Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 08:32 PM

29,220 posts, read 22,410,518 times

Advertisements

I know that FDR was popular enough to get elected 4 terms. He must have appealed to enough folks to make that happen- no President before him was elected to more than 2 terms. He was popular enough to make the Republican party a permanent Congressional minority for the next 40 years, too.

But FDR could not do what he did these days. He faced several Congresses that were just as hostile to him as Obama's Congress, and the politics were just as hot and divisive then as now, but no one of his political courage has appeared, before or since. He put the country to work in ways that are not even on the radar now by either party.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2012, 11:31 PM

147 posts, read 135,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
You will get a chance to see from 2012 to 2016.

Obviously, Obama has taken measures to hamper a recovery through leftist policy which harms industry. Romney WILL make things better, but Obama has put us in a deep fiscal hole. I can assure you that Romeny, unlike Obama, will not blame his predecessor.
Industry is setting records for profits... Industry was sitting on record amounts of money not hiring though. American Businesses Sitting on Record Profits, Still Not Hiring - maximillio's column on Newsvine
why not hire ask the Koch brothers et all who have ordered the rightys in congress to also be obstructionists to american jobs. Rightys would rather see more bridges and america fail as america is not their priority their party is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMe View Post
You stumbled upon a great point: what caused the housing bubble and the financial meltdown? We really don't know because the people who caused it don't want us to know. After 9/11 Bush appointed an independent panel to investigate how this could have happened, what went wrong with our intelligence, etc. Have you seen such an investigation of the circumstances that, in 2008, almost cratered our financial and banking system? No, you haven't. And the reason is that Obama and a Democrat-controlled Congress did not want the role that government played in causing this fiasco exposed. Worse, they appointed two of the principal architects of this fiasco, Dodd and Frank, to devise regulations to prevent such occurences in the future. And, surprise, surprise, none of the measures these two thieves came up with even addressed the complicity of government. I'm hoping that if Romney is elected he will do what should have been done four years ago: have an independent investigation of both business and governmental roles, including that of the Fed, in causing the financial meltdown.
Ists called the fox watching the hen house. ReyGun did it too and one of the Bush sons who had no banking background cost in just the bank he was on the board a billion dollars way back then. when you remove oversight and regulations the theives get in. Just ask Bushes largest backer at Enron.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
1. How is Obama responsible for a fiscal hole?
a. $6 trillion in additional debt
b. $1.3 trillion annual deficits
c. no budget
d. 80% increase in non discretionary spending

2. Renegotiate trade agreements? Right. That is why we still have the provisions of NAFTA and China most favored nation trade status intact.

3. The EPA has become an entity which can hamper industrial output by excessive regulations and is not subject to congressional authority or review. It is a loadstone on American prosperity and is a tool of the far left to promote a leftist agenda. Witness-

limits on domestic coal, oil, and gas exploration
limits on refineries
limits on coal generated electricity plants

4. Cut corporate taxes-

a. our deficits are from spending (revenues are 5% off record revenues, yet spending is up 35%)
b. corporate taxes account for a small percentage of revenues
c. the US has some of the highest corporate taxes in America
d. employed US citizens create higher income tax revenues

5. Social security reform

a. raise the eligibility age
b. if nothing is done, the system will go broke
c. markedly curtail social security disability

Liberalism is emotion at the expense of common sense
well when you inherit a 6 million a month loss of jobs, and the worst economy in the history of the USA ... well worst when the righty president calls in the dems and tells them basically if they do not give the banks what he is requesting a full bailout, that the USA as we know it was going to be ended. No president in the history of america has had to say that... just a righty one who took the country down the tubes. Do all you rightys have that bad of amnesia/reygun disease?

cutting taxes during Bush years caused the problem, and you want to do more... too funny. It needs to be called what it is, the so called "trickle down" is really **** on americans.

your stop environmental regulations, well companies are making record profits, so your logic is just twisted.

BTW unfunded wars of trillions did not seem to make your list. I have done a cost calculation if we used present low volume technology of solar reflective/thermal and if we just used that basic technology and took all the money from the Iraq war we would have free electric to every american family for the next 30-100 years. think what having real low cost energy would do for businesses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed from California View Post
FDR? You don't really know your history, do you?
hmm deficits... here is a chart from the congrssional budget office for some real history...
http://thegooddemocrat.files.wordpre...cit7-11-07.gif

Old 06-25-2012, 07:36 PM

5,466 posts, read 4,428,506 times
I don't think any president can get us out of the fiscal hole Obama put us in and then the nerve to say, we need to keep spending. WHO'S MONEY? Go spend your own money. He is after all RICH.

Old 06-25-2012, 08:17 PM

8,896 posts, read 5,384,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Under the Obama admin I have lost weight. I ballooned up to 136 pounds under Bush and now am back down to about 133 pounds.
My DH says he lost over 150 lbs of unsightly flab during the Reagan administration ..... he divorced his first wife.

I have gained about 10 lbs since BO took office. It must be his fault.

Old 06-25-2012, 08:19 PM

8,896 posts, read 5,384,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
I know that FDR was popular enough to get elected 4 terms. He must have appealed to enough folks to make that happen- no President before him was elected to more than 2 terms.
How many other Presidents attempted to stay past 2 terms?

I wish he hadn't.

Old 06-25-2012, 09:42 PM

Obama's Presidential Portrait

Old 06-25-2012, 09:59 PM

Old 06-25-2012, 10:07 PM

Old 06-25-2012, 10:16 PM

22,667 posts, read 24,639,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Come to think of it, when Bush was Prez, and the GOP ruled, my home doubled in value. He stank as a president, but increasing everyone's net worth like that was terrific. When the Dem. gained shared power, the values plummeted. With Obama, things got really ugly. I am sure that is his fault.

Now, if I just vote for Romney, my house will double again, right?

But if it doesn't, can I say the bum was hampering the recovery?

Just wondering how this logic works.

I guess it is a good thing for you if your house bubbles up in value.

But the thing is, this artificial inflation of housing prices is being MAINLY driven by STUPID government policies. Speculation runs rampant when people know that Big Brother is jackin tons of dough into the Mortgage Markets......atttempting to inflate another bubble.

The artificial inflation of housing prices hurts much more than it helps. A house in a blue-collar area that should be 3 times average yearly salary, say 3*30K=90K, is actually 200K.........oh-my, how is that a good thing?????????? So now you need 30 and 40 year mortgages just to buy a place to live.

Old 06-25-2012, 11:04 PM

30,904 posts, read 37,008,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
I know that FDR was popular enough to get elected 4 terms. He must have appealed to enough folks to make that happen- no President before him was elected to more than 2 terms. He was popular enough to make the Republican party a permanent Congressional minority for the next 40 years, too.
"Popular" and good are not the same. FDR set in motion the mess we have with Social Security, not to mention planted the seed in people's minds the fiction that government had unlimited resources to bail them out financially (instead of family and local community).

All politicians have to do to be popular is appeal to people's short term interests. Since humans rarely think about the long term, this is easy to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies