Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 07:47 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,906,907 times

Advertisements

I'm Gen X but many of my friends are Boomers. When I was a teen in the early 1980's; I remember the Boomers crying how THEIR parents still had the good jobs and so on. Besides; the Boomers ARE dying off as the youngest ones are pushing 50.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2012, 07:49 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,938,715 times
As a Millenial, I envision our Government adopting much of the groundwork that Ron Paul and other Libertarian leaning idealist have set forth. Most of these ideas are from our forefathers and Constitution, so nothing new here. But our current Corporotacracy resembles nothing like our intended Government. There are mini-revolutions underway all over the country and I believe will collimate into some of what is listed below.

-A foreign policy of non-intervention and trade.

There will be despotic leaders no matter what-America cannot afford nor is it even possible to police the entire World. We can focus on restoring and renewing justice in our own country first. Lead by example-Not by force.

-Very few laws protecting one from oneself (No "War on Drugs" and the subsequent prison and police Industrial Complex)

- No over-reaching Federal Government (Localization is the best policy. It limits malpractice and ensures proper representation)

-No Big Gov/Big Biz collusion (No Industrial Complexes, No TBTF Banks that receive preferential treatment from the Federal Reserve, No inefficient bueracracies that grow and grow and grow)

-Organized religion will be nearly extinct yet people would be more spiritual and more connected with nature. Social issues would be pushed to the back burner as people adopt a "live and let live" lifestyle.

-People would be less inclined in using Government to solve problems. More charities, more housing programs and food programs that do not operate as a bueracracy but as a life-line to those directly in the community.

Basically, Localization Localization Localization

Farms directly in the communities they serve, Credit Unions serving communities, an overall life of sustainability and self-sufficiency, etc.

Of course, The Unites States of America would still be the most influential and inspirational country in the World but only because all the people have control over their Government. Not because we spend more on our Military than the entire world combined.

Last edited by 2e1m5a; 05-02-2012 at 08:08 AM..

Old 05-02-2012, 07:54 AM

3,457 posts, read 3,623,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
Of course that is a problem. But when they enacted Social Security in the
the mid '30's, the average woman only lived to 65, and the average guy
only to 57. When Medicare was enacted in 1965, we had not even had
the first human heart transplant.

The problem government has/will have with the boomers, is they
are the first generation that has paid both SS and Medicare their
entire working life. Most would call that "being ripped off" if gov doesn't
deliver on those benefits. And yes, they are living much longer...

I have a part solution: get out of wars of choice and world military policing.
can we spell A-f-g-h-a-n-i-s-t-a-n...
Eliminate Medicare, poor and indigent people won't live as long, and SS costs will go down.

Old 05-02-2012, 07:59 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,207,220 times
According to the definitions in this thread, I am a Millennial myself and am fairly ashamed at how lazy and entitled most people my age are. The idea of working harder to make something of yourself is something that a lot of people my age (26) just don't understand.

Old 05-02-2012, 08:00 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
According to the definitions in this thread, I am a Millennial myself and am fairly ashamed at how lazy and entitled most people my age are. The idea of working harder to make something of yourself is something that a lot of people my age (26) just don't understand.
What entitlements are they receiving. My kids are about your age, and they're working hard, not receiving any sort of entitlements.

Old 05-02-2012, 08:02 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,020,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus View Post
Eliminate Medicare, people won't live as long, and SS costs will go down.
I'm not interested in eliminating Medicare. I'm an advocate of
"Medicare for ALL"

Social Security should never have been touched by Congress.
It has been theft on a grand scale.

Doesn't it bother you that the one thing these taxation programs
have in common, is when they were enacted; gov/congress used
demographics that they knew at the time/thought the majority of
recipients statistically would/should not have never collected or used
the service.

Oooops.

Busted - when a government takes tax dollars to deceive.

Old 05-02-2012, 08:08 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,207,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
What entitlements are they receiving. My kids are about your age, and they're working hard, not receiving any sort of entitlements.
I said people feel entitled, not that they are receiving entitlements. Many, many people my age feel like they can graduate with an english degree or a history degree and immediately find a great job. Many people my age feel like they should work a 35-40 hour work week and never 'pay their dues' with a few years of longer hours. Many people my age feel like they immediately deserve to be able to go on vacations overseas while in college/in their early 20's.

I could go on, but I think you get the point I am making. It the attitude that the world owes them something is prevalent among many of my fellow millennials.

Old 05-02-2012, 08:32 AM

3,457 posts, read 3,623,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
I'm not interested in eliminating Medicare. I'm an advocate of
"Medicare for ALL"
Wow, sounds like the worst case scenario. That would cost a fortune.

Quote:
Social Security should never have been touched by Congress.
It has been theft on a grand scale.

Doesn't it bother you that the one thing these taxation programs
have in common, is when they were enacted; gov/congress used
demographics that they knew at the time/thought the majority of
recipients statistically would/should not have never collected or used
the service.

Oooops.

Busted - when a government takes tax dollars to deceive.
The legislature may have taken money from SS , to put in the general fund at some point, sure -- but they also took money from the general fund, to use for SS. It is not as simple as you make it out to be.

Social Security History FAQs Internet Myths II

the SS administration says that what you're saying is a myth.

Quote:
Q1. Which political party took Social Security from the independent trust fund and put it into the general fund so that Congress could spend it?

A1: There has never been any change in the way the Social Security program is financed or the way that Social Security payroll taxes are used by the federal government. The Social Security Trust Fund was created in 1939 as part of the Amendments enacted in that year. From its inception, the Trust Fund has always worked the same way. The Social Security Trust Fund has never been "put into the general fund of the government."

Most likely this question comes from a confusion between the financing of the Social Security program and the way the Social Security Trust Fund is treated in federal budget accounting. Starting in 1969 (due to action by the Johnson Administration in 1968) the transactions to the Trust Fund were included in what is known as the "unified budget." This means that every function of the federal government is included in a single budget. This is sometimes described by saying that the Social Security Trust Funds are "on-budget." This budget treatment of the Social Security Trust Fund continued until 1990 when the Trust Funds were again taken "off-budget." This means only that they are shown as a separate account in the federal budget. But whether the Trust Funds are "on-budget" or "off-budget" is primarily a question of accounting practices--it has no effect on the actual operations of the Trust Fund itself.

Old 05-02-2012, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Many people my age feel like they immediately deserve to be able to go on vacations overseas while in college/in their early 20's.

I could go on, but I think you get the point I am making. It the attitude that the world owes them something is prevalent among many of my fellow millennials.
I don't know if "college" should be the example of your point

Since the invention of 20th century education,
folks have gone on vacations while in college.
It's called Spring Break
Whether it be Palm Springs, the banks of Paris or Amsterdam....
Sure, they might have gone from bunking in a motel, to
staying at a youth hostile, to a Hilton,
but the state of mind hasn't changed.

Old 05-02-2012, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus View Post
Wow, sounds like the worst case scenario. That would cost a fortune.

the SS administration says that what you're saying is a myth.
I wouldn't be quoting anyone from a gov level on SS.

Actually Medicare for all would cost us all less as a nation.
All in, one pool. Health care - not for profit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies