Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2012, 07:43 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,906,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
Those "funky dialects" (as you call them) are actually creole languages. As I mentioned earlier, many speakers of "Ebonics", "Pidgin", "Patwa", and "Tok Pisin" are also proficient in standard English (ie. multilingual). Speaking Pidgin didn't hurt U.S. Senator Daniel Inouye, former Hawaiʻi governor John Waiheʻe, former Hawaiʻi governor George Ariyoshi, and a host of other prominent folks in Hawaiʻi. Similarly, knowing Ebonics didn't prevent Oprah Winfrey, Clarence Thomas, Maya Angelou, and even Elvis Presley from getting ahead in life.

And, speaking Patwa didn't prevent Bob Marley from getting ahead in life. Marley made more money and is better remembered than the late Dylan Taite, the standard English-speaking journalist that interviewed him below...

Bob Marley - New Zealand Interview 1979 - YouTube
In the "hood" those dialects are probably Ok. In the outside world: standard English IS the way to go. My English ain't the best but people at least understand what I say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2012, 11:16 AM

2,624 posts, read 7,261,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
In the "hood" those dialects are probably Ok. In the outside world: standard English IS the way to go. My English ain't the best but people at least understand what I say.
If that were the case, many of the folks that made fortunes peddling "rap" and "hip-hop" music and fashion would probably still be in the "hood." Let's compare the speaking styles of Richard D. Parsons, former CEO of Time Warner (and former chairman of Citigroup) and media mogul Sean Combs...

Richard Parsons Speech at Sportsball 2008 - YouTube

P. Diddy's Acceptance Speech for an Award from the Jackie Robinson Foundation - YouTube

Richard Parsons speaks standard English (for the most part) has a net worth in the neighborhood of $100 million. However, Sean Combs who's clearly more comfortable speaking "Ebonics" has a net worth in the neighborhood of $500 million.

The reason behind the differential between the overall net worths of Parsons and Combs hasn't been lost on the Chinese...

Cool Chinese (Wuhanhua) Rap Video -

Old 06-08-2012, 11:30 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,655,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
If that were the case, many of the folks that made fortunes peddling "rap" and "hip-hop" music and fashion would probably still be in the "hood." Let's compare the speaking styles of Richard D. Parsons, former CEO of Time Warner (and former chairman of Citigroup) and media mogul Sean Combs...

Richard Parsons Speech at Sportsball 2008 - YouTube

P. Diddy's Acceptance Speech for an Award from the Jackie Robinson Foundation - YouTube

Richard Parsons speaks standard English (for the most part) has a net worth in the neighborhood of $100 million. However, Sean Combs who's clearly more comfortable speaking "Ebonics" has a net worth in the neighborhood of $500 million.

The reason behind the differential between the overall net worths of Parsons and Combs hasn't been lost on the Chinese...

Cool Chinese (Wuhanhua) Rap Video -
I guarantee you two things:

1. There is no correlation, positive or negative, between the speaking of Ebonics/African American English and net worth.

2. Both Sean Combs and Richard Parsons are conversant in Standard American English and African American English.

Old 06-08-2012, 11:57 AM

3,948 posts, read 4,306,483 times
I think that if I were a White American with the feelings that I have about this, I would NOT want to be over there teaching English. I would refuse and reject the job offer if I found out that this was going on. I think that China wants that IMAGE of a White American teaching Chinese students because they think that makes the English lessons more immersive. Obviously, the race has nothing to do with teaching-abilities, but I think they have the image of English and their image is a White person.

Old 06-08-2012, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
One reason why I say African Americans whine too much. Most of the world is unabasedly racist. Actually to be more accurate they respect power and achievement. As far as the Chinese are concerned Blacks haven't created or done anything that demands their respect.

The Chinese are being practical, if they want to learn English why would they want to be taught by someone who speaks Ebonics?
Uh ... the article was actually MORE about the Asian (Korean-American and last name "Lee") who got rejected the job and not a Black person.

Wow ... ignorance and arrogance you have shown.

Did you even READ the article and link? Of course you didn't. You are seriously messed up because you continue to show your mean-spirited attack on Black people.

You really shouldn't be allowed to post anymore.

Old 06-08-2012, 12:02 PM

I also want to add that Black Americans and Black people from other countries are in Japan teaching for the JET Programme and it is not an uncommon thing to see. At least Japan isn't telling people that only Whites can get the job.

Old 06-08-2012, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
That is DUMB! I can almost understand China not wanting dark skin people not teaching English but banning other Asians? Most Chinese people ain't exactly light skin so who are they to talk? Sheesh!
Basically you are saying that you think China should WANT people who are of color teaching over there.

Old 06-10-2012, 03:06 PM

6,897 posts, read 4,753,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
There is nothing that Black Americans have done that compares with the history of how White Americans have treated Chinese people.

From 1882 to 1943 the United States Government basically denied ANY Chinese person living in the United States citizenship until it was repealed. The reason? They were Chinese, that's all. The term "racially ineligible for citizenship" was used to describe all Asian people living in America.

Chinese Exclusion Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Rock Springs massacre - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Attack on Squak Valley Chinese laborers, 1885 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Anti-Chinese USA—Racism & Discrimination from the Onset
Almost all ethnicity and races have suffered at the hands of other ethnicities and races. The Irish suffered miserably at the hands of the English for a 1000 years and during the potato famine of the mid 1800's the English preferred to export wheat rather than feed the Irish and prevent massive starvation. I know blacks like to blow smoke about how they were treated worse than any one group in the world during slavery, but in reality, the period of time blacks were oppressed was one of the shortest periods of time in history any people were oppressed. And there is still oppression and slavery in Africa today.

Old 06-10-2012, 05:26 PM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
One or two my ass, the behavior is a majority. One out of ten behaving properly doesn't get it, sorry.
You really believe the majority of Blacks behave criminally or commit crimes? In 2010, there were 10,329,135 crimes committed. 1,246,248 violent crimes, and of the violent crimes, here is the breakdown:

14,748 homicides, 84,767 rapes, 367,832 robberies, 778,901 aggravated assaults.

United States Crime Rates 1960 - 2010

Consider that there are about 40 million Blacks in the USA. Even bearing in mind of which percentage of these crimes are committed by Blacks, there are other things to consider to, such as multiple crimes committed by the same person. If there are 40 million Blacks in the USA, and about 10 million crimes committed in the USA, even if half of those crimes are committed by Blacks, that still leaves about 5 million Blacks who committed crimes. What does this mean? Such behavior is not the majority among Blacks.

As for myself, this is a sketch of me. I am a Black male, who is NOT a criminal. I don't go attacking people. I would never do those things. I'm currently 51 days from graduating from college. I've never been arrested or been in any trouble with the law. I stay away from criminals and criminal behavior. I've been a victim of it multiple times ranging from getting shot with a paintball gun to getting mugged on my way home, to my bicycle being stolen multiple times. Given my individual traits, it is for certain that I'm not a criminal. Even further, I am trying to better myself. I am also trying to live my life as an individual, to be seen as an individual. Given what I have told you, I have a few questions to ask. How does it help me, as an individual, to be stereotyped and for decisions to be made based on those stereotypes, especially if those stereotypes are bad stereotypes? What exactly I get out of it?. I've asked a few times before and for some reason, the question gets dodged. I hope that you will answer, as this is an important question for me.

Old 06-11-2012, 03:58 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,753,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
You really believe the majority of Blacks behave criminally or commit crimes? In 2010, there were 10,329,135 crimes committed. 1,246,248 violent crimes, and of the violent crimes, here is the breakdown:

14,748 homicides, 84,767 rapes, 367,832 robberies, 778,901 aggravated assaults.

United States Crime Rates 1960 - 2010

Consider that there are about 40 million Blacks in the USA. Even bearing in mind of which percentage of these crimes are committed by Blacks, there are other things to consider to, such as multiple crimes committed by the same person. If there are 40 million Blacks in the USA, and about 10 million crimes committed in the USA, even if half of those crimes are committed by Blacks, that still leaves about 5 million Blacks who committed crimes. What does this mean? Such behavior is not the majority among Blacks.

As for myself, this is a sketch of me. I am a Black male, who is NOT a criminal. I don't go attacking people. I would never do those things. I'm currently 51 days from graduating from college. I've never been arrested or been in any trouble with the law. I stay away from criminals and criminal behavior. I've been a victim of it multiple times ranging from getting shot with a paintball gun to getting mugged on my way home, to my bicycle being stolen multiple times. Given my individual traits, it is for certain that I'm not a criminal. Even further, I am trying to better myself. I am also trying to live my life as an individual, to be seen as an individual. Given what I have told you, I have a few questions to ask. How does it help me, as an individual, to be stereotyped and for decisions to be made based on those stereotypes, especially if those stereotypes are bad stereotypes? What exactly I get out of it?. I've asked a few times before and for some reason, the question gets dodged. I hope that you will answer, as this is an important question for me.
I apologize, I guess the area I live in is loaded with ghetto style blacks and their behavior is uncivilized, screaming, yelling, foul language and playing rap music so loud you can barley hear, to me, this behavior is unacceptable in a public venue. It seems to be a majority in my area. As for your question, It does not help you at all to be stereotyped, but I dont know if the behavior I described above is the majority, but their seems to be an awful lot of it. Maybe if the black community would work as a whole to end this type of behavior, it would go a long way to ending the stereotypes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies