Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 12:52 AM

14,268 posts, read 18,926,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDusr View Post
I do think people are committing fraud. I also think they just don't prosecute. The way they cross referenced the courts seems like a good idea, but I don't understand why your status isn't being asked when you get a license. I also think Real ID is invasive.
Things have changed quite a bit in Florida. In fact, getting a new driver's license now has become too much of a hassle. I'm surprised we're not strip searched.

Trust me, there's a lot of sloppy record keeping in Florida. I know from experience. Do people lie? Of course they do. But time and time again it's been proven that voter fraud is not a big problem. In fact, I'm quite sure that if anybody is tilting the playing field, it's the crooked politicians.
Quote:
Not a fan of Scott, and haven't followed this but somewhat, however I am not sure why they can't verify the status of these citizens. My understanding is that the DHS DB was intended for such.
So why didn't Scott sue them last year if he met all of their requirements and still did not receive information to which he felt entitled? Could it be that he's angry about this?

[URL="http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2012-05-31/business/fl-election-law-partially-overturned-20120531_1_voter-registration-registration-efforts-voter-registration-drives"]Judge halts new Florida law that restricts voter registration groups[/URL]

Quote:
All of this said I think the voting machine problems make this a much smaller problem than the machines being used.
Agree. At least they're not using the butterfly ballots any more. I mean, just in Palm Beach County alone, more than 8,000 of them were thrown out in 2000 because 2 candidates were selected. Over 6,000 of those votes were for Al Gore. People can send me 100 different links that say otherwise, but I trust the people in Delray Beach I knew who said there was chaos and confusion at the polls. Even Pat Buchanan agreed that it was strange that so many Democrats voted for him and the [URL="http://articles.cnn.com/2001-03-11/politics/palmbeach.recount_1_gore-buchanan-gore-and-reform-party-butterfly-ballot?_s=PM:ALLPOLITICS"]Palm Beach Post[/URL] said that the ballot design cost Gore the election.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2012, 08:20 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,032,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Yes, I am concerned that all voters are protected,
If you were concerned about all voters you would be applauding Florida's efforts in suing the DOJ to get access to accurate data they are entitled too to insure both eligible voters are not flagged and ineligible voters are found.

Quote:
I want to add: Although it might not seem like a left or right issue, it seems odd that (according to what I've read) a disproportionate share of Democrats were on the list of letters mailed.
You could suggest it's discrimination, I could suggest it's because they are more likely those registered illegally support the Democrats. It would certainly support what the Republicans have been saying all along, yes? Simply because there is a majority of Democrats, Hispanics or a majority of any group on that list doesn't prove discrimination.

Old 06-13-2012, 09:41 AM

800 posts, read 780,822 times
Glad to see Florida take a stand. Holder and Obama seem to forget that the US is a UNION of states, not their own personal autocracy, and the states have the right to stand up for themselves. Hopefully, more states join the Sunshine State.

Old 06-13-2012, 09:52 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,665,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyIU29 View Post
Glad to see Florida take a stand. Holder and Obama seem to forget that the US is a UNION of states, not their own personal autocracy, and the states have the right to stand up for themselves. Hopefully, more states join the Sunshine State.
NON CITIZENS, which Obama does not get should not be able to vote.

Old 06-13-2012, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
NON CITIZENS, which Obama does not get should not be able to vote.
Obama? Where is your proof? So the nearly 10 million people who chose him over McCain in 2008 were ineligible to vote? Anyway, people on City-Data keep claiming that Mitt Romney is Hispanic, right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
You could suggest it's discrimination, I could suggest it's because they are more likely those registered illegally support the Democrats. It would certainly support what the Republicans have been saying all along, yes? Simply because there is a majority of Democrats, Hispanics or a majority of any group on that list doesn't prove discrimination.
As asked before, I would like to see any proof from a reliable source that the parties of these non-citizens are registered Democrats. When I looked up my status on the Lee County web site a couple of years ago, it showed my Name, DOB, Residence, and Party Affiliation. Certainly, if the 50 or so names that Rick Scott is claiming registered illegally are Democrats, and if they voted in past elections, there would be a record of this, right? That's 50 out of more than 11 million registered voters.

You mentioned Lee County, which is very conservative. Please look at [URL="http://www.news-press.com/article/20120608/NEWS0107/120608008/Lee-County-election-qualifying-ends-some-late-surprises"]this article. [/URL]

"For the first time in Lee County, Democrats will have the chance to vote for Republicans in a primary election."

"It will happen in two races, and it’s because of a 1998 amendment to the state Constitution opening primaries to all voters, regardless of party affiliation, when the only candidates running are members of the same party."

"Because only Republicans are running in House districts 76 and 79, Democrats registered in those two districts will be allowed to vote in those two races in the Aug. 14 primary."

"Ken Wilkinson, Lee County’s property appraiser and longest-serving elected official, won election for a ninth term when no one qualified to run against him. Since he first won an open seat in 1980, Wilkinson has faced opposition just once, in 2008."

"Lee Supervisor of Elections Sharon Harrington also ran unopposed and was elected to a new four-year term. She became head of elections in 2004 when she was appointed by Gov. Jeb Bush to fill the unexpired term of Philinda Young."

"Lee County commission Chairman John Manning in District 1 gets to sit out the primary. Nobody qualified to run against him in August. Gerard David Jr. of Cape Coral qualified as a write-in candidate for November."

This is the county where you claim there are so many ineligible voters and they're all Democrats. Guess they really had an impact on the elections, huh?

Last edited by justNancy; 06-13-2012 at 10:23 AM.. Reason: fix spelling

Old 06-13-2012, 10:51 AM

I didn't want to write a novel, so I edited my last post and am adding this comment.

I guess I'm so irritated because of the absurdity of this latest conspiracy by Republicans. It's so ridiculous that people are claiming there is voter fraud in Florida and it's because Obama is trying to win the 2012 election with votes from illegal immigrants, you know, the people he is deporting more than any other past president.

Do you know how many elected officials are Republicans in Florida and often run unopposed? I gave just a few examples in the above comment. Some of these elected officials have run unopposed for over a decade. Florida has a Republican governor now and the governor before him, Charlie Crist, was also a Republican. Guess who was governor before Crist? Jeb Bush, also a Republican. Guess who has had control over the Florida Legislature since the 1980s? In fact, since 1996 both the Florida Senate and the Florida House have been controlled by Republicans.

The Republicans have pledged to do whatever it takes to keep Obama from winning in 2012, even if it means destroying America. Even Jeb Bush said last week that this is not the same Republican Party of his father. It should be called the Obstructionist Party.

In 2008 the Republicans already vowed to do nothing to help our country if doing so would help Obama win votes. Instead of being concerned that treason is being committed in Washington, because our elected officials are purposely blocking every attempt by the president to move us forward, we now have a Republican created conspiracy that illegal immigrants are trying to throw the election in November. Strange that nobody seemed to be concerned about this in 2010 and stopped these voters from going to the polls. How did that election turn out, huh?

Old 06-13-2012, 11:03 AM

Quote:
As asked before, I would like to see any proof from a reliable source that the parties of these non-citizens are registered Democrats.
To tell you the truth I haven't researched it but that is the claim the Democrats are making and has been published in many news stories, are you saying what the Democrats are claiming is inaccurate? Furthermore if this is patisan purge by the Republicans as the Democrats are claiming why would they be purging Republicans?

I any event as I said previously this isn't a right or left issue, ineligible voters should be purged whether they are republican, democrat, white, black or purple with pink poke-a-dots.

Old 06-13-2012, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Do you know how many elected officials are Republicans in Florida and often run unopposed?
That happens in many areas all over the country hence the reason a white supremacists was able to get elected to a GOP party commission here in PA with one write in vote. The area I live in is heavily Democrat and often they will run unopposed especially in smaller local elections. Who is going to be elected is often decided in the primaries.

Old 06-13-2012, 11:48 AM

Default Funny videos about Florida voting

These 2 videos are very funny, especially the seond one with John Oliver. No matter how you feel about this matter, you need to have a sense of humor. Rick Scott isn't only trying to "catch" ineligible voters, his goal is voter suppression. Trying to stop the League of Women Voters and similar groups from registering new voters is disgraceful, to say the least.

[url=http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/the-buzz-florida-politics/content/jon-stewart-john-oliver-tackle-gov-rick-scott-voter-purge-daily-show]Jon Stewart, John Oliver tackle Gov. Rick Scott, voter purge on 'The Daily Show' | Florida politics blog: The Buzz | Tampa Bay Times[/url]

I'd like to point out that the woman who keeps saying in the 2nd video that voter fraud is "a figment of your imagination" is one of Florida's Republican Election Supervisors.

Old 06-14-2012, 10:47 AM

Here's why Lee County has such a high rate of illegal voters being purged:

Quote:
Nearly half of Florida's purged voters in Lee County » Naples Daily News

Every month, Harrington's office gets a report from the local clerk of courts with the names of potential jurors who asked to be excused from duty because they were not citizens. Those names are matched with the county's official voter rolls.

The results showed that nearly half of those potential jurors who said they weren't citizens were listed in her files as being eligible to vote.

What's not known is whether they lied when they registered to vote, or lied in court to get out of jury duty.

"That's the question," Harrington said.

Either way, they've sworn in court that they're not citizens, so her office is removing them from voter rolls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies