do you seriously think that any of the hardcore cheerleaders here on C-D would EVER turn around and say, "You know, I was wrong about Obama."? Not a chance. Their investment is so complete, they're willing to go down with the ship, regardless of how obvious it is that it's sinking.

Old 06-21-2012, 07:21 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,207,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
It is not the NUMBER of times executive priveledge has been initiated, it is the REASON for which it is used which is at issue here.

Nixon tried to invoke "executive priveledge" in Watergate to hide a crime. Obama is doing so now as well. All Congress needs to do is to file suit in court (rather than pursue this in congress) in order to get the documents. The Supreme Court has already ruled on this matter in the Watergate case.

Why has Obama initiated this "priveledge"? Obviously, he is involved in this as well and made a political calculation about the relative cost of both options. I will not be surprised at all if Obama serves jail time after 2012, unless Romney grants him a pardon, as Ford did Nixon.
THAT would set a beautiful precident for justice.

However if Romney granted Obummer a pardon, THAT would show everyone that it's "who you ****/know, not what you.....". Just confirming what we already do know.

Old 06-21-2012, 07:27 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,765,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
It's because they're fully invested. They have to maintain at least the appearance of being a cheering section, because they put 100% of their faith into his presidency, and their reputation is on the line. Do you seriously think that any of the hardcore cheerleaders here on C-D would EVER turn around and say, "You know, I was wrong about Obama."? Not a chance. Their investment is so complete, they're willing to go down with the ship, regardless of how obvious it is that it's sinking.
That's just stupid. I never look down on someone that says "I made a mistake".
To save face? Really? That's what it's about? And to hell with our country as long as I remain delusional?

The only thing wrong with needing help is not asking for it.

Old 06-21-2012, 07:29 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,419,437 times
Quote:
It's the same thing.
I just don't get it.
Then you must really be baffled by the continued deification of Reagan, eh?

Reagan administration scandals - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-21-2012, 07:33 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,207,099 times
Quote:
That's just stupid. I never look down on someone that says "I made a mistake".
To save face? Really? That's what it's about? And to hell with our country as long as I remain delusional?

The only thing wrong with needing help is not asking for it.
Wow, I can not fathom people "staying the course" with a sinking ship and not being able to admit ya made a mistake. That's definitely stooooopid or ignorant or arrogant(?). How can a person be so "party line" (either side) that they can not use their own brain? SMH.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies