Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2012, 01:36 PM

2,112 posts, read 2,596,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
The same reason foreigners out perform Americans
I would say many, and coming from an English speaking country helps a lot. This where assimilating and learning English helps.

Old 05-26-2012, 01:42 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,977,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reconmark View Post
I would suggest that you learn quite a bit more about this country's racial history and in particular it's relationship to African Americans.

You seem to suggest that racism no longer exists and/or has no negative influence on African Americans, if you are truely this misinformed, it's impossible to have a coherent conversation on this subject with you.
I know good an well that racism does exist in America...but so does sexism. Yet, you don't see to many girls dropping out of High School and having children out of wedlock while blaming sexism for their lot in life.

I am half black, grew up around blacks, and then moved away and met Nigerians, Ghanians, and Ethiopians...they have a completely different mentality than the average "Tyrone" or "Lashonda".

Quote:
The societal view of Africans and African Americans is like comparing Apples and Oranges, to suggest that the perception or treatment of these people are the same as the treatment or perceptions of African Americans is again qiute an uninformed view.

You have GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!

Majority of Americans, when they hear the word "Africa," think people with bones sticking out of their noses and genocide and Hotel Rwanda and cannibals and Kony AIDS and a hundred thousand other stereotypes. Yet, African immigrants just take it in strive and go OUT OF THEIR WAY to be even more educated, hardworking and civilized.

I know people often assume I am a thug because I have brown skin. However, unlike most American blacks I go out of my way to be the opposite of the stereotype (I wear business casual clothing if not at work yet still in the city, I speak almost "too proper" English, try to be as polite as possible etc)

Black Americans? They go to a job interview and will say "oh, wat, ya tink I'm a dumb thug or somethin' just cause I'm black? Word is bond, I'm bout to beat your ***** now B---tch! Talkin' that racist trash 'bout me being a thug just cause I'm black"...

They seem to want to reinforce every negative stereotype, and not go out everyday seeking to challenge them.

Old 05-26-2012, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Three peas in deteriorating pod, how appropriate.
Like so many American blacks, I have a feeling that, if they have children, they will name them "Rashonda," "Darius" and some other ghetto trash name...then, when they don't get called for an interview, blame it on "racism"

Oh yes, indeed, there is a law on the books saying every black American HAS TO NAME THEIR CHILD SOMETHING RIDICULOUS! Give me a break!

I once met a mixed girl who was made fun of by black people all the time for her name growing up. She got older and still, she heard black people wondering why this black girl had a "white" name. And what oh what was her "lily white-girl name?"

HARRIET TUBMAN (followed by last name) Yep, that has "parents hated their black heritage" written all over it.

And they wonder why society doesn't respect them.

Want to give your kid a black name? Why not Nelson (Mandela), Frederick (Douglass), Alexander (Dumas) Rosa (Parks) Josephine (Baker) etc...I mean really, how many "Jamals" and "Lashondas" have made history?

Old 05-26-2012, 01:58 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,886,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
EXACTLY!

So, it isn't DNA as some idiot Nazi would claim, and it isn't racism...so what answer is left? CULTURE.

Modern black American culture is disgusting and should be changed for the benefit of American blacks. Problem is, black Americans are the only group who cling to their social problems as a part of their identity, and getting away from them is seen as being inauthentic.

Thomas Sowell:

Quote:
Back in 1899, when the schools of Washington, D.C. were racially segregated and discrimination was rampant, there were four academic high schools in the city-- three white and one black. When standardized tests were given that year, the black academic high school scored higher than two of the three white academic high schools.[SIZE=-2]6[/SIZE] Today, exactly a century later, even setting such a goal would be considered hopelessly utopian. Nor was this a fluke. That same high school was scoring at or above the national average on IQ tests during the 1930s and 1940s.[SIZE=-2]7[/SIZE] Yet its physical plant was inadequate and its average class size was higher than that in the city's white high school.

Today, that same school has a much better physical plant and per-pupil expenditures in the District of Columbia are among the highest in the nation. But the students' test scores are among the lowest. Nor was this school unique in having had higher academic achievements during a period when it seemingly lacked the prerequisites of achievement and yet fell far behind in a later period when these supposed prerequisites were more plentiful.
It is not DNA, it is not present day racism. It is culture.

Old 05-26-2012, 02:02 PM

723 posts, read 2,193,484 times
Quote:
I know people often assume I am a thug because I have brown skin. However, unlike most American blacks I go out of my way to be the opposite of the stereotype (I wear business casual clothing if not at work yet still in the city, I speak almost "too proper" English, try to be as polite as possible etc)

Black Americans? They go to a job interview and will say "oh, wat, ya tink I'm a dumb thug or somethin' just cause I'm black? Word is bond, I'm bout to beat your ***** now B---tch! Talkin' that racist trash 'bout me being a thug just cause I'm black"...

They seem to want to reinforce every negative stereotype, and not go out everyday seeking to challenge them.
Wow. This is pitiful.

The very people you despise are not the ones holding you down my friend. Think about who is in power. Think about you who you are trying to impress/appease with these mannerisms. You can dress in fancy suites, drive a 2013 Jaguar and speak with perfect diction.

GUESS WHAT. You'll still be followed around in a department store. Hate black america all you want. If everyone in these here United States treated everyone based on Merit, you wouldn't have to go out of your way to impress. You're going out of your way to be a shining example of the next generation mulatto™, a magical negro if you will. Your efforts are being thoroughly wasted. If you want to change the influences the influences of those in your circle, do so, but if you think you're going to change a world that's set in it's ways, longing to differentiate "us" from "them", you've got a long road ahead of you.

What Would You Do? Parents Disapprove Interrcial union(Full Episode) - YouTube

Old 05-26-2012, 02:03 PM

Quote:
More slave talk, what is with you guys and white folks? It's like an obsession.
I grew up in a black ghetto and I know when I say this, even though they will never admit it: if racism vanished tomorrow, so many American blacks would be devastated. They WANT racism to be their.

If it wasn't for "the white man" being there for them to point their fingers at, blacks would have to go to the only place left to see the source of their problems...THE NEAREST MIRROR!

They need to stop the damn scapegoating and put down the drugs, malt liquor and gangsta rap CDs and learn how to use a condom and speak proper English. No white man is stopping them from visiting a library and studying hard, no white man is stopping them from working hard, playing by the rules and saving their money.

I am not in the best place in life, and guess who I blame? MYSELF! I will work hard and better myself and go back to school...but that's "acting white" and the true, "down for life thug" responds is to sell drugs somewhere and blame the white man for the crimes I commit.

Old 05-26-2012, 02:07 PM

73,006 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
EXACTLY!

Africans are of the same genetic stock as black Americans, especially Nigerians who are from the same place that most black slave originated from. They are black too, so they face the same discrimination...and yet they excel where American born blacks lag.

So, it isn't DNA as some idiot Nazi would claim, and it isn't racism...so what answer is left? CULTURE.

Modern black American culture is disgusting and should be changed for the benefit of American blacks. Problem is, black Americans are the only group who cling to their social problems as a part of their identity, and getting away from them is seen as being inauthentic.
However, before anything can be done to change this culture, one has to know where this culture came from. Where did it originate? How did it originate? Why don't Africans have this culture? If you ask questions, you can come up with solutions to combat this problem.

Old 05-26-2012, 02:08 PM

Quote:
It's called having cultural pride something you evidently lost on your way to Brooklyn.

Rep worthy if ever there was one!

Old 05-26-2012, 02:10 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,416,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Thomas Sowell:

It is not DNA, it is not present day racism. It is culture.
Sowell is referring to the famed Dunbar High School in DC, it routinely outperformed the white schools in DC. An important alum recently died.

Wesley A. Brown, first black Naval Academy graduate, dies at 85 - The Washington Post

Cmdr. Brown, a Dunbar High School graduate who grew up in a rowhouse on Q
Quote:
Street near Logan Circle, served 20 years in the Navy as a civil engineer. He helped design a water treatment facility in Cuba, roads across Liberia, an air station in the Philippines and a nuclear plant in Antarctica.

His lasting mark was his determination to be the first black graduate of the Naval Academy in Annapolis since its founding in 1845. Five other black midshipmen had come before him; none had graduated. Most were forced to resign from the academy because of a hostile racial climate.
Now Dunbar HS is so bad the DCPS had to issue rape warnings.

Colbert I. King - Dunbar High School's sad descent into hard times

The decline of the African American community can by studied just by studying the decline of this school.

Old 05-26-2012, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
I have often wondered why, if blacks feel there is still racism in the US, do they saddle their children with names that readily identify their race to prospecive employers on their resumes? At least if they get as far as an interview, it would be easier to make the determination that they were denied a job due to discrimination rather than just have their resume trashed.
Nice to see somebody else notices!

Quote:
Pride is one reason, but doesn't pride sometimes cause problems? Maybe the parents have hope that things in the future will change, and there will be no racism. Good luck with that.
Pride? Why not name your kids Nat (Turner, King Cole) or Malcolm or Shirley (Chisholm, first black woman elected to congress)

There is little to be proud if in the generation of Jamals, Tyrones and Ladashas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies