Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2012, 01:32 PM

102,213 posts, read 107,931,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by diva360 View Post
Um, the KKK endorsed (extra-legal) lynching and murders, and was essentially a terrorist organization
"endorsed" extra-judicial killing? Don't you mean,"committed"? They were thugs and vigilantes operating outside the law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2012, 08:06 PM

8,560 posts, read 6,409,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Evidently you don't know what the KKK stands for. They started by keeping the Northern soldiers and black men from raping and murdering white women after the Civil War. I see absolutely no reason for denying them the right to do something good.

Now tell me something the NAACP has ever done for white people. Nothing! They are a racist organization too.

And tell me what the black panthers have ever done that was good for anybody?

I personally would not belong to any of these organizations, but I have read the constitution. Civil rights are for everybody including the KKK.
Good grief!!

Old 06-21-2012, 08:11 PM

72 posts, read 170,583 times
I actually love that the KKK still exists.

I hate racism but to dismiss the KKK as useless is a mistake.

It's a group of grown men who wear wizard hats and have grand wizards (and I assume mid-level wizards? Mid-zards?) and there's just all kind of wizardry and secret handshakes and chants, oh man!

With the right attitude you can enjoy this stuff. It's pretty epic if you just sit back and leave the emotion out of it.

Is there something better in life than watching a grown man with a serious look on his face put on a wizard hat and chant stuff in an angry tone?

I don't think there is.

Let them have their clean-up stretch. Just sit back and watch.

Old 06-21-2012, 08:14 PM

2,239 posts, read 3,230,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhemi View Post
I'm really interested in seeing how this one will turn out. I'm all for 1st amendment rights, disagree with what the KKK stands for, would hate to see the Adopt-a-Highway program go away, but would be ashamed to drive along a highway section sponsored by the KKK.

It is within their rights to adopt so....

KKK group seeks Adopt-A-Highway OK *| ajc.com
Freedom of speech doesn't mean you can say whatever you want. Just like you can't yell fire in a crowded theater.

Old 06-21-2012, 08:19 PM

1,242 posts, read 3,480,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer75 View Post
Freedom of speech doesn't mean you can say whatever you want. Just like you can't yell fire in a crowded theater.
Of course you cant say anything anywhere. I don't see why they cant pick up trash.

Old 06-21-2012, 08:35 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,134,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Evidently you don't know what the KKK stands for. They started by keeping the Northern soldiers and black men from raping and murdering white women after the Civil War. I see absolutely no reason for denying them the right to do something good.

Now tell me something the NAACP has ever done for white people. Nothing! They are a racist organization too.

And tell me what the black panthers have ever done that was good for anybody?

I personally would not belong to any of these organizations, but I have read the constitution. Civil rights are for everybody including the KKK.
If you actually believe this you are a lost cause... Pitiful...

Old 06-25-2012, 09:37 AM

194 posts, read 618,883 times
As I posted over in the Atlanta sub-forum, I look forward to the reality of seeing the signs that say:

This Road is Being Maintained by the Georgia White Knights of the Ku Klux Klan (or whatever).

It can serve as a useful reminder for people who despise such groups as well as for visitors to our state.

Old 06-25-2012, 12:41 PM

12,964 posts, read 13,679,366 times
Wouldn't be fun if every body who drove down that stretch of highway bought a bag of cotton balls and flung them down the road as you pass. Just the thought of the KKK picking cotton is too funny.

Old 06-25-2012, 02:01 PM

798 posts, read 1,034,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mid-Level Internetting View Post
I actually love that the KKK still exists.

I hate racism but to dismiss the KKK as useless is a mistake.

It's a group of grown men who wear wizard hats and have grand wizards (and I assume mid-level wizards? Mid-zards?) and there's just all kind of wizardry and secret handshakes and chants, oh man!

With the right attitude you can enjoy this stuff. It's pretty epic if you just sit back and leave the emotion out of it.

Is there something better in life than watching a grown man with a serious look on his face put on a wizard hat and chant stuff in an angry tone?

I don't think there is.

Let them have their clean-up stretch. Just sit back and watch.
Problem is, this would be really funny if they did this and didn't hunt down minorities (mostly blacks) and then lynched them. There are probably several people still alive whose lives have been affected by the KKK. I don't care that they want a highway, the issue is that their history is full of racial killings and terrorism. However, I'm black and I can say that if the Black Panthers wanted to adopt a highway, I would be against that too. It just seems like a publicity stunt.

Think of it this way (not necessarily directed at anyone):
Your child is molested by an individual. Years later, that same person moves down the street only a few houses away. However, they say that they've turned a new leaf. Would you be OK with that?

If they really want to clean up the highway, they should drop the "KKK" name and change it to something less striking, even if it's the same group. At least it is less noticeable. Or just clean it without the sign.

Old 06-25-2012, 02:32 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaySwelly View Post
Problem is, this would be really funny if they did this and didn't hunt down minorities (mostly blacks) and then lynched them. There are probably several people still alive whose lives have been affected by the KKK. I don't care that they want a highway, the issue is that their history is full of racial killings and terrorism. However, I'm black and I can say that if the Black Panthers wanted to adopt a highway, I would be against that too. It just seems like a publicity stunt.

Think of it this way (not necessarily directed at anyone):
Your child is molested by an individual. Years later, that same person moves down the street only a few houses away. However, they say that they've turned a new leaf. Would you be OK with that?

If they really want to clean up the highway, they should drop the "KKK" name and change it to something less striking, even if it's the same group. At least it is less noticeable. Or just clean it without the sign.
That others are "O.K." with something is irrelevant. Our rights are not based upon the idea of everyone being "O.K." with them.

There are negative aspects to our rights but that beats the alternative.

I could be mad as hell about the person moving down the street but there would be nothing I could do about it. Some people were upset at the black family moving in down the street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies