Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2012, 04:11 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,945,990 times

Advertisements

One of the arguments I always read by opponents of the LGBT community, is that it is "Not Normal" ...

To me "normal" is a mathematical word ... it describes what is and is not in the majority, what is typical.

Not normal is being over 6'2'' ... having blue eyes ... being left handed ... having an IQ over 138 ... having the ability to speak three or more languages fluently ... being Jewish ... being color blind ... preferring anchovies on your pizza ... being ethnically Uzbek ... and so on.

So, what is the point about being "normal" ????

Gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender people are in the minority, and heterosexual people are in the majority. Big deal. Who cares? Is that a reason to hate on people? To disparage them? To defame them?

Opponents of the LGBT people I suspect want to argue that "not normal" really means "not natural" ... "not capable of successful living" ... "not worthy of respect" ... "not acceptable" - but those arguments can be easily shot down, so they hide behind the word "normal."

Sheesh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2012, 04:53 PM

38,643 posts, read 26,384,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Normal can be defined in many ways or not at all.

Homosexual activists and their liberal friends have decided to not define normal in such a way as to exclude homosexuality.

The problem with this big tent approach is that once homosexuality is made normal, it then becomes impossible to exclude the very extreme and bizarre.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
Why should "extreme and bizarre" be the criteria for exclusion when we actually have more objective and useful criteria such as "harmful?"

It appears that you have misidentified "the problem." In fact... you have asserted a problem that does not actually seem to be much of a problem at all.

Nonsense.

Extreme and bizarre are not always harmful, but they are nevertheless extreme and bizarre.

I define normal sexual relations as those between one man and one woman.

The reason this is normal is because it is in harmony with nature's design for sexual reproduction.

All other types of sexual interactions are at odds with nature's design and are therefore abnormal.

Old 06-25-2012, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Normal can be defined in many ways or not at all.

Homosexual activists and their liberal friends have decided to not define normal in such a way as to exclude homosexuality.

The problem with this big tent approach is that once homosexuality is made normal, it then becomes impossible to exclude the very extreme and bizarre.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
Why?
Why?

Give it a whirl.

Try to define normal in such a way that homosexuality in normal yet the extreme and bizarre are not normal.

Old 06-25-2012, 05:03 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,464,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
One of the arguments I always read by opponents of the LGBT community, is that it is "Not Normal" ...

To me "normal" is a mathematical word ... it describes what is and is not in the majority, what is typical.

Not normal is being over 6'2'' ... having blue eyes ... being left handed ... having an IQ over 138 ... having the ability to speak three or more languages fluently ... being Jewish ... being color blind ... preferring anchovies on your pizza ... being ethnically Uzbek ... and so on.

So, what is the point about being "normal" ????

Gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender people are in the minority, and heterosexual people are in the majority. Big deal. Who cares? Is that a reason to hate on people? To disparage them? To defame them?

Opponents of the LGBT people I suspect want to argue that "not normal" really means "not natural" ... "not capable of successful living" ... "not worthy of respect" ... "not acceptable" - but those arguments can be easily shot down, so they hide behind the word "normal."

Sheesh.
OMG, I'm left-handed, have an IQ over 138, speak more than three languages, am color blind, AND am a lesbian! Wow, I'm super not normal. Lol.

All joking aside, you're absolutely right, that people use the "not normal" line as justification for disrespecting someone and taking away/trying to take away their human rights. Even if something is not normal, so what? Still doesn't give anyone the right to oppress, judge, mistreat, disrespect, or hate someone for who they are.

Old 06-25-2012, 05:05 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,499,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gallowsCalibrator View Post
Actually, they are.

The American College of Pediatricians is a socially conservative group - akin to a "One Million Moms" Group made up of Pediatricians. In fact, they broke off of the American Academy of Pediatricians because of their view on homosexuality, single parenting, adoption (in general), and abortion.

Interestingly enough, their sources for showing how "bad" same-sex households are? Studies about single-parenting. They're basically like "Being in a single parent household is shown to be less than ideal, therefore because homosexual households only have one gender, they are the same and thus homosexual parenting is bad".

Heck, this group is a firm believer of "abstinence-until-marriage sex education and recommends adoption by all school systems in lieu of 'comprehensive sex education'." Hilaaaarious.
Kids of gay parents fare worse, study finds, but draws fire from experts - HealthPop - CBS News

Another study for you. You haven't disproven or discredited any of the research which shows homosexual parenting can be harmful to children. Many doctors and researchers have commented on the flaws in the studies claiming homosexual parenting is okay, and when those flaws are corrected in other studies, the results point to homosexuality being harmful.

And anyone who thinks those lesbian parents having their boy delay puberty to get a sex change surgery, is okay, is simply wrong.

Old 06-25-2012, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
If it is harmful to others it should be excluded. If it is something that is forced (non-consensual) on others it should be excluded. If it harms minors, or animals it should be excluded.
Not hard to define what should be excluded.

Same sex marriage does none of these.

We could argue the point of it being harmful to children.

Ryan White was a child and he was certainly hurt (indirectly) by homosexuality.

Leaving that aside, if the only exceptions to what is normal are those things which do harm, incest and polygamy cannot be considered weird or abnormal.

Old 06-25-2012, 05:18 PM

18,390 posts, read 19,023,642 times
Quote:

Leaving that aside, if the only exceptions to what is normal are those things which do harm, incest and polygamy cannot be considered weird or abnormal.
ryan white was infected from a blood transfusion. do you have proof the tainted blood was donated by a homosexual? you should educate yourself on how people can get aids.

homosexuality hurts no one including children

Old 06-25-2012, 05:25 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Quote:

You know that how, exactly? It says right in his biography (just looked to be sure) that it is not known when he contracted HIV, since he'd received a number of transfusions prior to his diagnosis... so we have NO idea who donated the infected blood, and it just as easily could have been a heterosexual and/or IV drug user. This is not only a major stretch, but a rather offensive and possibly inaccurate one.

Quote:
I guess you didn't bother to read "Clark Park's" post above, which very eloquently explained how normal vs abnormal applies to many aspects of life - most of which mean nothing more than "not in the majority." To challenge Nimchimpsky's level of abnormality, I am a redheaded blue-eyed Jew with an IQ over 138, so technically speaking I am probably more abnormal than most gay people. Does that make me weird? Maybe, maybe not. Does that make me less worthy of equal rights? Not at all.

FYI, I see nothing wrong with polygamy if all parties are consenting adults, and reluctantly say the same about incest. It may not be what society considers normal, but it's none of my business what people do sexually... and I think all acts should be legal, as long as nobody is being victimized. Who wants to be NORMAL anyway? It's so much more fun to be unique!

Old 06-25-2012, 05:28 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,499,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
homosexuality hurts no one including children
That is false. That poor boy who thinks he's a girl now, has and is being harmed.

Old 06-25-2012, 05:31 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
That is false. That poor boy who thinks he's a girl now, has and is being harmed.
Which "poor boy," and can you prove he'd be happier living as a male? I know a few transgendered folks, and they are MUCH happier living as the opposite sex.

Even if that could be defined as harmful, I think an isolated example hardly represents the entire homosexual community. Would you agree heterosexuality is harmful to children, given that SO many childhood abuse victims (physical, mental and/or sexual abuse) suffer at the hands of straight people?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies