Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2012, 06:36 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,755,909 times

Advertisements

Miles made a big mistake by running from the police, especially after they identified themselves.

Officers won't be charged in Jordan Miles incident - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2012, 06:44 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,229,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
Miles made a big mistake by running from the police, especially after they identified themselves.

Officers won't be charged in Jordan Miles incident - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Great news. Good for Pittsburgh

Old 05-17-2012, 06:51 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,135,112 times
The kid who was beaten was an honor student. He seemed like a respectable kid. Does anybody know his past criminal record?

Police can not simply arrest anybody they want. There has to be reasonable cause.

Old 05-17-2012, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
The kid who was beaten was an honor student. He seemed like a respectable kid. Does anybody know his past criminal record?

Police can not simply arrest anybody they want. There has to be reasonable cause.
Well, he was told to stop by police and he ran, police pursued him. What more can be said.

Old 05-17-2012, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Well, he was told to stop by police and he ran, police pursued him. What more can be said.
It still doesn't justify the beating.

Also, you have to understand some of what goes on in inner cities in this country. The police, especially in some of those precincts, are not the most "honorable" citizens to have to deal with. If you've experienced police brutality or criminal police behavior, then your not likely to trust the police.

However, running does not justify a beating. If he was fighting with the police, that's a different story. I read most of the article but didn't see on 1st glance where he was fighting with the police.

That is the only thing that justifies "force" from the police. The police can't beat a guy just because he made them run a little bit.

Especially when WE are the ones paying their salaries.

Old 05-17-2012, 07:12 AM

Quote:
It still doesn't justify the beating.

Also, you have to understand some of what goes on in inner cities in this country. The police, especially in some of those precincts, are not the most "honorable" citizens to have to deal with. If you've experienced police brutality or criminal police behavior, then your not likely to trust the police.

However, running does not justify a beating. If he was fighting with the police, that's a different story. I read most of the article but didn't see on 1st glance where he was fighting with the police.

That is the only thing that justifies "force" from the police. The police can't beat a guy just because he made them run a little bit.

Especially when WE are the ones paying their salaries.
I agree police are overzealous sometimes, but my understanding is, he was resisting and even said ''you're not taking me to jail''. Since I live near the area this took place, I have been following this case from the beginning. Had he not run, this would not be an issue.

Old 05-17-2012, 07:16 AM

Quote:
I agree police are overzealous sometimes, but my understanding is, he was resisting and even said ''you're not taking me to jail''. Since I live near the area this took place, I have been following this case from the beginning. Had he not run, this would not be an issue.
I've got you. Do you know what all he did to resist arrest? The only reason I'm asking is because typically if the police might be at fault for obsessive force, they'll say the suspect was "resisting arrest." That term can be debated.

Is the suspect resisting arrest from shielding himself from being beaten? Was the suspect aggressively attacking officers or defending himself? Is trying to escape the beating resisting arrest?

I'm just trying to be objective in the case. Another question I have to ask, is if there were any witnesses to the event.

Old 05-17-2012, 07:39 AM

4,146 posts, read 2,842,214 times
Quote:

I think you've got reasonable suspicion and probable cause combined here. Probable cause is the term you're looking for.

Old 05-17-2012, 07:42 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,833,891 times
Quote:
That would make for some pathetic police officers for taking this issue where it went.

Old 05-17-2012, 08:15 AM

5,524 posts, read 9,942,317 times
If these three cops cannot take down one HS kid without beating him this badly then they need a new job. Sure he ran but still they were undercover. That's not a crime nor does it deserve this kind of a beating. Just another case of walking around with a refreshment in your pocket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies