Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2012, 01:54 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,411,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric Blue View Post
I will never forget seeing able bodied men just sitting around post-Katrina while volunteers from around the US came to pitch in. That would only happen in NOLA.
LOL they stood around and the Hispanics came in and took the rebuilding jobs then whined they have no jobs.

It's never ending with a certain segment of the population.

Quote:
On radio station WBOK, program director Gerod Stevens fields calls daily from black listeners angry because they feel Latinos have depressed their wages and snatched up their jobs. They are frustrated that the Lower Ninth Ward has yet to be rebuilt like neighborhoods populated by wealthier white residents.
Five years after Katrina, New Orleans sees higher percentage of Hispanics
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2012, 02:03 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,523,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joebaldknobber View Post
Galveston was destroyed in 1900, and never recovered.
Hurricane Ike did a number on it too. The entire island was flooded to depths of over 10 feet in some places. Only a very few square blocks just behind the middle of the sea wall were left dry.

I was there the day after they opened the road and spent the next 8 days mucking out flooded homes and I can tell you in all honesty that it was as bad as New Orleans after Katrina, and I was there too. Many houses had water in the second floor.

But, since it was just a "temporary" flood caused by storm surge, some here seem to think that makes it different from New Orleans. It isn't. Flood damage is flood damage and it doesn't take much water in your house to ruin your life. By some people's reckoning here, we oughta also abandon Des Moines, IA and Minot, ND because levees hold back the rivers in those cities. And, they flooded. I worked those disasters too and can show you neighborhoods in both cities were the water went over the roof tops and stayed there for a long time.

Yet, only New Orleans is singled out for condemnation. I wonder why? Could it be that New Orleans is perceived as a community of lazy, welfare-sucking black people?

Naw...that couldn't be it.

Old 05-26-2012, 02:09 PM

14,012 posts, read 14,998,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Hurricane Ike did a number on it too. The entire island was flooded to depths of over 10 feet in some places. Only a very few square blocks just behind the middle of the sea wall were left dry.

I was there the day after they opened the road and spent the next 8 days mucking out flooded homes and I can tell you in all honesty that it was as bad as New Orleans after Katrina, and I was there too. Many houses had water in the second floor.

But, since it was just a "temporary" flood caused by storm surge, some here seem to think that makes it different from New Orleans. It isn't. Flood damage is flood damage and it doesn't take much water in your house to ruin your life. By some people's reckoning here, we oughta also abandon Des Moines, IA and Minot, ND because levees hold back the rivers in those cities. And, they flooded. I worked those disasters too and can show you neighborhoods in both cities were the water went over the roof tops and stayed there for a long time.

Yet, only New Orleans is singled out for condemnation. I wonder why? Could it be that New Orleans is perceived as a community of lazy, welfare-sucking black people?

Naw...that couldn't be it.
No, because its 8-10ft Below the ocean, and 12-14 feet below the river, in normal conditions, while Minot, and Des Moines are several feet above the average river levels of their rivers.

Old 05-26-2012, 02:36 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,523,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
No, because its 8-10ft Below the ocean, and 12-14 feet below the river, in normal conditions, while Minot, and Des Moines are several feet above the average river levels of their rivers.
They still have to have levees. So does Sacramento and a good bit of the Sacramento River Valley from there to the Bay Area. In fact, without permanent levee's, you'd have to abandon huge swaths of Missouri, Illinois, Kentucky, Tennessee, Arkansas, Mississippi and Louisiana. The Mississippi levee system from Cairo, IL to the Gulf of Mexico holds back the river and not just every now and then either. Just about every year. In fact, floods along those rivers are more predictable and more common than flooding in New Orleans, yet only New Orleans should be abandoned?

Does it make a difference if the flood waters spill into a below sea-level hole or inundates areas just a few inches or feet higher than the river? Why? Which is "worse" and why?

Old 05-26-2012, 02:53 PM

11 posts, read 9,807 times
just so we are clear, we are comparing a hurricane that had a city under water to a small town that had tornados come through it?

Old 05-26-2012, 02:53 PM

14,012 posts, read 14,998,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
They still have to have levees. So does Sacramento and a good bit of the Sacramento River Valley from there to the Bay Area. In fact, without permanent levee's, you'd have to abandon huge swaths of Missouri, Illinois, Kentucky, Tennessee, Arkansas, Mississippi and Louisiana. The Mississippi levee system from Cairo, IL to the Gulf of Mexico holds back the river and not just every now and then either. Just about every year. In fact, floods along those rivers are more predictable and more common than flooding in New Orleans, yet only New Orleans should be abandoned?

Does it make a difference if the flood waters spill into a below sea-level hole or inundates areas just a few inches or feet higher than the river? Why? Which is "worse" and why?
One drains naturally, and one you have to pump out.
For the Record, I think Abandoning New Orleans is dumb.

Old 05-26-2012, 03:31 PM

3,201 posts, read 3,856,510 times
New Orleans has never had the problem of having the Puritanical Views and Work Ethic most of America finds a positive trait.

Old 05-26-2012, 07:07 PM

1,182 posts, read 1,139,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joebaldknobber View Post
New Orleans has never had the problem of having the Puritanical Views and Work Ethic most of America finds a positive trait.
I have never been there. Looks like a fun place to visit though.

Old 05-26-2012, 09:48 PM

1,350 posts, read 2,299,668 times
More mouthbreathing from people in this forum who don't have a clue.

Much of New Orleans has been rebuilt by private business and homeowners.
Harrison Ave. in Lakeview once deveistated by floodwaters is booming...
The property values Uptown are bursting at the seams.

Unemployment here is very low when compared with MOST of the United States.
Gamespot an international development house for gaming has opened here, The Receivables Exchange one of the most successful startups of the last 5 years in the nation is headquartered here. New Orleans won a bid to open a new technology center with 300 new white collar jobs from General Electric.

Joel Kotkin named New Orleans as one of the best locales to find a job, as did Forbes magazine.

A new bio-medical corridor is being built now...

(Oh, and SHAME on other Americans who would turn their backs on their own citizens and their own city. You disgust me)

There is a lot to be irritated by in New Orleans like anywhere...but this city has more going for it than many during this recession.

Last edited by Prytania; 05-26-2012 at 10:07 PM..

Old 05-26-2012, 10:36 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,183,550 times
Damn...comparing a podunk like Joplin with New Orleans? LMAO....you can't make this stuff up.

Joplin, even under the greatest conditions is a joke. It's a NOTHING town. It was a nothing town before. It'll be a nothing town when it's all repaired. Ever seen downtown Joplin before the storm? Nothing but boarded up stores and old buildings.....all gone in favor of those big box stores and chain restaurants over on 32nd street.

One street in New Orleans is better than the whole of Joplin. Please.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies