Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 09:28 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,733,455 times

Advertisements

how the hell can people actually deny global warming!!!! i see the proof on the beaches every week

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2012, 09:29 PM

33,543 posts, read 37,145,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
Interesting, in that MANY people who believe in global warming, also believe that those who don't are less intelligent. This proves otherwise.

Global warming skeptics as knowledgeable about science as climate change believers, study says | Fox News

Faux news has never ever proved anything, as they wouldn't have a clue how, but they do have a license to lie...

Old 05-28-2012, 09:41 PM

June 21, 2011

The American public is less likely to believe in global warming than it was just five years ago. Yet, paradoxically, scientists are more confident than ever that climate change is real and caused largely by human activities.

Anthony Leiserowitz, who directs the Yale University Project on Climate Change Communication, delved into this in a recent poll. He not only asked citizens what they thought of climate change, he also asked them to estimate how climate scientists feel about global warming.

"Only 13 percent of Americans got the correct answer, which is that in fact about 97 percent of American scientists say that climate change is happening, and about a third of Americans just simply say they don't know," he said.

Most Americans are unaware that the National Academy of Sciences, known for its cautious and even-handed reviews of the state of science, is firmly on board with climate change. It has been for years.... Climate Change: Public Skeptical, Scientists Sure : NPR

I have to conclude after reading this article that there are a lot of ignorant people in your country...

Old 05-28-2012, 10:07 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,950,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
FOX News reporting on climate change, is this thread a joke?
The key word here - "reporting". What? Did you think they made up their own study?

No...they reported a study by this group;

Quote:
A study published Sunday in the journal Nature Climate Change finds that people who are not that worried about the effects of global warming tend to have a slightly higher level of scientific knowledge than those who are worried, as determined by their answers to questions like:
I have no doubt this is true.

Just notice the "arguments" from the cult believers...they tend to regurgitate what they've been told and then if that doesn't work, they resort to personal attacks and name calling.

Old 05-28-2012, 10:49 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
"Only 13 percent of Americans got the correct answer, which is that in fact about 97 percent of American scientists say that climate change is happening, and about a third of Americans just simply say they don't know," he said.
This should come as no surprise, frankly I'm surprised it's not 100%....... Having said that......

Quote:
I have to conclude after reading this article that there are a lot of ignorant people in your country...
I have to conclude the person being quoted above is ignorant, I'm assuming the 97 percent comes from the bogus study already cited in this topic as it's the only one I'm aware of with that percentage. The problems with the study aside that is not the conclusion they came too.

Quote:
But the public is largely unaware of the consensus because that's not what they're hearing on cable TV or reading in blogs.
Is he kidding? Does he live under a rock?

Old 05-29-2012, 11:23 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,953,537 times
Quote:
most americans are unaware that the national academy of sciences, known for its cautious and even-handed reviews of the state of science,...

lol

Old 05-29-2012, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
This should come as no surprise, frankly I'm surprised it's not 100%....... Having said that......

I have to conclude the person being quoted above is ignorant, I'm assuming the 97 percent comes from the bogus study already cited in this topic as it's the only one I'm aware of with that percentage. The problems with the study aside that is not the conclusion they came too.

Is he kidding? Does he live under a rock?
Not too swift at research are you, or is it that you don't want to see anything that conflicts with your denialist position? Here is the source of what you call the "bogus" study....Amazing....The link was on the very first line of the NPR page...

Section 8: Domestic Issues and Social Policy | Pew Research Center for the People and the Press

Old 05-29-2012, 12:02 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Not too swift at research are you, ......
I'm specifically talking about this reference made by the person being interviewed:

Quote:
97 percent of American scientists say that climate change is happening,
There is no reference for that in either NPR article, the only study I'm aware of that has a percentage of 97% is the bogus one from the environmentalist graduate student that has more holes in it than Swiss cheese. Regardless of whether the study is accurate that is not the conclusion it drew, the conclusion of that study was 97% of scientists believed in anthropogenic global warming which is distinctly different from climate change.

Old 05-29-2012, 12:07 PM

20,462 posts, read 12,384,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
"This study is agnostic on what people ought to believe," he told FoxNews.com. "It just doesn’t follow to say this finding implies anything about what people should believe on this issue."

Read more: Global warming skeptics as knowledgeable about science as climate change believers, study says | Fox News

Well then, that was 30 seconds of my life wasted. "Hey! Check out this study we did." "How should it steer your view?" "NO CLUE! But, it's a really cool study."

I think the point here is that whackadoodle climate change believers cannot say that skeptics are idiots who have no clue about science.

Old 05-29-2012, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I'm specifically talking about this reference made by the person being interviewed:

There is no reference for that in either NPR article, the only study I'm aware of that has a percentage of 97% is the bogus one from the environmentalist graduate student that has more holes in it than Swiss cheese. Regardless of whether the study is accurate that is not the conclusion it drew, the conclusion of that study was 97% of scientists believed in anthropogenic global warming which is distinctly different from climate change.
I don't think that was the conclusion at all...As with all polls, the answers you get depend on the questions you ask. We found that almost all climate scientists believe that the world has been warming: 97% agree that "global average temperatures have increased" during the past century. But not everyone attributes that rise to human activity. A slight majority (52%) believe this warming was human-induced, 30% see it as the result of natural temperature fluctuations and the rest are unsure. What Scientists Really Think About Global Warming - Forbes.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies