Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 09:22 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times

Advertisements

NG - I am finally at a loss for words to express my contempt for your position on this matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2007, 11:30 PM

1,499 posts, read 4,832,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
NG - I am finally at a loss for words to express my contempt for your position on this matter.
Why do people in the left INSIST on giving terrorists Habeas Corpus???

I cannot, for the life of me, understand why do you guys want to free Guantanamo Bay prisoners.

For the last time: PEOPLE IN GUANTANAMO WERE NOT PICKED UP ON A STREET CORNER IN A US CITY OR ANY OTHER CITY IN THE WORLD. THEY WERE PICKED UP IN A BATTLEFIELD WITH A BAZOOKA, WEAPONS, OR BOMBS.

THERE IS NO DOUBT THESE GUYS ARE TERRORISTS. THEY WERE CAUGHT WITH WEAPONS FIGHTING US TROOPS. THEY WERE DETAINED OUTSIDE THE USA, THEREFORE THE US CONSTITUTION DOES NOT APPLY.

Why should we cut them lose in the USA?? Their own home countries do NOT want them back. The last 6 the US freeded from Guantanamo were arrested again outside the US committing more terrorism! Do you want these guys out???

Old 09-27-2007, 11:55 PM

2,935 posts, read 5,000,340 times
Do you really trust the executive branch of the government/millitary to decide (outside of the court system, with no fair trials), who is a "terrorist" and who isn't? What if Evil Communist Villian Inferior Woman Hillary Clinton's administration got hold of this power, NG? Wouldn't you be afraid of how they would wield it? If we're going to treat them like legitimate POWs that's one thing, locking them up in secretive prisons and using KGB-esque interrogation techniques on whoever the president decides is a terrorist/commie/foreign political obstacle is another thing entirely.

Old 09-28-2007, 12:17 AM

1,499 posts, read 4,832,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmonger View Post
Do you really trust the executive branch of the government/millitary to decide (outside of the court system, with no fair trials), who is a "terrorist" and who isn't? What if Evil Communist Villian Inferior Woman Hillary Clinton's administration got hold of this power, NG? Wouldn't you be afraid of how they would wield it? If we're going to treat them like legitimate POWs that's one thing, locking them up in secretive prisons and using KGB-esque interrogation techniques on whoever the president decides is a terrorist/commie/foreign political obstacle is another thing entirely.
Again, even if the evil Hillary Clinton got a hold of "such power", she would NOT be able to use it against US Citizens or people detained in the USA. In fact not even Bush (aka. the far left's #1 enemy) has used "such powers" against US citizens or against ANYONE detained in the USA.

Jose Padilla, who is charged with terrorism, but was arrested in the USA and has a regular trial. He has lawyers, has a regular trial, looked good in court, did not accuse the government of torture (when he could have). He ain't getting bond, because he is facing life and most inmates facing life on regular crimes do NOT get bond.

Even Zacharias Mussaui had a regular trial. He had a lawyer. He looked nice, well-fed, healthy, had a nice smirk on his face, and was proud of 9/11. he was here in the USA ILLEGALLY and yet has been awareded civil and criminal rights as any US citizen.

So really, if the suspected terrorist is caught in the USA, he is under US jurisdiction, he has US Constitutional Rights. But the Guantanamo guys were caught OUTSIDE the jurisdiction of the USA, and thus have no US Constitutional Rights.

I think we live in a horrible age, where 1 nutcase with an Iranian suitcase nuke can kill millions in 1 minute. If we don't question these foreign terrorists outside the USA really HARD, we will have another 9/11. And that to me is far worse than interrogating some evil Islamist outside the USA.

Again, no Habeas Corpous for non-USCs detained outside the USA. There is no legal basis for such a thing. The Constitution protects those INSIDE the USA, who are under the jurisdiction of the USA.

Old 09-28-2007, 12:46 AM

Are non-US citizens less worthy of basic human rights?

Old 09-28-2007, 01:19 AM

24,511 posts, read 33,317,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmonger View Post
Are non-US citizens less worthy of basic human rights?
Basic human rights, yes; citizens rights, no. (This does not apply to terrorists, though.)

Old 09-28-2007, 08:41 AM

Is habeas corpus not a basic human right?

Old 09-28-2007, 09:02 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,479,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirvana-Guy View Post
For the last time: PEOPLE IN GUANTANAMO WERE NOT PICKED UP ON A STREET CORNER IN A US CITY OR ANY OTHER CITY IN THE WORLD. THEY WERE PICKED UP IN A BATTLEFIELD WITH A BAZOOKA, WEAPONS, OR BOMBS.
Not everyone is so firmly convinced of that. This guy isn't. Of course, everything he says is a lie because he's some traitorous leftist lawyer who actually defends a handful of these Gitmo guys and so has actually been there a bunch of times and studied the facts and details of his clients' situation which only makes him more able to lie just to try to get his clients off easy somehow. Clearly, you would be the go-to-guy on getting the facts straight re Gitmo...not this guy...

Guantanamo: American Gulag

Old 09-28-2007, 09:10 AM

223 posts, read 604,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
If you don't think other human beings have any value, how can you call yourself a Christian conservative? Is there something in the water that Christian conservatives drink that makes them support such unAmerican (dare I say downright evil) positions? Isn't this the kind of opinion we have always fought against as Americans?

I understand you hate terrorists. I don't even know what a terrorist is because our government has reserved that definition for whatever it wants. Kinda scary, huh? Christian conservatives might be terrorists. People talking about constitutional rights might be terrorists. Hell, half these threads could be written by government black operatives to filter out who they think might be thinking like a terrorist.

Before you condemn people to life in prison without fair trial, please open your heart and mind.
Good points. "Terrorist" is such a generic term, it can be manipulated to include anyone...and that is da*n scary.

Anymore, when I see the words Christian and Conservative together I immediately think "irrational thinking extremist nut job."

Old 09-28-2007, 09:13 AM

223 posts, read 604,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirvana-Guy View Post
Jose Padilla, who is charged with terrorism, but was arrested in the USA and has a regular trial. He has lawyers, has a regular trial, looked good in court, did not accuse the government of torture (when he could have). He ain't getting bond, because he is facing life and most inmates facing life on regular crimes do NOT get bond.
Didn't Padilla's lawyer intiially have to fight tooth and nail to get the guy out of Gitmo and into the regular court system?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies