Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 08:38 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,688,919 times

Advertisements

hispanic is not a race but a culture. so one can be WHITE and of hispanic descendan or being black and hispanic or even ASIAN and still be apart of the hispanic culture...for example, sofia vegara would be a white hispanic, while zoe saladana(from avatar) is a black hispanic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2012, 08:38 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,822,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
ironically there is no such thing as a race either... it just kills you that there is no such thing as "white"...
I am white...my mother was Ukrainian she was a mix of every tribe that came though the region..From the south--the north and from the east...My brother married a Ukrainian woman...there sons have blonde hair and look like the great great great grandsons of some conquering yellow hord...their eyes have hints of China...Now my son..who just married a Chilean girl...may have kids with her..What will they be- they will be white but they will not be white..They will be like all great people...a mixture of every race that existed.

Christ was the son of man- genetically - the son of every human being that ever lived...

Old 04-30-2012, 09:10 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,364,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
hispanic is not a race but a culture. so one can be WHITE and of hispanic descendan or being black and hispanic or even ASIAN and still be apart of the hispanic culture...for example, sofia vegara would be a white hispanic, while zoe saladana(from avatar) is a black hispanic
I am not a scientist nor play one on tv but from what I have read of anthropology evilnewbie has it right: there is no scientific basis (e.g. DNA) for the concept of 'race.' There may be more variation within a (so-called) race than between two people who are purportedly of different races. So one might say that race is not a race.

Nor do I buy that Hispanic is a culture. Do Mexico, the Dominican Republic, the Phillipines, and Peru all share the same culture? No. Hispanic is basically a dumb terminology that someone came up with because for some doubtless PC reason the old terminology of 'latino' and 'chicano' was deemed wrong.

Old 04-30-2012, 09:11 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,906,907 times
Quote:
"Hispanic" is a label which is dishonest. Mitt Romney's father was born in Mexico and HIS parents were living there but few people will call Mitt a Hispanic or even Mexican American. But a person with a Spanish last name but whose family comes from England may be called Hispanic. It's called who does the counting and follow the money.

Old 04-30-2012, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
Actually he is White/Mestizo. He just happens to look more Mestizo, but as anyone who has taken high school biology knows, you can't always judge a book by it's cover.
What? Zimmerman by just looking at him IS Mestizo. Cameron Diaz is def white Hispanic.

Old 04-30-2012, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
Some Hispanics are Asian (former president Fujimori of Peru), some are African (Tito Puente of Puerto Rico), some are European (Sofia Vergara from Colombia), some are Native American (Cesar Milan), some are Middle Eastern (Shakira). So? The term Hispanic is an ethnic, or cultural, label that refers to people who speak Spanish. I don't use the term 'white' for anyone.
Chicanos don't speak Spanish are just as "Hispanic" as a short brown Indian from Guatemala. I'm def white with red hair; gotta love that Celtic Irish thing, in the sun. Ouch!

Old 04-30-2012, 09:17 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,933,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
CNN: Afro-Americans riot in Paris- dumb- just plain dumb...What did these Afros do...Hop on a planes and fly from Chicago...drop by to toss a few rocks and then come home?
Oh man I gotta see the video of this. Wonder if it's on youtube.

Old 04-30-2012, 09:21 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,321,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Chicanos don't speak Spanish are just as "Hispanic" as a short brown Indian from Guatemala. I'm def white with red hair; gotta love that Celtic Irish thing, in the sun. Ouch!
"Chicanos" speak some Spanish- likely more than you do. I'm looking at a white screen on city data. If you are white like that screen is white, you have some serious medical problems. You are European, Irish to be exact. No one is white. I guess a cadaver might be white, I'm not sure, I've never seen one.

Old 04-30-2012, 10:14 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,688,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
I am not a scientist nor play one on tv but from what I have read of anthropology evilnewbie has it right: there is no scientific basis (e.g. DNA) for the concept of 'race.' There may be more variation within a (so-called) race than between two people who are purportedly of different races. So one might say that race is not a race.

Nor do I buy that Hispanic is a culture. Do Mexico, the Dominican Republic, the Phillipines, and Peru all share the same culture? No. Hispanic is basically a dumb terminology that someone came up with because for some doubtless PC reason the old terminology of 'latino' and 'chicano' was deemed wrong.
Well if there is no scientific basis of race then what's thr point of this dumb thread? And you don't have to buy whether Hispanic is a culture, it's a historical fact. Tell that to a Hispanic person and they will beg to differ on what you think you believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
"Hispanic" is a label which is dishonest. Mitt Romney's father was born in Mexico and HIS parents were living there but few people will call Mitt a Hispanic or even Mexican American. But a person with a Spanish last name but whose family comes from England may be called Hispanic. It's called who does the counting and follow the money.
Tell that to Hispanics that their label is dishonest

Old 04-30-2012, 10:20 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,364,082 times
Quote:
Well if there is no scientific basis of race then what's thr point of this dumb thread? And you don't have to buy whether Hispanic is a culture, it's a historical fact. Tell that to a Hispanic person and they will beg to differ on what you think you believe
Excuse me but it is not the thread that is dumb here. Did you read 'thr' thread?' The point was about the bias of the NYT and the lib media in general.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies