Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2007, 08:34 AM

5,642 posts, read 15,711,475 times

Advertisements

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2007, 08:38 AM

7,381 posts, read 7,693,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by francej16 View Post
and yes $400 a month is horrid for a family of 3.

especially when you are paying this amount to the insurance company and only getting 75% ucr on services paid
So, what happens to the insurance company's bottom line if a major medical condition is realized by one of their clients. In this case, most individuals will receive in benefits more than they've paid in. This is the gamble with paying for health insurance. Nobody wants to have to use it, but they complain when they feel like they aren't getting any benefit from the money they're paying into it.

Old 09-22-2007, 08:49 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,402,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
The biggest economy in the world. The economy of California alone is the world's 5th biggest.

And that means what, exactly, to the average worker, when the benefits of having the "biggest economy in the world" are not shared?

China and India will someday have "the biggest economies in the world," but you won't catch ME gauging how desirable it is to live there vs. the US based on the size of their economies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
a higher standard of living?? right.. most european houses are tiny, nearly impossible to find a large store in the middle of the night, chronic strikes leave people stranded or mountains of trash on streets, little tiny cars because they can't afford the TAX on their gas etc.. I've been all over the world and there is nothing like the US, not even close.. it is nice to visit europe though, especially to show the kids how lucky they are...
They live in houses that aren't EXCESSIVELY large, unlike the United States with our cheaply made McMansions, ever-growing homes and smaller families.

They don't drive 4X4s because the gas is taxed to reflect the TRUE PRICE of oil, not the government-subsidized price we have here in the US (subsidized in how much blood and treasure has gone into "securing" the sludge to keep oil companies free from innovating). The roads are also smaller.

"Standard of living" means a heckuva lot more than how much "stuff" you can buy, and how big of an empty, poorly decorated large house you have to put all that stuff into.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amznjohn
I don't want to get too personal, but why did he lose his job and why was it mandantory that you move? You don't need to answer these questions, but these are questions that need to be asked when some people claim that they moved to a worse situation. If the job was simply dissolved, there are other options other than moving to another area. If the person was fired, then I suspect you know my answer to this. People need to judge the ramifications for their actions and decisions beforehand, so that they can make the best decisions possible.
You are absolutely unbelievable! Perhaps the man was laid off, and instead of jumping on the dole, they took a chance to move elsewhere to better themselves, EXACTLY what you say people should be doing! You don't "know" what options existed to them, or what the quality or type of "other jobs in the area" are. REGARDLESS, since health benefits can be gold plated at one company and non-existent at the next, EVEN IN THE SAME AREA, your point is moot.

Even if it WEREN'T mandatory that the guy lost his job, maybe it was a DEAD END job, and they wanted to do EXACTLY what you say everyone should be doing, which is bettering themselves, and trying to improve their situation, only to be hit in the face with terrible health insurance for the effort.

There's a poster on this board who always highlights how lack of universal coverage is a burden on the economy just for the very situation illustrated in by this family that moved to Montana: Economic immobility and being STUCK in a particular job or country where you may not be most efficient!

Too bad you put your "tax dollars" above even the success of the economy of your country.

Old 09-22-2007, 08:49 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,392,256 times
people always expect to get their mistakes subsidized.. it's part of the it's not my fault mentality that's rampant everywhere.. if people would just accept responsibility for their own stupid mistakes life would be much more simple

Old 09-22-2007, 08:55 AM

Quote:
people always expect to get their mistakes subsidized.. it's part of the it's not my fault mentality that's rampant everywhere.. if people would just accept responsibility for their own stupid mistakes life would be much more simple
Again, an amazingly ignorant comment! Lack of perfect health = A PERSONAL MISTAKE?!

I don't even know why we BOTHER having a military or police force in this country, the way some of you are so DISGUSTINGLY vile and cold, valuing MONEY over people to say that you have no problem that your fellow citizens suffer and/or DIE because they lack healthcare you don't want to "subsidize!"

We might as well dissolve the military and police forces right now. After all, if we ever get invaded, or become victims of crime, it's OUR personal mistake that we got victimized. Wrong place, wrong time. If you can't protect yourself, or have private body guards, deal with your own mistakes because I don't want to subsidize YOUR safety.

Old 09-22-2007, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
They live in houses that aren't EXCESSIVELY large, unlike the United States with our cheaply made McMansions, ever-growing homes and smaller families.

They don't drive 4X4s because the gas is taxed to reflect the TRUE PRICE of oil, not the government-subsidized price we have here in the US (subsidized in how much blood and treasure has gone into "securing" the sludge to keep oil companies free from innovating). The roads are also smaller.

"Standard of living" means a heckuva lot more than how much "stuff" you can buy, and how big of an empty, poorly decorated large house you have to put all that stuff into.
The house part is envy and it's ok, most people do it, but most won't admit to it.. anybody that says they'd be more happy living in minimal accomodations probably is a liar...

as far as the gas prices, NO, that's taxes and nothing but taxes making it that much more expensive. Look at the commodities market around the world and you'll see basically one price for oil... and that blood and treasure quote was taken frome somewhere else. I read it earlier today...

BTW, my house is not only big, but it's actually a little too full. We need to get a dumpster to throw away some of the old stuff.. plenty of decorations too, almost the same situation with them

Old 09-22-2007, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by francej16 View Post
Your a Texan .. no need for me to even justify your idiocy w/a remark.

Lived there for 2 years. I've seen you and your "breed"
you should look at the terms of use because you just broke them.. good job

long live ignorance

Old 09-22-2007, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
I never claimed any superiority. My statements weren't directed specifically at you or your situation. I was only using it as an example of what could be the case for many others. People need to make plans BEFORE they quit their jobs, looking for better situations and benefits. Marketability is the solution to moving to another job or position. Everyone should work to make themselves more marketable in the event that they need to make a career move.
exactly what I meant also, but of course my comments were misconstrued as well.. It had nothing to do with healthcare, which BTW I feel is a broken system that needs SOMETHING done to, but not a hillary or obama plan..

I'm personally not very happy with my job right now, BUT I'm not going to quit it and hope I find something better.. I'm looking for something better and when I find it and know that it is a definite job, then I'll put in my two weeks notice.. I have a wife and two kids and have had them for many many years, so I know what personal responsibility is.. we have made it where we are today from basically nothing and I don't feel I should feel guilty for being a modest success

Old 09-22-2007, 09:07 AM

5,168 posts, read 11,438,772 times
Quote:
The house part is envy and it's ok, most people do it, but most won't admit to it.. anybody that says they'd be more happy living in minimal accomodations probably is a liar...

as far as the gas prices, NO, that's taxes and nothing but taxes making it that much more expensive. Look at the commodities market around the world and you'll see basically one price for oil... and that blood and treasure quote was taken frome somewhere else. I read it earlier today...

BTW, my house is not only big, but it's actually a little too full. We need to get a dumpster to throw away some of the old stuff.. plenty of decorations too, almost the same situation with them
Wrong. I live in a 1100 ft. house and have no mortgage. We could buy a much larger house, but chose not to. Obviously you think that everyone wants to have a big, energy-hog house, they don't. There are people out there with values other than yours, IMAGINE THAT

Old 09-22-2007, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Actually, no. LOCATION is key in real estate, not "bigness," which is an obsession I won't get into.

Space is a premium in Europe, as it is in metro areas in the United States (which are the economic and cultural engines of this nation). Our epidemic suburban sprawl is nothing to be proud of, really. Higher density, "smarter" living is the only way our lifestyle can be sustained.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007
Yeah, it's taxes, and those taxes reflect oil's TRUE price. The "traded" value is WITHOUT subsidization factored in, just as the amount of tax dollars spent on subsidizng agriculture in this country isn't reflected or made a premium on the commodities market either!

The blood and treasure terms were probably my words again, as I used them in another thread. But I originally heard the term from Anne Coulter, if you could imagine that. Nonetheless, the fact remains that WE, the taxpayer, SUBSIDIZE the extraction and "protection" or oil, and that price is NOT factored into what we pay at the pump. Though it should be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007
Good for you. I downsized to be closer to the water and downtown. I did a major purge of "stuff" and I've never been happier being so unchained from clutter and useless crap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies