Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2015, 10:22 AM

269 posts, read 178,470 times

Advertisements

Everyone had it hard back in the bad old days but for different reasons.

Now days both women and men have it hard for different reasons as well. In western society women clearly get special treatment and more opportunities than men; however, women are also statistically less happy than men now days too. While the everybody is equal thing sounds like a great idea to some lady cleaning house and raising kids all day, the truth is that a good majority of women can't handle a high stress full time job without breaking. I've heard my mom talk about this. She thinks that the reason so many women are nuts now days compared to when she was a young woman in the 1950's is a direct result of women entering the work force. She said you could really start to see it in the 1980's when a lot of women started entering more high stress jobs that were mostly done by men in the past.

Bottom line is that while it may seem unfair that women are generally treated better by society, they were actually more happy before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2015, 10:24 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talkinhead View Post

Now days both women and men have it hard for different reasons as well. In western society women clearly get special treatment and more opportunities than men; however, women are also statistically less happy than men now days too. While the everybody is equal thing sounds like a great idea to some lady cleaning house and raising kids all day, the truth is that a good majority of women can't handle a high stress full time job without breaking. I've heard my mom talk about this. She thinks that the reason so many women are nuts now days compared to when she was a young woman in the 1950's is a direct result of women entering the work force. She said you could really start to see it in the 1980's when a lot of women started entering more high stress jobs that were mostly done by men in the past.

Bottom line is that while it may seem unfair that women are generally treated better by society, they were actually more happy before.
That's nonsense. Women are just as capable of handling high-stress full-time jobs as men.

Old 10-23-2015, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
That's nonsense. Women are just as capable of handling high-stress full-time jobs as men.
Think of every job you have ever had, and tell me with a straight face that you actually believe that. I'm not saying there aren't millions of women out there that can work 40 hours a week at a high stress job, I'm pointing out that it's caused an explosion in mental health problem for a large majority of women. I'm an accountant, and most the women I work with are complete monsters compared to the women I worked with at entry level jobs when I was younger. Even the women at those jobs were crybabies, always needed help, or had the occasional breakdown.

My sister has ran 2 different bars over the years, and one thing she will tell you is that hiring women has it's drawbacks. While having a pretty face to serve people food and drinks is almost mandatory to her business, my sister will be the first person tho tell you that her male employees will do twice the work and create half the problems of her female employees. Being a gay woman, my sister is surrounded by feminists and girl power, but she will freely admit that she will hire a man over a woman any time she can get away with it. That's why the entire back of her restaurant is all men.

Old 10-23-2015, 11:27 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times
Quote:
Think of every job you have ever had, and tell me with a straight face that you actually believe that. I'm not saying there aren't millions of women out there that can work 40 hours a week at a high stress job, I'm pointing out that it's caused an explosion in mental health problem for a large majority of women. I'm an accountant, and most the women I work with are complete monsters compared to the women I worked with at entry level jobs when I was younger. Even the women at those jobs were crybabies, always needed help, or had the occasional breakdown.

My sister has ran 2 different bars over the years, and one thing she will tell you is that hiring women has it's drawbacks. While having a pretty face to serve people food and drinks is almost mandatory to her business, my sister will be the first person tho tell you that her male employees will do twice the work and create half the problems of her female employees. Being a gay woman, my sister is surrounded by feminists and girl power, but she will freely admit that she will hire a man over a woman any time she can get away with it. That's why the entire back of her restaurant is all men.
I 100% believe it.

And your point, that a large majority of women have mental health problems, is completely false.

Old 10-23-2015, 12:37 PM

36,537 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Quote:

You know although anecdotal, the women I see/know who are on some type anxiety/bipolar medications aren't the ones with high end stressful jobs. Many of those women aren't even employed full time.

And the 1950's, remember mothers little helper? Also largely taken by high end business men.

Things are changing but the 1980's saw women entering into jobs previously held by men. No doubt there was great pressure to prove themselves. In addition at that time these same women under fire to prove women could indeed excel in these position were also still expected to keep up with their second job as wife, mother, cook and bottle washer. And you wonder why they had an occasional melt down.

Old 10-23-2015, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
You know although anecdotal, the women I see/know who are on some type anxiety/bipolar medications aren't the ones with high end stressful jobs. Many of those women aren't even employed full time.

And the 1950's, remember mothers little helper? Also largely taken by high end business men.

Things are changing but the 1980's saw women entering into jobs previously held by men. No doubt there was great pressure to prove themselves. In addition at that time these same women under fire to prove women could indeed excel in these position were also still expected to keep up with their second job as wife, mother, cook and bottle washer. And you wonder why they had an occasional melt down.
I fully agree. That's one of the big reasons a lot of the women I work with are perpetually on edge. After they spend 10 hours doing financial reports, many of them still have to go home and deal with kids. My office manager is a single mom. I couldn't imagine being a single parent and working the hours she works. That's why I cut her some slack for being an unstable emotional pain in the *** on a daily basis LOL

Old 10-23-2015, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I 100% believe it.

And your point, that a large majority of women have mental health problems, is completely false.
It’s Not Just Sexism, Women Do Suffer More From Mental Illness | TIME.com

Old 10-23-2015, 01:16 PM

I'm sorry they are refuting findings by the World Health Organization and not siting how they came to their own differing conclusions?

As well the mental illnesses they sited were depression, anxiety, sleep problems, sexual problems, and eating disorders. I hardly see how these can be solely attributed to working 40 hr. a week stressful jobs.

Depression, sleep, sexual and eating disorders are more prevalent in women overall.

Old 10-23-2015, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I'm sorry they are refuting findings by the World Health Organization and not siting how they came to their own differing conclusions?

As well the mental illnesses they sited were depression, anxiety, sleep problems, sexual problems, and eating disorders. I hardly see how these can be solely attributed to working 40 hr. a week stressful jobs.

Depression, sleep, sexual and eating disorders are more prevalent in women overall.
They're far less prevalent in stay at home moms. That's the point.

Old 10-23-2015, 02:01 PM

Quote:
They're far less prevalent in stay at home moms. That's the point.
Were is the study that confirms that.

Do you think these type disorders are are also less prevalent in people, male or female, that are say retired or financially secure and do not need to work, less prevalent in say men working factory jobs as opposed to men who are CEO's?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies