Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 03:59 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,682,796 times

Advertisements

TED decided to leak this. There is no job growth without consumer confidence.

Nick Hanauer - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2012, 04:02 PM

2,472 posts, read 3,198,960 times
Human: I need water to stay alive.

Anyone with a modicum of intelligence should know this, but I'm glad people are getting the information out there.

Old 05-17-2012, 04:11 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,572,795 times
Right, without capital investment, you can only consume air and create fart.

Rich people don't create jobs? They of course do because they are one HUGE group of consumers themselves who consume far more than any other people.

Ultimately of course, entrepreneurs create jobs. They do that through invention, creativity and improved efficiency coupled with ... rich people's money. You can't create jobs without capital.

Please don't tell me that the welfare recipients are the job creators.

Old 05-17-2012, 04:15 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,682,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Right, without capital investment, you can only consume air and create fart.

Rich people don't create jobs? They of course do because they are one HUGE group of consumers themselves who consume far more than any other people.

Ultimately of course, entrepreneurs create jobs. They do that through invention, creativity and improved efficiency coupled with ... rich people's money. You can't create jobs without capital.

Please don't tell me that the welfare recipients are the job creators.
Yeah, just how businesses don't make profits from consumers.

Old 05-17-2012, 04:25 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,115,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganusn View Post

Anyone with a modicum of intelligence should know this, but I'm glad people are getting the information out there.
Nice try, but everyone knows storing water in reservoirs is what makes people thirsty enough to drink it.

Old 05-17-2012, 09:39 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,177,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
TED decided to leak this. There is no job growth without consumer confidence.
You and the idiots at TED have conflated job growth with job creation.

They are not necessarily the same thing.

Consumer demand spurs job growth. That is simply expansion. It is possible that if consumer demand is high enough, it can result in new entrants into that particular market, and that will create jobs. However, the grotesque over-regulation stifles job creation by new entrants to the market.

Where job creation is concerned, you and TED have put the cart before the horse.

How many consumers were buying MP3 Players, before MP3 Players existed?

Obviously none, yet there was a demand for them, based on market research.

So, I need $6 Million to set up and run manufacturing, production and distribution operations for 4-6 years until I am getting a sufficient return on profits to be self-sustaining.

Where do I get that $6 Million?

The government? Nope.

Banks? Nope.

The Money Fairy? Nope.

It falls out of the sky? Nope.

Jesus comes down from Heaven and writes me a check? Nope.

Consumers? Of what? Consumers cannot buy MP3 Players, because I've not yet gotten $6 Million to make and sell them to consumers.

Where does that $6 Million come from? Venture Capitalists.

Or maybe just garden-variety investors. Maybe I shop my business plan around out of frustration and desperation and via networking, I run into a gal who tells me she likes my idea and she'll pony up $500,000 but I still need $5.5 Million.

But she knows people. She knows a couple guys who might be interested.

And 5 or 6 months later, I've got about a dozen investors willing to give me anywhere from $250,000 to $1.5 Million to get started.

What have I gotten thus far from the government, banks and consumers, and idiots like TED?

The sum total of $0

See how that works?

Apparently not.

Now suppose I run the company for 4 years and I woefully under-estimated demand and I need $2 Million to expand. Where do I get that money?

Consumers? Nope.

The government? Nope.

Banks? Possibly. I show them my business plan, plus my financials for the last 4 years, and they say, okay, we'll loan you $1 Million.

That's cool, but I still need another $1 Million. Again, it will be investors, ie the "rich" who help me out here.

I suppose TED has some ulterior motive, like he wants you to buy gold (snicker).

Venturing...

Mircea

Old 05-17-2012, 09:43 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,207,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
You and the idiots at TED have conflated job growth with job creation.

They are not necessarily the same thing.

Consumer demand spurs job growth. That is simply expansion. It is possible that if consumer demand is high enough, it can result in new entrants into that particular market, and that will create jobs. However, the grotesque over-regulation stifles job creation by new entrants to the market.

Where job creation is concerned, you and TED have put the cart before the horse.

How many consumers were buying MP3 Players, before MP3 Players existed?

Obviously none, yet there was a demand for them, based on market research.

So, I need $6 Million to set up and run manufacturing, production and distribution operations for 4-6 years until I am getting a sufficient return on profits to be self-sustaining.

Where do I get that $6 Million?

The government? Nope.

Banks? Nope.

The Money Fairy? Nope.

It falls out of the sky? Nope.

Jesus comes down from Heaven and writes me a check? Nope.

Consumers? Of what? Consumers cannot buy MP3 Players, because I've not yet gotten $6 Million to make and sell them to consumers.

Where does that $6 Million come from? Venture Capitalists.

Or maybe just garden-variety investors. Maybe I shop my business plan around out of frustration and desperation and via networking, I run into a gal who tells me she likes my idea and she'll pony up $500,000 but I still need $5.5 Million.

But she knows people. She knows a couple guys who might be interested.

And 5 or 6 months later, I've got about a dozen investors willing to give me anywhere from $250,000 to $1.5 Million to get started.

What have I gotten thus far from the government, banks and consumers, and idiots like TED?

The sum total of $0

See how that works?

Apparently not.

Now suppose I run the company for 4 years and I woefully under-estimated demand and I need $2 Million to expand. Where do I get that money?

Consumers? Nope.

The government? Nope.

Banks? Possibly. I show them my business plan, plus my financials for the last 4 years, and they say, okay, we'll loan you $1 Million.

That's cool, but I still need another $1 Million. Again, it will be investors, ie the "rich" who help me out here.

I suppose TED has some ulterior motive, like he wants you to buy gold (snicker).

Venturing...

Mircea
And at the end of the day, if consumers don't have the disposable income to buy MP3 players, all the research and investment amounts for squat, because you aren't going to have any sales to pay back the venture capitalists. It still all goes back to the consumer. That's the part you seem to struggle with. It isn't enough to have a cool product--you have to have people with the resources to buy it.

Old 05-17-2012, 09:46 PM

8,091 posts, read 5,913,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganusn View Post

Great premise but humans, errrr Americans, are SO far removed from the concept of sustenance.....

Go to NYC and take a yuppies iPad and iPhone away from him and see how long before he starts to itch.

Old 05-17-2012, 10:50 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,765,700 times
My take is that the rich like money so they can invest it and make more money. It is like a big video game. They consume, but their income/assets so far exceed daily needs, the excess goes right back into the market.

The rest of us want money, so we can spend it, now. We want houses, cars, food, vacations,gadgets, etc. And there are a lot of us. We will always fuel domestic demand.

Old 05-17-2012, 11:16 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,014,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
And at the end of the day, if consumers don't have the disposable income to buy MP3 players, all the research and investment amounts for squat, because you aren't going to have any sales to pay back the venture capitalists. It still all goes back to the consumer. That's the part you seem to struggle with. It isn't enough to have a cool product--you have to have people with the resources to buy it.
Do you live in a hut in the congo? This is the US. Disposable income is everywhere. Kids were buying these stupid necklaces for fifty bucks to look cool. A swoosh on a pair of shorts makes em sell for fifty bucks instead of ten. If I have to provide more examples then you are farther lost than anyone I've ever seen post on this board.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies