Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 07:29 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,785,325 times

Advertisements

I hope they strike the whole thing down. But I have been wondering something. If the Supremes first decide that the mandate is unconstitutional, they then have to decide whether to let the rest of Obamacare stand, or to strike down all of Obamacare.

I've heard three different explanations so far, all different:

1.) If the bill contains language saying "If part of this law is struck down, the rest still stays in effect", then the Supremes might strike down only the mandate and let the rest stand. (Note: Obamacare does NOT contain that language. That's why Judge Roger Vinson of the District Court, struck down the entire thing after finding the mandate unconstitutional)

2.) The Supremes don't so much look for that language. Instead, they try to figure out the following: Would Congress have written the rest of the bill as is, without the mandate, if they had been told that the mandate was definitely not allowable? Or would the absence of a mandate have made Congress write it substantially differently, or possibly not write it at all?

3.) The Supremes would try to decide: Would this bill work without the mandate, about the same as it would work with the mandate?

I understand that when the bill was being written, the Obama lawyers wanted to include that language about leaving the rest in place if part of the law were struck down. But the insurance companies balked - they didn't want to be stuck with paying for millions of people who were sick a LOT, if healthy people didn't have to pay in too. So the language was eventually taken out.

Anybody know what line of inquiry the Supreme Court justices might follow, if at first they decide the mandate must go?

Old 06-07-2012, 07:33 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
They have to. I'll find a link. This is the way it was written.

{edit}

A key reason that Federal Judge Robert Vinson declared the entire health care reform law unconstitutional, rather than just the much-discussed individual mandate to buy health insurance, is because Congress — in its haste to pass the unpopular bill — decided ultimately not to include a “severability clause,” which protected the rest of the legislation if one portion failed court muster.

http://blogs.standard.net/the-politi...in-high-court/

Last edited by pknopp; 06-07-2012 at 07:41 PM..

Old 06-07-2012, 07:36 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Normal bills contain whats called a severability clause, which is exactly what you said, that if the bill gets struck down, the rest of the bill stands. originally the healthcare bill did contain it, but it was removed in one of the rewrites, assumed due to the fact without the mandate there isnt money to fund the rest.

The fact that Congress normally includes the language, out of default, throws #2 out, because its standard, and it was specificially removed, and they are supposed to follow the letter of the law, so without it, the whole thing should be thrown out.

Now if they do that, no one knows.

Old 06-07-2012, 07:42 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,785,325 times
My feeling is, that since they considered putting that language (severability clause) into the bill but later deicided not to, that TELLS the Supremes that they would not have written the bill this way if they cold not have the clause.

So this actually satisfies Condition #2 above: If the mandate is unconstitutional, then the Supremes would decide to throw out the entire thing along with it.

*IF* they agree with me. But since they haven't called me to ask for my advice, I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Old 06-07-2012, 09:12 PM

3,045 posts, read 3,193,705 times
I'd tend to agree. With the law struck down and no mandate, the rest has to die. There's no other way to pay for it. I guess the free loaders will be back.

It should be interesting to see how both sides spin it. There's also not many other options for fixing the system. The freeloaders will keep free loading. It might actually give more push to letting people buy into social security as there aren't really any other options.

Republicans will probably say it's not their fault since the court made the ruling. It will be entertaining to see them trying to enact popular parts of the law that were shut down while being beholden to the insurance industry.

Old 06-07-2012, 09:13 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,201,197 times
just strike down the whole bill. health care is not a right, never has been nor should it ever be.

Old 06-07-2012, 09:13 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noexcuseforignorance View Post
I'd tend to agree. With the law struck down and no mandate, the rest has to die. There's no other way to pay for it. I guess the free loaders will be back.

It should be interesting to see how both sides spin it. There's also not many other options for fixing the system. The freeloaders will keep free loading. It might actually give more push to letting people buy into social security as there aren't really any other options.

Republicans will probably say it's not their fault since the court made the ruling. It will be entertaining to see them trying to enact popular parts of the law that were shut down while being beholden to the insurance industry.
Because this law wasn't written for the benefit of the insurance industry?

Old 06-07-2012, 09:18 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
there are three possibilities here;

1: the scotus decides that the mandate is unconstitutional, and since there is no severability clause, they strike down the entire law

2: the scotus decides the mandate is unconstitutional, but decides that there was intent to include a severability clause, and rules the rest of the bill can remain

3: the scotus decides that the mandate is constitutional and upholds the entire law.

Old 06-07-2012, 09:19 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,201,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noexcuseforignorance View Post

freeloaders? you mean illegal aliens? make it so illegal aliens cannot get emergency care at all. if they cannot prove citizenship or have a visa for being in the country, no emergency medical care.

that takes care of alot of the extra bills that we have to pay for.

Old 06-28-2012, 09:33 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,835,178 times
Not a problem any more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies