Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 11:15 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,766,994 times

Advertisements

Seems like the Obama vs. Romney fight, if it stays in the honorable domain, will boil down to Romney's accusation that Obama is not managing the recovery well. I am scratching my head on this one. With many Americans underwater, a lot of other folks out of work or underemployed, corporate profits very high, and hiring very slow, and government spending blocked by the GOP, I don't see how Romney could do any better. What is the silver bullet?

And if the GOP approves a jobs bill early in a Romney presidency but refuses to do so now to torpedo Obama, is that not extortion?

Feel free to respond to either question, but the first is my biggest interest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2012, 11:35 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,135,461 times
You must first tell me how allowing the government to take more money out of the economy, stimuluates the economy..

How Obama got Keynes wrong - Feb. 5, 2010

Old 06-17-2012, 11:40 PM

68 posts, read 41,533 times
Remember Ron Paul is still in the race and it's technically not Obama v Romney. The mass media is trying to ignore the fact that Ron Paul is still in it. Obama and Romney have to find a way to improve the economy. The most successful way in my opinion is allow us have a free market and get rid of the taxes. Why get rid of the taxes? To get more money to the people. Now people think we should higher taxes and give more money to the government...But why give money to the government and have them support us. We shouldn't be living off the government like what we are right now.

Old 06-18-2012, 12:01 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,766,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderAgeVoterRussian View Post
Remember Ron Paul is still in the race and it's technically not Obama v Romney. The mass media is trying to ignore the fact that Ron Paul is still in it. Obama and Romney have to find a way to improve the economy. The most successful way in my opinion is allow us have a free market and get rid of the taxes. Why get rid of the taxes? To get more money to the people. Now people think we should higher taxes and give more money to the government...But why give money to the government and have them support us. We shouldn't be living off the government like what we are right now.

This is all fine and well, but the truth is that government spending creates government jobs. Tax cuts for the top income earners does not seem to do nearly so much. They seem to use the extra money to buy more lobbyists to get more tax cuts.

Pghguest, taxes can be used to creat jobs and to increase consumption. Workers will innovate, and the economy will move forward. In a perfect world, all the capital accumulated by top dogs would be plowed back into the mainstream economy to do great things. The last three decades has proven they use the money to fund Limbaugh, SuperPACs, Norquist, etc.,etc., to maintain their personal advantage. None of those a-holes creates any jobs. Tax revenues pass through far more hands than accumulated capital of the top 1%. I could be wrong on that, but I don't buy this "the private sector is the only real economy" crap. We live in a mixed economy (and we will for the rest of our lives) and money moves quite well from private to public sectors and back again. Plenty of innovation occurs on both sides too. The ability to deficit spend and to make strategic investments in the future, which might not cash flow immediately is what the public sector does well. The railroads, highways, and internet are just a few examples.

But, am I to take your answer, for the sake of argument to be, like the Russian kid's, minimize the public sector and cut taxes to the bone? Isn't this a bit simplistic, and wouldn't is be just as impossible for Romney as Obama?

Old 06-18-2012, 12:26 AM

3,045 posts, read 3,194,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
You must first tell me how allowing the government to take more money out of the economy, stimuluates the economy..

How Obama got Keynes wrong - Feb. 5, 2010
More quasi-intellectualism? The economy isn't a bucket. It's not something into which you dump things or out of which you dump things. To suggest so means that you're really clueless. [MOD CUT/off topic]

Last edited by Ibginnie; 06-18-2012 at 01:52 PM..

Old 06-18-2012, 12:28 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,369,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Seems like the Obama vs. Romney fight, if it stays in the honorable domain, will boil down to Romney's accusation that Obama is not managing the recovery well. I am scratching my head on this one. With many Americans underwater, a lot of other folks out of work or underemployed, corporate profits very high, and hiring very slow, and government spending blocked by the GOP, I don't see how Romney could do any better. What is the silver bullet?

And if the GOP approves a jobs bill early in a Romney presidency but refuses to do so now to torpedo Obama, is that not extortion?

This is why I always say that it's better to criticize specific policies, rather than the vague claim the the prez is not doing a good job of "running the economy," "managing the recovery," or however we want to put it. If we criticize Obama for things like cash for clunkers, Solyndra, the 'stimulus' etc. we're on much firmer ground.

But we're probably stuck with this concept that the prez "runs the economy." Remember that Clinton supporters made this into an art form. And now you want Romney supporters not to use it against Obama.

Old 06-18-2012, 12:29 AM

68 posts, read 41,533 times
Quote:
This is all fine and well, but the truth is that government spending creates government jobs. Tax cuts for the top income earners does not seem to do nearly so much. They seem to use the extra money to buy more lobbyists to get more tax cuts.

But, am I to take your answer, for the sake of argument to be, like the Russian kid's, minimize the public sector and cut taxes to the bone? Isn't this a bit simplistic, and wouldn't is be just as impossible for Romney as Obama?
Taxes do somewhat help the government, But the government shouldn't be controlling our jobs. Should be more private companies so we can start rebuilding our economy. Usually when you cut taxes people will start to spend there money. Right now taxes are so high even working families don't have enough to survive. You don't want to depend your whole life's income on the government.

Old 06-18-2012, 05:33 AM

7,936 posts, read 9,160,764 times
I think the one thing Romney will provide is a more business friendly environment. From the start, Obama was railing against business and CEOs while he was doing the exact same things he was railing about (flying all over the place, attending lavish dinners etc).
For the country to survive, a thriving private sector is needed to provide the tax revenue to pay for the public sector and needed social programs.
For a community organizer, getting their low educated clients a job with the post office or some other govt job is a good accomplishment. As President, you can't give everyone a govt job. You need to get the private sector thriving. That is the best form of "stimulus" there is.

Old 06-18-2012, 05:46 AM

7,508 posts, read 5,756,758 times
You will not have a recovery until Obama is out of office period. He is anti-business and until you get someone in the whitehouse that is business friendly we are staying where we are. Like it or not it is the way the world turns and will always turn. Companies make money, hire workers, workers spend money, economy recovers. Until companies no longer feel threatened by almost daily threats and bi-polar rants from Obama there will be no change. They are going to hold onto their money, no expansion and no hiring. The moment s republican president is hired the economy will start a strong recovery. More so if republicans take the house, senate and whitehouse. It will be like someone flipped a light switch. When that happens it will be many many years before democrats see a majority in any of the branches.

Old 06-18-2012, 06:00 AM

46,311 posts, read 27,124,387 times
Quote:

Reid has stopped many bills from being signed that have been passed by the house. So, I'm not sure how you think it is the house holding anything up? Whether you think it is right or wrong, reid has tabled numerous bills from even being voted on.

Quote:
Seems like the Obama vs. Romney fight, if it stays in the honorable domain, will boil down to Romney's accusation that Obama is not managing the recovery well. I am scratching my head on this one. With many Americans underwater, a lot of other folks out of work or underemployed, corporate profits very high, and hiring very slow, and government spending blocked by the GOP, I don't see how Romney could do any better. What is the silver bullet?.
Just my take on owners: There are to many "Unknowns" coming up in the future with this health care bill (taxes and what not). You (as an owner) cannot manage your company with "unknowns."

Here is the way I explain it:

Go to a car dealer, pick out ANY car, sign the paperwork, drive away.

The car dealer will send you how much your payments are, intrest rate, and how much you paid for the car.

Are you willing to do this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies