Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 09:57 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,716,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Yeah, he thinks that all of those commandments that have the words God of Heaven in them should go somewhere. I bet he doesn't have many Christian moments in his life.

Those commandments are still what they were in the beginning and that would be how to live our lives to keep us away from burying ourselves with the others we kill and mistreat.

Here I have included a really good part of a commencement speech by Ted Koppel in 1987. Not one atheist will like those words but any Christian should see what they are and why he delivered that speech.

Judge Suggests that Only Six of Ten Commandments be Posted in School - Godfather Politics
1. Your link doesn't even mention the name of the judge. It's hard to take it seriously as a news source.

2. Not sure why you keep touting Christian views as the Ten Commandments are from the Judaic tradition.

3. Ted Koppel is not a judge hearing a lawsuit, and his speech has nothing to do with anything regarding this alleged case. Commencement addresses, to my knowledge, are not bound by law the way a judge would be.

4. Have you ever considered something like macrame, or model car building? It might be really good for you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2012, 09:58 AM

44,882 posts, read 33,268,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
George Carlin was a funny man but sometimes he went a bit far and this is one of them.

Old 05-11-2012, 09:59 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,125,541 times
Quote:
Yeah, he thinks that all of those commandments that have the words God of Heaven in them should go somewhere. I bet he doesn't have many Christian moments in his life.

Those commandments are still what they were in the beginning and that would be how to live our lives to keep us away from burying ourselves with the others we kill and mistreat.

Here I have included a really good part of a commencement speech by Ted Koppel in 1987. Not one atheist will like those words but any Christian should see what they are and why he delivered that speech.

Judge Suggests that Only Six of Ten Commandments be Posted in School - Godfather Politics
Do you have a Christian superiority complex or something? You are extermely judgmental which is not very "Christian"...btw.

A Christain moment? Does that commence in the morning or afternoon? What about a Buddhist moment or a Jewish moment. Do Christians have a monopoly on moments? I do not need Ted Koppel to assist me in differentiating between right and wrong nor does any other logical and intelligent human being.

Old 05-11-2012, 09:59 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,479,163 times
Quote:
I dislike my in-laws intensely, but it isn't the 'commandments' but individual conscience and the support it's given by the justice system that keeps me from killing them.

Old 05-11-2012, 10:01 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,565,372 times
Quote:
George Carlin was a funny man but sometimes he went a bit far and this is one of them.
In what sense? His comments about God are spot on.

Old 05-11-2012, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
None of the 10 commandments should be displayed in public buildings.

Feel free to post them on church property, though. Just as the constitution specifies. You're still in favor of the constitution, aren't you?
Could you quote your part of the Constitution, please? Oh, I forgot, the part you are talking about is interpreted by someone in the last hundred or so years, but still has meaning to lots of people. I like to read the Constitution in a what the words say not what I interpret from them. You should try it sometime to escape the progressivist means of interpretation,

Old 05-11-2012, 10:02 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times
Quote:
I accepted that part of progressive reasoning long ago, like back when they just had to have prayer removed. The part of this one that I can't understand is that the judge said that 60% of those Commandments should be allowed in school, at all. It seems he must be weakening in the progressive thinking since only when the word God is mentioned it is illegal.

I sure didn't know that anybody was allowed to post any of those Commandments in a public school anymore. However, I would like to see your thinking about Ted Koppel's words at the commencement in 1987. Go ahead and read them on the link and let me know what you think about them.
Accepted? You should have learned to live with progressive reasoning presented a lot longer than you can (clearly) think.

"Nothwithstanding the general progress made within the two last centuries in favour of this branch of liberty, & the full establishment of it, in some parts of our Country, there remains in others a strong bias towards the old error, that without some sort of alliance or coalition between Gov' & Religion neither can be duly supported: Such indeed is the tendency to such a coalition, and such its corrupting influence on both the parties, that the danger cannot be too carefully guarded against. And in a Gov't of opinion, like ours, the only effectual guard must be found in the soundness and stability of the general opinion on the subject. Every new & successful example therefore of a perfect separation between ecclesiastical and civil matters, is of importance. And I have no doubt that every new example, will succeed, as every past one has done, in shewing that religion & Gov will both exist in greater purity, the less they are mixed together."
- James Madison, 1822

Quote:
Is there a chance that with Judaism being based on the Old Testament which was written before Christ was born that maybe he wouldn't show up much in that Book of the Holy Bible? Maybe that is the reason that they don't talk about Him a great lot.
Wasn't Jesus' arrival predicted a long long time ago, and He did show up and wasn't accepted. Was He? Yet, you rail against Islam that actually gives some credibility to Jesus.

Old 05-11-2012, 10:02 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
The "Ten commandments" are the basis of the greatest protection scam of all time. It claims you all have an immortal soul that will suffer in Hell after you die if you do not give us respect and money. First part, soul, is an assumption and unsupported claim, and the latter the shakedown. Too bad billions have fallen for these shysters over the centuries but they have.

Keep ALL religious icons out of schools. Teach kids realities not myths. If you must post something let it be “do unto others as you would do unto yourself”.
The commandments do not say anything about hell. God gave the commandments only to prove people that they cannot keep the commandments.

Keeping them is an impossible task, and no one has been able to keep the 10 commandments. Should US public buildings post a list of commandments which are impossible to keep? I don't know, but personally I do not have any problem with it.

Old 05-11-2012, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
I like that part where "Religions never have any problem with murders. More people have been killed in the name of the God."

George Carlin is funny and sharp.
Old George was so sharp that he knew that civilization at the time of the writing of the Bible wasn't exactly the same as it is now. I think that most of what we think about murder and other "crimes" today comes from the Christian teachings that came after the days he was talking about.

Old 05-11-2012, 10:04 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,937,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Jesus is more of a central figure in Islam than he is in Judaism (with which most Christians seem to feel more comfortable with). Jesus and Mohammed, are both prophets (as is Moses), except that Mohammed being the last.

But, you took the least significant of the argument presented and have started running with it. Digest it, religious zealots be it Islamic, or Christian, have a common desire: push their religious agenda on EVERYBODY and influence public policies to their whim. This is yet another example of the same.
Well at least you got the first sentence right. Jesus is more than a prophet, that's were the divide is.

Only because it was the least significant of your reasoning. Non-believers are just as pushy in their non-belief and desire to destroy the God of Christianity. They are doing plenty of pushing their beliefs on the rest of us not to mention the pure hate.

Stop whining not ALL Christians are the worlds problem..............
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies