Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 08:29 AM

6,721 posts, read 5,200,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
wonders what percent make within a buck of minimum wage. Many places say they pay over minimum and then pay $7.50 an hour.

FWIW $10 is too high. As someone who believes in balance and I do believe in a minimum wage, I also believe it is only slighly too low. To me minimum wage is a tool to keep the soulless from completely ******* the lower class. I remember a while back reading here someone who didnt want yard work done because min wage was too much. That person also talked about his car collection on a different board.
Probably another 10% are within a dollar or two of the minimum wage.

There are over 2 million working as wait staff that earn much less that minimum wage before tips. Then you have the fast food industry and the drones working in the retail field.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2012, 08:39 AM

33,527 posts, read 37,128,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Good work Illinois. Your state is already on the path of fiscal destruction rivaling California. I guess now more kids won't be able to find jobs if this goes through so they'll have more time to run wild shooting each other in Chicago.

IL Senate committee votes to send minimum-wage hike to the floor*|*Illinois Statehouse News
Are you nuts? Minimum wage here is $10.25 and most employers pay pay more and it's not just kids that are paid that ...I challenge you to live on that.....There is no exodus....

Old 05-17-2012, 10:44 AM

6,721 posts, read 5,200,555 times
I believe you are wrong with the premise that raising the minimum wage hurts the working poor. Read it long ago, but I think the aggregate of studies say while a small percentage of worker lose their jobs when the minimum wage goes up the vast majority of the minimum wage workers benefit.

If you're exploiting minimum wage workers to make your fortune and you cannot find the resources to pay a modest increase there is something seriously wrong with you business model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
I have always figured that the minimum wage was much like gun control, a classic distraction ploy. I always wondered why Rod Blago was so big on gun control. As a US House member, he pushed hard for a ban of .50 cal rifles, which are virtually never used by criminals. Too big, too heavy, and too expensive. Then after Blago's indictment came, it occurred to me--it was just a distraction ploy. Don't look here--no look over there, at that .50 cal rifle.

Same with the minimum wage. Anyone who has taken econ 101 and gotten at least a 'B' knows that the minimum wage tends to hurt those it's intended to help. The higher the minimum, the more the hurt. If these politicians really wanted to help low-wage workers it would be a subsidized minimum wage (similar to subsidized farm price supports) or Milton Friedman's negative income tax...something along those lines. Now that would actually help low-wage workers, not hurt them. But Democrats never take that option do they? They go for the option that actually hurts. Hmmm.

Bill Clinton played it like a violin. Every time he got in trouble he would trot out a minimum wage hike proposal like clockwork.

Old 05-17-2012, 11:14 AM

3,204 posts, read 2,867,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
Why do people who don't live in Illinois care what their wages are? I could not give a rats behind what the wagers in a crap hole like Kansas or Alabama

I'm not suprised. Libs always pretend to care about people.

Every time minimum wages go up the inflation follows or goes in to affect before the law kicks in. Consumers pay the price, so it is pointless.

Old 05-17-2012, 11:21 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,185,642 times
Quote:
"Lathan Cole, 29, of Springfield, said he has a bachelor’s degree in psychology and worked with disabled people at a nonprofit, until he was laid off two years ago during the state’s budget crisis. He now works in a diner for $8.25 an hour.

“I can’t pay my car payment, so my grandfather helps me with that. Sometimes I have to ask my grandmother for gas money,†he said. “I can’t afford to go out to eat. That’s a leisure thing, and that’s not my qualm. It’s that I can’t even meet my bare minimum. It’s really hard.â€

Looks like an obamabot living off the taxpayer teet just like his orator did now waiting tables with a wasted degree. See what hope and change does for folks.
Where did he say anything about Obama?

I mean, it's you righties that make these claims that without entitlement programs, people would have to turn to families, and that it's the job of families to support each other financially in bad times.

Well, he turned to his family....which in your eyes, makes him an Obamabot and a leech.

But the truth is this: You assume that he's black (even though i saw no photo), so THAT makes him an Obamabot and a leech.

So transparent.

Old 05-17-2012, 11:24 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,185,642 times
Quote:
I don't think you'll find many "low income earners" on this board.
Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah aha!

That's MOSTLY what you find on this board! The big money types aint coming around here...i hate to tell ya.

Ok...maybe "mostly" is a stretch, but a huge ass amount. At least half.

Old 05-17-2012, 12:43 PM

29,407 posts, read 21,999,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Most people don't understand the situation the working class is in right now. As you can see, your not going to get much sympathy from some posters around here.

Here's a number for you though. If you drive to work and are making that $10 an hour, a whopping 1/3 of your income is going towards gas.

That's where we're at right now as a country.
Most didn't start out making 100K a year. The people you claim don't understand have all been there before and didn't whine and cry and expect things handed to them they went out and worked for it. You can't afford a car walk. Can't afford internet, cell phone, cable, etc. you go without until you can. It's pretty simple concept unless you have the entitlement mentality where you look around and think since others have something you deserve it too.

Old 05-17-2012, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeNomad View Post
What do the expect people to do live off of 8$ an hour? its extremely hard to do. I don't know how to change this but something does need done to make sure people can make more money when they are working. Its not right to force people to live off of minimum wage jobs. Maybe stop companies from going overseas I dunno.
I know how you can change it. Get a job that pays more. Also as I pointed out previously 50% of min wage earners work in the hospitality industry so they actually make more than the min wage. If your making the min wage and your not a high school kid your not trying.

Old 05-17-2012, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Are you nuts? Minimum wage here is $10.25 and most employers pay pay more and it's not just kids that are paid that ...I challenge you to live on that.....There is no exodus....
Why would I accept such a ridiculous challenge? I didn't come out of college making piles of money. I didn't cry and whine and go buy a new car or a cell phone plan at a hundred bucks a month or expect everybody to pay my bills for me.

Min wage jobs are not for folks who have families. If your in that situation it's your own fault. Go get two jobs if need be and all you are qualified for is min wage positions. Why is this such a hard concept to grasp?

Old 05-17-2012, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
Imteresting, that 5% that earn minimum edge or less. Any idea how many more are earning just a bit more that minimum wage? Seeing 1 in 6 live in poverty I suspect the percentage of low wage workers below, at and ABOVE the minimum wage is three or four times that 5.2%. Fully 50% of Americans can be characterized as "Clerical, pink-and blue-collar workers with often low job security; common household incomes range from $16,000 to $30,000. High school education."

Household income in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So, no, there probably are a lot of posters at or near the minimum wage level.
Probably. Nice data you have there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies