Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 01:15 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,322,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Let's see, these are "Federal" employees who volunteer to a job that restricts their freedom of speech, allows them to be tried twice for the same crime (once in civilian court and once in military court), work in conditions not covered by OSHA, work in high risk jobs which could endanger life or limb, and can work 18 hour or more workdays for at least 6 months at a time. I expect their healthcare to be free.
Good point

But this applies to family members and retirees
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2012, 01:17 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,322,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Having been in a US Helicopter unit based overseas I can speak to this. None of the enlisted in my company joined for patriotic motivations. Most were very poor students from low class white family's or immigrant family's. None and anything beyond and shallow knowledge of politics, government, civics, or current events.
They joined because the military offered them a better career than what they were headed for.
This is why the republicans always seem to screw up the economy and make the military so appealing for those who have limite options. Quick name a politican that was an active duty enlisted member (it would be even harder to find one of their kids)

Old 06-29-2012, 03:10 PM

2,404 posts, read 6,579,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
they already spend too much on health care. they spend blood on it already.

maybe politicians should remember that.
Hit it right on the head ! Why should it be any diffewrent for those members of the Senate, House and Congress, they run the government ! and get "FREE" health insurance, don't you think those members that protect yours , mine and yes their ass should get the same benifit "FREE" insurance for life?

Old 06-29-2012, 03:11 PM

1,391 posts, read 2,646,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
This is why the republicans always seem to screw up the economy and make the military so appealing for those who have limite options. Quick name a politican that was an active duty enlisted member (it would be even harder to find one of their kids)
Republican Mike Coffman enlisted in the Army during Vietnam, and he didn't even have a high school diploma at the time. He eventually earned it, and later transferred to the Army Reserve. Some time later, he joined the Marine Corps and became an infantry officer.

Old 06-29-2012, 03:14 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,224,166 times
Does Obama demand that he and all other politicians in the FED pay more for their health care? Did he take the first step and voluntarily done it?
Leaders lead by example. They walk the walk not just talk the talk.

Old 06-29-2012, 03:23 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,822,450 times
Military are neither left or right..Most of AMERICAN wealth is kept secure by military. These men and woman go abroad and do the bidding of all the people...If it were not for the threat of force- You folks would be paying 500 dollars a barrel for oil...Whether it be left or right wing elitists in government and big business..The trend is to disrespect those that protect and defend and offend on behalf of America- Either take care of your soldiers- or take care of yourself and be even less secure nd even more poor...Why would you bad mouth your military? If it were not for them...America would be a big nothing- Do you think you got to where you are as an empire...through diplomacy and the love of the world? YOU got their through brute force....remember that.............Now grant your military anything they need!

Old 06-29-2012, 03:39 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter 1 View Post
Hit it right on the head ! Why should it be any diffewrent for those members of the Senate, House and Congress, they run the government ! and get "FREE" health insurance, don't you think those members that protect yours , mine and yes their ass should get the same benifit "FREE" insurance for life?
Might be nice if you had actual facts to back up your screed.
2012 Federal Employees Health Benefits Program

Every federal employee, from congress down to a GS-01 has the same health benefit plans available to them.
Just so that you can educate yourself, I've provided a link.

Here's some information on Congressional salaries and benefits: US Congress Salaries and Benefits
Members of Congress receive retirement and health benefits under the same plans available to other federal employees. They become vested after five years of full participation.

I'd love to see military members pay what all other federal employees pay for health benefits.
Why not?

Old 06-29-2012, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Might be nice if you had actual facts to back up your screed.
2012 Federal Employees Health Benefits Program

Every federal employee, from congress down to a GS-01 has the same health benefit plans available to them.
Just so that you can educate yourself, I've provided a link.

Here's some information on Congressional salaries and benefits: US Congress Salaries and Benefits
Members of Congress receive retirement and health benefits under the same plans available to other federal employees. They become vested after five years of full participation.

I'd love to see military members pay what all other federal employees pay for health benefits.
Why not?
1. Unlike federal civil service workers or congress, senate or the President for that matter a service member is locked in to the military. Yes he can quit and ruin his life as a result.
Civil service quits they go find another job. No OTH, DH follows them around.
Yes the military volunteered for thier job so does everyone else. Not everyone else is worked like a slave, treated like a slave and with no recourse. Many times My work day was well over 24 hours and I didnt get paid over time. My longest day was a 76 hour nightmare. 0 sleep was possible and no break was possible. Thats the difference between IRS ageent and the military, white house janitor and the military. Congressional door greeter and the military.
No comparrison is possible between civil service desk jobs and the military.

Old 06-29-2012, 03:51 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
1. Unlike federal civil service workers or congress, senate or the President for that matter a service member is locked in to the military. Yes he can quit and ruin his life as a result.
Civil service quits they go find another job. No OTH, DH follows them around.
Yes the military volunteered for thier job so does everyone else. Not everyone else is worked like a slave, treated like a slave and with no recourse. Many times My work day was well over 24 hours and I didnt get paid over time. My longest day was a 76 hour nightmare. 0 sleep was possible and no break was possible. Thats the difference between IRS ageent and the military, white house janitor and the military. Congressional door greeter and the military.
No comparrison is possible between civil service desk jobs and the military.
I disagree.
They volunteer; that was not the case for draftees in 'Nam, but since then, it's been an all-volunteer force.
They re-enlist. Stop loss is over.
It's all about choices.
Disabled vets do receive additional benefits to include medical care.

My response was to the off the wall comments by fighter1.

Old 06-29-2012, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
I disagree.
They volunteer; that was not the case for draftees in 'Nam, but since then, it's been an all-volunteer force.
They re-enlist. Stop loss is over.
It's all about choices.
Disabled vets do receive additional benefits to include medical care.

My response was to the off the wall comments by fighter1.
It is and it isnt. Also the pay scale for military is lower than that of your civil service. They have a choice but not once they accept a job. Once sworn in they are a piece of property. Not so with civil service types. Civil service gets over time pay. Military does not. The bottom line is civil service has freedom and those who serve do not or at least a great deal less.
We can compare FBI or shudder DEA or shudder a lot ATF to the military but even they are not at the same level of risk collectively nor do they have the same level of sacrifice. In fact damn little comparativly speaking.
The other civil service whats their sacrifice? What freedoms do they surrender? Yes you can say it was choice but then I can say that free health care is part of the compensation package for the sacrifice of freedoms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies