Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 05:01 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,153,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
If you have to ask you simply don't and will never get it.
So you don't get it?

Or you would've explained how a style of walking or sitting indicates character...

CD IS for discussing......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2012, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
Agreed. That old man must be completely out of touch with reality to have thought it a good idea to have class. He deserves all the negative attention it garnered. Maybe he'll open his eyes now.
I doubt it. Men like him (Republicans) view women as things, not humans...and certainly not equal to men.

It's a "control of women by a man with a tiny penis" syndrome.

Old 07-06-2012, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
What, pray tell, does being able to "sit, stand and walk like a model" have to do with self respect and character? And apparently it's only women who need schooling in proper etiquette, because you'll note the good senator wasn't proposing a similar class for men.
That's because sexists believe men can decide for themselves what or how they want to be ....but sexists think women are nothing but tall children who need giudance. They are Really Stupid People and live in the 19th century...

This Mentally Ill Senator in the OP reminds me of someone who grooms their cows , horses, and hogs for the county fair...to be judged on their breeding abilities....

Old 07-06-2012, 05:36 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
I have no problem with people being taught how to behave professionally and in public, especially if they are going after a job. "Dress for Success" was a bestseller for a reason, you HAVE to make a good impression and present yourself a certain way or you will not get far. That's a fact.

That said, I think this guy is just stuck in a bit of a time warp. If it's really about coaching for interviews or other interactions in business or polite society then say so. Both men and woman do this all the time. But he said what he said and can't really back track from it now. Oh well.

Old 07-06-2012, 06:55 PM

38,643 posts, read 26,384,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
To you, what exactly is a 'lady'?

Perhaps we should go back to this:

When women knew their place.

Being a lady or gentleman is the manner in which an intelligent individuals personally relate to society.

George Washington's Rules of Civility : The Colonial Williamsburg Official History Site

Old 07-06-2012, 07:05 PM

221 posts, read 282,980 times
It got cancelled because a lot of people called out that it's a stupid, sexist "seminar". Which it is.

Old 07-06-2012, 07:06 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,211,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Being a lady or gentleman is the manner in which an intelligent individuals personally relate to society.

George Washington's Rules of Civility : The Colonial Williamsburg Official History Site
And learning how to sit and walk like a model helps you to relate to society?

Old 07-07-2012, 12:33 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,632,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post

I'm assuming you follow all of these as well?

As for me, no thank you. Some of them are common sense (don't pick your teeth with a fork at the table) but over 100 things to concentrate on just to be in public? Really?

I follow Wheaton's Law. So far, it's done me far better than the archaic suggestions from many years ago.

Old 07-07-2012, 04:18 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times
Is this the best Republicans can come up with for a jobs act?

Old 07-07-2012, 05:15 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
What, pray tell, does being able to "sit, stand and walk like a model" have to do with self respect and character? And apparently it's only women who need schooling in proper etiquette, because you'll note the good senator wasn't proposing a similar class for men.
You assume much. That you cannot see the advantages of etiquette means there is no reason for me to try to explain. A poised woman in a business environment is going to be seen as much more professional. The rest of the world hasn't necessarily become as slovenly with posture as have Americans. I have to wonder why all the feigned outrage from folks. Is this really important enough to get your hackles up over? Or, are you offended at the thought of your own shortcomings?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies