Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2012, 10:44 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
Since so many of the uninformed are too uninformed to know they are uninformed, I fear that you'd have a really hard time getting that one off the gournd.

The profligate daddies are much easier to identify....
Post of the day !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2012, 12:16 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,970,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
There is still a very high number of Mormons practicing polygamy and taking LARGE sums of welfare.
Who exactly are you referring to when you say "Mormons"? Are you talking about members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (headquartered in Salt Lake City) or members of fundamentalist splinter groups? The LDS Church banned polygamy nearly 130 years ago, and today there is no faster way an LDS man or woman can find to get excommunicated from the Church than to be found to be practicing polygamy.

Old 06-17-2012, 12:18 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,970,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
So what percentage of Mormons are on welfare and other government programs ?
Again, who do you mean when you use the word "Mormons"? If you are referring to members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, the answer to your question would be that the LDS Church Welfare System keeps the vast majority of them off government welfare. Because of the Church's Welfare System, out-of-work Latter-day Saints do not end up being a financial drain on society.

Old 06-17-2012, 12:39 PM

419 posts, read 466,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Who exactly are you referring to when you say "Mormons"? Are you talking about members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (headquartered in Salt Lake City) or members of fundamentalist splinter groups? The LDS Church banned polygamy nearly 130 years ago, and today there is no faster way an LDS man or woman can find to get excommunicated from the Church than to be found to be practicing polygamy.
You are correct about the difference, and to be fair, jojajn did put in the post:
Still, the practice of plural marriage continues among tens of thousands of members of various fundamentalist splinter groups long disassociated from the main body of the church, such as the Apostolic United Brethren (AUB) or the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (FLDS). These polygamist sects are generally located in Utah, Arizona, Texas, and other parts of the Western United States, Canada, and Mexico. Even though polygamy is generally illegal in all 50 states and in all three countries, practitioners are almost never prosecuted unless there is evidence of abuse, statutory rape, welfare fraud, or tax evasion.

I realize the issue is differentiating between the main body and the other groups, but you know most folks won't. They'll just refer to them in the general term of "Mormons." Good that you're raising the issue, to try and educate others on the difference.

For those of who are carrying about about the "left" hating Mormons is silly. Romney belongs to the main body, and they have a welfare system within the church that is nothing short of absolutely amazing. Besides, the only folks I ever hear complaining about Mormons are on the right - the Evangelicals, whining about it being a cult.

However, the point about how polygamists hate the government, but think nothing of scamming gobs of welfare money is totally valid.

Old 06-17-2012, 01:16 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,419,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
I'm sorry your inability to comprehend English is very limited...NOTHING I posted gave any indication that I would favor mutilation of female genitalia...and it's not to keep women "chaste".

I never advocated mutilation of male genitalia....your reasoning just doesn't exist.

I think you really need to get a dictionary and look up the big words like "mutilation", "vasectomy"(it's NOT the removal of testicles as another ignorant fool in here claims!). Look up the "Genitalia Mutilation" for the real reason....read, try really hard to learn...learning isn't as scary as Republicans would lead you to believe.
The comparison is not between vasectomy and genital mutilation but rather a surgical procedure performed on infants for sociological reasons. You suggested that the solution to abortion was sterilizing boys at birth.

I have had a vasectomy and understand the process. It was a choice made by a grown adult.

I am astounded that the "my body, my choice" crowd would advocate a forced procedure on infants. But then again, after reading some of their posts, I'm not.

Old 06-17-2012, 01:21 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,419,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Can you believe it!?? People today not knowing the difference between castration and a vasectomy! And they actually post opinions!
How 'bout the one who thought vasectomies were the same as female genitalia mutilation (which they thought was done to keep women "chaste")...and they dare to comment on the sexual habits of others??!!!
You missed the point. I understand the difference between the two procedures. The comparison was between the reasoning for the two different procedures, both on newborn infants.

You suggested that it was acceptable to sterilize newborn males as it was a solution to abortion. I made the point that in some countries it is acceptable to mutilate newborn girls in the name of purity. Now explain to me how either is acceptable?

Old 06-17-2012, 01:28 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times
Quote:
High number, large sums of money. Means there are no numbers.
I did a google and there are no numbers.

When did the left jump on this "Mormons are welfare scammers" ?
Is it all because of Romney ?
Polygamy is part of the Mormon history. In fact, the founder of Mormonism, Joseph Smith, not only endorsed it, he married an 14 year old child.

Quote:
The leaders of this church actively pretend that polygamy never existed. Today they provide educational pamphlets for their members that portray Smith, Brigham Young, and several other early presidents of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints as monogamous. Many members of the LDS Church don’t even believe that the founder of their church was a polygamist, let alone a man who filled his harem with underage girls as young as 14.

The LDS Church discontinued the practice of polygamy in 1890, but this was only a move to relieve pressure that was placed on them by the US Government. It was also a move toward the goal of establishing statehood for Utah. The practice was discontinued, but the doctrine is still in place and can be found in the Doctrine and Covenants, Section 132. This is canonized LDS scripture. I recommend that anyone interested in this phenomenon read this piece of LDS scripture. Here is the link to Doctrine and Covenants, Section 132:
Doctrine and Covenants 132*

Child Brides - Mormon - Polygamy

Old 06-17-2012, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Again, who do you mean when you use the word "Mormons"? If you are referring to members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, the answer to your question would be that the LDS Church Welfare System keeps the vast majority of them off government welfare. Because of the Church's Welfare System, out-of-work Latter-day Saints do not end up being a financial drain on society.
I was responding to a poster who now, probably because of Romney, is jumping on the "Mormons scamming welfare" bandwagon like so many other Dems.

Old 06-17-2012, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Polygamy is part of the Mormon history. In fact, the founder of Mormonism, Joseph Smith, not only endorsed it, he married an 14 year old child.

Doctrine and Covenants 132*

Child Brides - Mormon - Polygamy
For pete's sake...do you not know that you are quoting history like it's in effect today ?

Old 06-17-2012, 01:39 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times
Quote:
For pete's sake...do you not know that you are quoting history like it's in effect today ?
It is. Have you heard of Warren Jeffs?

Warren Jeffs - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies