Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2012, 04:13 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,274,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Consumers are to satisfy the demand that has someone start a business? Or, are you THAT clueless?
How many people have you hired and paid with your demand as a customer? I can't understand how your people think like you say you do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2012, 04:14 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,202,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
So you used your money to start up a company good for you. You can not start a company with out investment
Again bull, all it took was my skill, No money. You are looking at business from top down, most businesses are started bottom up.

Old 05-21-2012, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
How many people have you hired and paid with your demand as a customer? I can't understand how your people think like you say you do.
How many hires does a business person make when they have zero sales over a long period of time? It takes customers walking thru the door to create new jobs.

Old 05-21-2012, 04:24 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,813,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Consumers are to satisfy the demand that has someone start a business? Or, are you THAT clueless?
As a consumer who is consuming one automobile you most likely can't even pay for it in full and have to borrow money from the rich.
So who's created those jobs that produced that automobile you as a consumer has demanded?

Old 05-21-2012, 04:37 PM

12,481 posts, read 10,224,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
Again bull, all it took was my skill, No money. You are looking at business from top down, most businesses are started bottom up.
SO you started a business with no inventory and no product

Old 05-21-2012, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
SO you started a business with no inventory and no product
Not listening? yes, my product was my skill. I was a carpenter, kitchen installer, builder, and general contractor. I have filed as a sole proprietor since 1972. I am now retired but have a passive 9 acre farm.

Never borrowed, always spent less than I made. FYI, the first million was a b*tch but each one after was easier.

Old 05-21-2012, 06:52 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,468,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
Not listening? yes, my product was my skill. I was a carpenter, kitchen installer, builder, and general contractor. I have filed as a sole proprietor since 1972. I am now retired but have a passive 9 acre farm.

Never borrowed, always spent less than I made. FYI, the first million was a b*tch but each one after was easier.
And you most certainly always required at least some capital upfront before you would start a job. When you weren't busy you might make some furniture or something to stay busy and possibly bring in some income. No one in housing during a slow time just sits on their behind, they try to drum up business or build things on the side to see if they can sell them.

I think you're being disingenuous by claiming the only time you did anything was when someone wanted something.

Old 05-21-2012, 06:54 PM

3,614 posts, read 3,503,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
And you most certainly always required at least some capital upfront before you would start a job. When you weren't busy you might make some furniture or something to stay busy and possibly bring in some income. No one in housing during a slow time just sits on their behind, they try to drum up business or build things on the side to see if they can sell them.

I think you're being disingenuous by claiming the only time you did anything was when someone wanted something.
Capital comes from consumers. Did nobody watch the TED talk? Should be mandatory reading around here...

Old 05-21-2012, 06:58 PM

37,972 posts, read 22,157,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
This is the slide presentation that the current TED conference deemed "too politically controversial".

The slides show the inverse relationship between the tax rate for the top 1% and the unemployment rate.

Anyone who's ever run a business knows that hiring more people is a capitalists course of last resort, something we do only when increasing customer demand requires it. In this sense, calling ourselves job creators isn't just inaccurate, it's disingenuous.

That's why our current policies are so upside down. When you have a tax system in which most of the exemptions and the lowest rates benefit the richest, all in the name of job creation, all that happens is that the rich get richer.

Since 1980 the share of income for the richest Americans has more than tripled while effective tax rates have declined by close to 50%.

If it were true that lower tax rates and more wealth for the wealthy would lead to more job creation, then today we would be drowning in jobs. And yet unemployment and under-employment is at record highs.

The Inequality Speech That TED Won't Show You - Restoration Roundtable

And here are the slides:

Nick Hanauer TED Presentation About Why Rich People Aren't Job Creators - Business Insider
If you own a business, and create some product or service that people need, want and desire, and you need to hire people to help you, then you are a job creator. If you are very good at what you provide, and so many people buy your product or service, that you need to hire more people to meet your customer's demands, then aren't you an even bigger job creator?

BTW, what does the 1% or tax rates have to do with creating jobs? Unless it is to say that tax laws and regulations get in the way of job creation.

Old 05-21-2012, 06:58 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,468,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konraden View Post
Capital comes from consumers. Did nobody watch the TED talk? Should be mandatory reading around here...
Not in the industry he is maiming to be in. It's pretty standard to require 50% or so up front for jobs depending on their size. If required, the other money the GC and/or contractor will put forward.

Just like how capital came from investors for R&D for something like the supercomputer.

Surely you don't think a manufacturing line with something like million dollar Fuji machines for PCBs comes from the customer before they ever get a product?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies