Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 07:31 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,947,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
You're not suing her, you're filing a claim against her homeowners' insurance policy.
Do you know what that does to her..........I've been there the premiums go up and they treat you like your yard is a dangerous place for a child.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2012, 07:32 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,342,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
The first was when we were at grannies for Christmas 12 years ago. My Mother-in-laws dog(wiener dog), bit my daughter.
The hospital didn't question me, the insurance company drilled me who, what, when and where....

The second time, she was goofing off with my nephew, while staying a week during a summer, and fell up against the barbwire fence. Granny took her to the hospital.

Same drill, from the insurance company.

I saw the billing from the hospital to the insurance.

The first time I was expecting to pay what they billed the insurance. $4200
I paid $286

The second time it was $4800
I paid $220
So, the hospital DID bill your insurance company and, apparently, the bill did not exceed your deductible. At that point you became a cash customer and, again apparently, the hospital gave you a pity discount. Good for you!

Your problem is you are assuming that all hospitals follow the same 'discount' policies. Well, they don't

Old 07-02-2012, 07:42 AM

1,176 posts, read 1,820,646 times
Isn't there anyone else who thinks over $4000 for a dog nip or a barbwire cut is ridiculous? A friend of mine was nipped by another friends dog breaking the skin. The bitten friend went to her doctor four days later when bite area got inflamed. All good and bill nowhere near $4000 or I'm sure I would have heard about it. Needless to say the old crotchety dog will be locked up in the future when we visit!

Old 07-02-2012, 07:47 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,531,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VMH2507 View Post
Isn't there anyone else who thinks over $4000 for a dog nip or a barbwire cut is ridiculous? A friend of mine was nipped by another friends dog breaking the skin. The bitten friend went to her doctor four days later when bite area got inflamed. All good and bill nowhere near $4000 or I'm sure I would have heard about it. Needless to say the old crotchety dog will be locked up in the future when we visit!
Hospitals charge outrageous fees. But, of course you have insurance. The "good guy" who negotiates payment with the hospital. What a scam. Imagine if the hospitals charged reasonably to being with ?

That's why everyone HAS to have insurance. Because on our own, we'd never get that $4000 bill down to $280.

Old 07-02-2012, 07:49 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,663,022 times
This was a small town hospital.
Not a big inner-city boondoggle.

Old 07-02-2012, 07:51 AM

568 posts, read 962,712 times
Duh - I think people are missing the point - that paying cash is less than paying with insurance. I can vouch for that experience when I had detached retinas in each eye. One eye was covered with insurance (because I was working) and the other was not covered because I had no insurance. The eye covered by insurance was double the cost from the one where I had no insurance. Health insurance companies are in it for the money and no other reason. They dont care about your HEALTH! Now the doctor - the same one for both eyes was very understanding and gave me treatment that was necessary took advantage of the health insurance "gimmie" and I can see!

Old 07-02-2012, 08:53 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,342,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pooterposh View Post
Duh - I think people are missing the point - that paying cash is less than paying with insurance. I can vouch for that experience when I had detached retinas in each eye. One eye was covered with insurance (because I was working) and the other was not covered because I had no insurance. The eye covered by insurance was double the cost from the one where I had no insurance. Health insurance companies are in it for the money and no other reason. They dont care about your HEALTH! Now the doctor - the same one for both eyes was very understanding and gave me treatment that was necessary took advantage of the health insurance "gimmie" and I can see!
Duh. The outrageous charges billed to insurance companies are to cover the costs of those of you who come in w/o insurance. My premiums go up because my insurance contributes to what the hospital writes off for your care. What my insurance excess doesn't cover, my taxes do. There is no free ride - other people are covering your azz. You can thank us at any time.

Old 07-02-2012, 09:10 AM

2,729 posts, read 5,373,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VMH2507 View Post
He said it was a farm so who is to say that there was even a HO policy involved? I think the suit happy people are more of a concern to me. When my son broke his arm, I didn't jump to the idea of suing his playmates parents. I took him to the emergency room to get it fixed!
We're not talking about your rank & file "sue-happy" people here.

The fact is, in the case of most "accidents," the insurance companies duke it out, regarding who pays. If somebody is walking down the sidewalk in front of my house, trips and falls and breaks an elbow, MY homeowners' insurance pays for it. That's just the way it works.

Old 07-02-2012, 09:47 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,428,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
If you have insurance, your treatment cost more? They get more of the pie than if you pay cash for treatment.
There was a Harvard study a few years ago that found the uninsured were billed on average about 300% of what insurance companies were billed for the same hospital services. NJ uninsured were the 'winners' at 454%

Why would you get a discount for not going through the insurance company?

Old 07-02-2012, 09:53 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,958,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
There was a Harvard study a few years ago that found the uninsured were billed on average about 300% of what insurance companies were billed for the same hospital services. NJ uninsured were the 'winners' at 454%

Why would you get a discount for not going through the insurance company?
Got the study? I am not however shocked that actual evidence contradicts the OP's anecdotal assertion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies