Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 12:58 PM

5,036 posts, read 5,136,566 times

Advertisements

Maybe he shouldve just pulled an Elizabeth Warren and said "I have _____ which is a physical feature of blacks" and I was told by my great, great grand dad that I am 1/32 black."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2012, 01:05 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,644,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucsLose View Post
Maybe he shouldve just pulled an Elizabeth Warren and said "I have _____ which is a physical feature of blacks" and I was told by my great, great grand dad that I am 1/32 black."
Didn't work for you.

Old 06-15-2012, 01:08 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,111,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencerMtn View Post
Name one. Just one. I challenge you. Name ONE scholarship for Whites only!
African-American hands out a 'whites-only' scholarship | wfaa.com Dallas - Fort Worth

Quote:
Carter and Bohannan's group isn't the first to give away scholarships to whites only.

There is already one offered at the University of South Carolina and another at the University of Southern Mississippi.

Old 06-15-2012, 03:32 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,200,962 times
But, but, but, what took you so long?

Good job. I'm sure there are thousands more hidden away out there. Does Forest Lake Country Club give out a scholarship to members' kids??? If so, white only, maybe?

Last edited by buzzards27; 06-15-2012 at 03:40 PM..

Old 06-15-2012, 03:36 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,111,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
But, but, but, what took you so long?

Good job. I'm sure there are thousands more hidden away put there. Does Forest Lake Country Club give out a scholarship to members' kids??? If so, white only, maybe?
I'm starting to realize that a lot of ignorance on here is self-imposed.

Old 06-15-2012, 06:37 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,883,042 times
They are a private institution and, while their decision was distasteful and racist, it is their money and their scholarship, and their right who to give it to in the first place.........

...... but once they had given it to this kid they shouldn't have taken it back, and further, he shouldn't have given it back - not just to keep the money, but, as a matter of ethics.

To put it more broadly, people creating a scholarship for african-americans only (or any other race, for that matter) are racists, but, they are racists doing something that doesn't hurt anyone and it is better for society to let them go about their business because if we said, "no, you can't endow that" to them they probably wouldn't create a scholarship for anyone at all, and it's not like they're taking anything away from anyone. No one is hurt.

When they took back a scholarship they have already given out away on the basis of race, they crossed the "do no harm" line and "don't discriminate against a person on the basis of their race" lines in a really big way.

Old 06-15-2012, 07:27 PM

I take it you didn't read the article. The thread title is a lie. The white kid was not forced, or even asked, to give back the scholarship. The white kid voluntarily gave back the award.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALackOfCreativity View Post
They are a private institution and, while their decision was distasteful and racist, it is their money and their scholarship, and their right who to give it to in the first place.........

...... but once they had given it to this kid they shouldn't have taken it back, and further, he shouldn't have given it back - not just to keep the money, but, as a matter of ethics.

To put it more broadly, people creating a scholarship for african-americans only (or any other race, for that matter) are racists, but, they are racists doing something that doesn't hurt anyone and it is better for society to let them go about their business because if we said, "no, you can't endow that" to them they probably wouldn't create a scholarship for anyone at all, and it's not like they're taking anything away from anyone. No one is hurt.

When they took back a scholarship they have already given out away on the basis of race, they crossed the "do no harm" line and "don't discriminate against a person on the basis of their race" lines in a really big way.

Last edited by buzzards27; 06-15-2012 at 08:21 PM..

Old 06-15-2012, 07:36 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,883,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
I take it you didn't read the article. The thread title is a lie. The white kid was not forced, or even asked, to give back the scholarship. The white voluntarily gave back the award.
"Jeffrey, who has a 4.25 cumulative grade-point average, applied for 27 scholarships and won three others in addition to the award from the Martin Luther King Senior Citizens Club, which only specified that African Americans were “encouraged to apply,” the newspaper reported. School counselors were informed that the scholarship was for black students. The club intends to change the language on next year’s application to clarify who is eligible, according to the Press-Enterprise"

On closer reading, it doesn't explicitly say he was asked, I just inferred that, with a nonzero probability of being incorrect, from the fact that the school was told it was supposed to be black-only after he got it and that they were updating the language. So I guess it doesn't explicitly say whether he was asked or spontaneously decided to give it back unprompted when he realized it, although I'd be more than willing to bet even money that him beings asked was how it went down from what is said in the article. If he wasn't asked, then no harm, no foul.

Old 06-15-2012, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALackOfCreativity View Post
"Jeffrey, who has a 4.25 cumulative grade-point average, applied for 27 scholarships and won three others in addition to the award from the Martin Luther King Senior Citizens Club, which only specified that African Americans were “encouraged to apply,” the newspaper reported. School counselors were informed that the scholarship was for black students. The club intends to change the language on next year’s application to clarify who is eligible, according to the Press-Enterprise"

On closer reading, it doesn't explicitly say he was asked, I just inferred that, with a nonzero probability of being incorrect, from the fact that the school was told it was supposed to be black-only after he got it and that they were updating the language. So I guess it doesn't explicitly say whether he was asked or spontaneously decided to give it back unprompted when he realized it, although I'd be more than willing to bet even money that him beings asked was how it went down from what is said in the article. If he wasn't asked, then no harm, no foul.
There are several articles out there on the story. The white kid, after discussing with his dad, felt it was better if a black lid got the award. Nobody from the scholarship committee ever even discussed it with him before he returned it.

Someone was being "creative" with the thread title, maybe hoping to create white outrage????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies