Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2012, 07:43 PM

63,007 posts, read 29,203,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayarena View Post
Just because the native language of all Hispanics is Spanish, means nothing. There are about 23 different Latin American countries and they have similarities, but are culturally, ethnically and racially different from each other. That said, I thought that we were talking about assimilation, now you are talking about speaking Spanish in public as if this were a problem. I explained that because there are so many different waves of Cuban American migrants to the USA, not all of them feel comfortable speaking English. By the way, since when is this a problem, or how does that impact on a person's acculturation? When I go to Brighton Beach in Brooklyn, NY, all that I hear is Russian. When I go to Crown Heights also in Brooklyn, all that I hear is Yiddish. When I go to Chinatown in Manhattan, all that I hear is Chinese. Yet, I don't think that the Russians, Jews or Chinese are what we could call unassimilated.

When people say that English is that language of business, they don't mean that every businessman in the world speaks English. Just like Latin was the lingua franca of the middle ages, but not everybody spoke it. What I meant was that as a businessman, you want to cater to your clients. If you know that your clients speak Spanish and you rely on their business, you are going to speak Spanish to them. It makes them more comfortable, they are more articulate in the language, etc.. so you speak it to them to win them over and that way get their accounts, business, money. Does that make sense? As a city of international commerce and trade, business with Latin America is important to Miami. It brings in billions of dollars.
I don't recall the poster you are replying to saying that all Hispanics are alike culturaly and racially so why did you bring that up? What they stated is that they do all share the common bond of the Spanish language.

You keep rambling on about business but yet you failed to answer why they all choose Spanish in their personal lives over English. This seems to be a quirk held by all those referred to as Hispanics.

Old 08-17-2012, 09:40 PM

140 posts, read 232,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
As usual I stop reading after the first sentence or so of your rantings as there is blah, blah, blah is all you can manage as you slobber on the keyboard.

You dissect nothing and are just a typical shake-n-bake U.S. resident with a thin veneer of civilization and the barest clue as to what constitutes an American. I do not care if you are a citizen, it takes much more than a sheet of paper to produce an American. You dissect and counter nothing except in your own mind.(very Cuban of you) You have no facts only an unfounded ethnocentric notion of the superiority of your cultural group which has no basis. Your characterization of myself is entirely erroneous as have been your opinions in this thread. You are a perfect example as to why anglos elsewhere see Miami has having descended into some hypbrid banana republic stereotype on U.S. shores.
I'm not going to waste anymore time with you. No communication skills, no debating abilities and reading comprehension problems. What's more, your replies are nothing more than ad hominem attacks from start to finish. Good-bye.

Old 08-17-2012, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I don't recall the poster you are replying to saying that all Hispanics are alike culturaly and racially so why did you bring that up? What they stated is that they do all share the common bond of the Spanish language.

You keep rambling on about business but yet you failed to answer why they all choose Spanish in their personal lives over English. This seems to be a quirk held by all those referred to as Hispanics.
I find it very interesting that there are people on this discussion board who talk about English and assimilation, etc..pointing fingers at the Cuban community for not using English as a primary language, yet, it becomes increasingly clear that their reading analytical abilities are so poor that they would probably fail a Junior High School English Mid-term: one of those exams where one reads an essay and answers questions about the composition.

The poster said:

All Hispanic's native language is Spanish so I don't think it is comparing apples to oranges myself. I live in Calif. and I can tell you that I rarely hear one speaking English in public but they do switch to English when they realize the person they are dealing with doesn't speak Spanish so I know they know how to speak English. From what I understand it is the same thing with Cuban-Americans. They will always prefer Spanish over English.

The poster clearly states that there is a similarity between Hispanics regardless of the region that they hail from [I don't think it is comparing apples to oranges myself, i.e they are not different]. The clear implication is that its an ethnic thing, all Hispanics switch back and forth between languages. He has seen it himself with Hispanics in California. So, then he postulates that it must be true about Cubans as well. He is making a clear correlation that he then backs up by stating that he has been told that Cubans do this too. When I stated that all Hispanics are different culturally, and racially, I wasn't saying that he stated that they were the same racially and culturally, it was simply stated to underscore how different Hispanics and it was done in response to his statement.

Regarding your comment about me failing to talk about Cubans and their preference for Spanish, I must have gone over it a million times about how Cuban migration to the US is one of different waves and about how the Cubans who came over as adults use Spanish as their primary language, while first and second generation American-born Cubans use English.

You know, being proficient in a language is more than just speaking the language, it's also being able to understand text, something that you are clearly not able to do.

Old 08-18-2012, 05:20 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,849,333 times
Quote:
I'm not going to waste anymore time with you. No communication skills, no debating abilities and reading comprehension problems. What's more, your replies are nothing more than ad hominem attacks from start to finish. Good-bye.

I was done with you by your first response. I was just toying with you since to show everyone here what a contradiction you are. You are unassimilated as is shown by your bigotry,ethnocentrism, lack of comprehension of criticism, refusal to see other points of view....typical Third World transplant who still has their primitive culture beneath the veneer of our First World society.

The funny part is everything you have accused me of doing is what you have done in your posts. Every point. Projection on your part.

Ironically, communication skills is a prerequisite in my career path and I have done extraordinarily well which belies your comments and I am sure only ramps up your rage as you continue to burn at the keyboard that anyone would challenge your presumption of Cuban excellence.

Last edited by Felix C; 08-18-2012 at 06:22 AM..

Old 08-18-2012, 06:58 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,344,316 times
Quote:
I was done with you by your first response. I was just toying with you since to show everyone here what a contradiction you are. You are unassimilated as is shown by your bigotry,ethnocentrism, lack of comprehension of criticism, refusal to see other points of view....typical Third World transplant who still has their primitive culture beneath the veneer of our First World society.

The funny part is everything you have accused me of doing is what you have done in your posts. Every point. Projection on your part.

Ironically, communication skills is a prerequisite in my career path and I have done extraordinarily well which belies your comments and I am sure only ramps up your rage as you continue to burn at the keyboard that anyone would challenge your presumption of Cuban excellence.
Excellent analysis. The OP's arrogant conceit re the alleged accomplishments and superiority of her Cuban compatriots blinds her to any rational discussion.

Old 08-18-2012, 07:10 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,328,873 times
Quote:
I find it very interesting that there are people on this discussion board who talk about English and assimilation, etc..pointing fingers at the Cuban community for not using English as a primary language, yet, it becomes increasingly clear that their reading analytical abilities are so poor that they would probably fail a Junior High School English Mid-term: one of those exams where one reads an essay and answers questions about the composition.

The poster said:

All Hispanic's native language is Spanish so I don't think it is comparing apples to oranges myself. I live in Calif. and I can tell you that I rarely hear one speaking English in public but they do switch to English when they realize the person they are dealing with doesn't speak Spanish so I know they know how to speak English. From what I understand it is the same thing with Cuban-Americans. They will always prefer Spanish over English.

The poster clearly states that there is a similarity between Hispanics regardless of the region that they hail from [I don't think it is comparing apples to oranges myself, i.e they are not different]. The clear implication is that its an ethnic thing, all Hispanics switch back and forth between languages. He has seen it himself with Hispanics in California. So, then he postulates that it must be true about Cubans as well. He is making a clear correlation that he then backs up by stating that he has been told that Cubans do this too. When I stated that all Hispanics are different culturally, and racially, I wasn't saying that he stated that they were the same racially and culturally, it was simply stated to underscore how different Hispanics and it was done in response to his statement.

Regarding your comment about me failing to talk about Cubans and their preference for Spanish, I must have gone over it a million times about how Cuban migration to the US is one of different waves and about how the Cubans who came over as adults use Spanish as their primary language, while first and second generation American-born Cubans use English.

You know, being proficient in a language is more than just speaking the language, it's also being able to understand text, something that you are clearly not able to do.
Addressing your last sentence.....and yet you accuse others of resorting to ad hominen attacks? You're just not worth my time in here.

Old 08-18-2012, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
Excellent analysis. The OP's arrogant conceit re the alleged accomplishments and superiority of her Cuban compatriots blinds her to any rational discussion.
Right, but your monomania [you go around different message boards on City-Data attacking Cubans], your inability to advance an argument, like a litany from the middle ages, all that you do is repeat the same disparaging and fallacious characterizations of Cubans over and over again, [and when presented with documentation that disprove the lie, you ignore the documentation, then a few posts later repeat the same fallacy] clears your vision for sound reasoning.

Old 08-18-2012, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
Right, but your monomania [you go around different message boards on City-Data attacking Cubans], your inability to advance an argument, like a litany from the middle ages, all that you do is repeat the same disparaging and fallacious characterizations of Cubans over and over again, [and when presented with documentation that disprove the lie, you ignore the documentation, then a few posts later repeat the same fallacy] clears your mind for sound reasoning and rational discussion.

Old 08-18-2012, 10:43 AM

Quote:

Felix, you are so scattered. Concentrate. On the one hand I am supposed to be:

"ethnocentric," but at the same time a "third world transplant" who has a "primitive culture" that is beneath a "first world society" I am, also, a bigot, but I am at the same time full of rage that you would challenge my "presumption of Cuban excellence."

If am such an ethnocentric bigot [the implication being that I consider you inferior] why would I care what you say about me? Why would it fill me with rage? That's like a colonial overseerer caring what his colonialist servant has to say. Felix, FOCUS. You don't make any sense.

By the way, if Cubans are such third world transplants, how on earth were they able to integrate themselves so successfully into the seat of power of the most powerful country in the world? A country with the most sophisticated and complicated government on earth? "Unassimilated, third world people with primitive cultures beneath the veneer of a First World Society," would not be able to do that. Did Cubans go to congress with bones in their noses and with grass skirts and jump up and down and say "UGA, BOOGA" and then the doors of the seat of government of the USA opened up magically to them?!?

Here's a typical unassimilated, third world, primitive cultured Cuban-American, Ted Cruz, who will soon become the third Cuban American senator in the US Senate [Texas--republican]. Notice how primitive he and his daughter look. By the way, please tell us something about your Latino ancestral group, Felix? They must be so assimilated and first world.

Old 08-18-2012, 02:22 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,344,316 times
Quote:
Right, but your monomania [you go around different message boards on City-Data attacking Cubans], your inability to advance an argument, like a litany from the middle ages, all that you do is repeat the same disparaging and fallacious characterizations of Cubans over and over again, [and when presented with documentation that disprove the lie, you ignore the documentation, then a few posts later repeat the same fallacy] clears your vision for sound reasoning.
Quote:
Right, but your monomania [you go around different message boards on City-Data attacking Cubans], your inability to advance an argument, like a litany from the middle ages, all that you do is repeat the same disparaging and fallacious characterizations of Cubans over and over again, [and when presented with documentation that disprove the lie, you ignore the documentation, then a few posts later repeat the same fallacy] clears your mind for sound reasoning and rational discussion.
Ah, a post so nice you had to post it twice....

Your enthnocentricity, your constant repetition of the same argument, like a maniacal litany, the many posts of different pics of, in your opinion, notable Cubans over and over again, and your ignorance of facts that disprove your delusional representation of Cubans, despite links to valid documentation, are more than enough evidence that your mind is too muddled for sound reasoning and rational discussion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies