Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2012, 06:41 AM

5,036 posts, read 5,137,483 times

Advertisements

Yeah, I know, tell you something you dont know. But the more we come to truly understand and realize that this is the truth, perhaps the closer we can get to an answer.

There is very little debate in DC. There's plenty of sparring and rhetoric but little debate on actual solutions. Politicians get free passes to not place an honest vote during an election year if a major bill is up for vote. On issues that matter to the people, to this country, they should not be allowed to take votes off.

Nothing much is being done to secure the borders, nothing much is being done to deal with illegal immigration or the companies that hire illegals.

Even with Obamacare, while the democrats actually did take initiative, though I still dont know who actually wrote the bill, the damn thing is flawed and there was no honest debate on what it contained. Some obvious things that wouldve helped cost was tort reform and allowing purchase across state lines, but that was obviously not included for some strange reason.

The tax code is an absolute mess, and besides a few voices here and there, most likely nothing will be done to fix it.
Hundreds, thousands of pages of bills, most which arent even read by those who vote for them, let alone understanding what's in them and their impact.

Politicians seem to spend more time campaigning and raising money than doing what should be a part time job. They reap the benefits and pay as we wait for real solutions to real problems.

Politicians lie right to our faces, and we take it thinking "thats just politics". Even POTUS lies or distorts, and we think "thats just politics". What a crying shame our government has become.

So what can we as the people do about it? I for one, dont have any idea. Unless we as a people can come together, there is little we can do to stop what will be the same cycle over and over. I really dont think we can last that much longer the way we are going. We do have major problems that need real solutions. We're America, the greatest country on earth, but would it shock anyone that we could continue to deteriorate and no longer be what we once were?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2012, 06:59 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,138,285 times
^^^ In the unlikely event that Romney wins the election, I'm sure your worries will disappear for at least 4 years.

Old 07-03-2012, 07:17 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,452,677 times
I have to totally agree with you. I think it is a shame that our political system has turned out like it is.

Old 07-03-2012, 07:18 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
"Our political system is broken and politicians self serving"

If you read the history of American politics one should be able come to the realization that the system is working just as it was designed to work (the rich and thus powerful holding the reigns of power) and that politicians are no more self-serving than they have ever been (see the Grant administration, Teapot Dome, the history of labor law etc).

Old 07-03-2012, 07:24 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,603,290 times
It's become popular to whine and moan about our "broken" political system. Think about this...

In the 2008 Presidential election, Barack Obama beat John McCain by 6.5 million to 5.5 million votes cast. I was never great at math, but if you add those two numbers up, I do believe you wind up with something like 12 million. Twelve million votes cast in a nation with a population of more than 200 million.

The only thing that's broken around here is voters. As a nation, we allow clowns, fools and people with agendas to hold elective office. We could throw them out if we wanted to.

Old 07-03-2012, 08:06 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,660,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
It's become popular to whine and moan about our "broken" political system. Think about this...

In the 2008 Presidential election, Barack Obama beat John McCain by 6.5 million to 5.5 million votes cast. I was never great at math, but if you add those two numbers up, I do believe you wind up with something like 12 million. Twelve million votes cast in a nation with a population of more than 200 million.

The only thing that's broken around here is voters. As a nation, we allow clowns, fools and people with agendas to hold elective office. We could throw them out if we wanted to.
Agree. We deserve the government that we elect.

However, I want to take it a bit further and agree with BucsLose. I realize that not much has changed over several decades; however, it is getting worse. While voter turnout is abysmal, you have to admit that our choices of who to vote for seem to be more and more ruled by money. It's very rare to see an "everyday" person get elected to Congress. They don't have the time or money. Many of the ideas I have would probably be unconstitutional.

I'd like to see our representatives *not* be allowed to do a lot of things.

1. First, I want them to pull a salary because it is a full-time job and many "everyday" people could not opt out of their careers to do this.

2. I don't want candidates to be able to require all this "campaigning" and campaign money. Why? I think there should be very strict limits on what you can spend and what you can receive.

3. I don't want candidates to have ANY affiliations with big business and I want them to be clear of conflicting interests to the full extent possible.

4. I want voting to be mandatory, just like in Australia. It should be a national day off and if you don't go out and cast your vote, there is a penalty.

But, I agree that something has to be done in regards to finding candidates that work for the people. I feel this is WAY more important in Congress than at the Presidential level.

Old 07-03-2012, 08:25 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
^^^ In the unlikely event that Romney wins the election, I'm sure your worries will disappear for at least 4 years.
Yep. And they wonder, why?

Old 07-03-2012, 08:27 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucsLose View Post
...So what can we as the people do about it? I for one, dont have any idea. Unless we as a people can come together, there is little we can do to stop what will be the same cycle over and over. I really dont think we can last that much longer the way we are going. We do have major problems that need real solutions. We're America, the greatest country on earth, but would it shock anyone that we could continue to deteriorate and no longer be what we once were?

There was an answer but you all laughed and called him, "crazy".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies