Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 06:11 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,787,516 times

Advertisements

I am trying to figure out the reasoning of my conservative brethren. By 2003, Bush had launched two wars and two tax cuts, all of which continued for the following 5+ years of his presidency. This is so insane on its face that I wonder how people ever felt it was going to be paid for. It is as if he did not care a wit about the true fiscal costs of the wars. He never asked us for sacrifice. No war bonds. Nothing.

So, a blunt question. How do you rationalize massive tax cuts and massive wars and claim to be fiscally responsible?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2012, 06:16 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,900,589 times
Are you suggesting that Obama should raise taxes on the middle class? And that if he doesn't, then he isn't fiscally responsible?

Old 07-10-2012, 06:16 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,702,642 times
Conservatives simply thought it was perfectly OK and patriotic to borrow money to pay for the wars. Perish the thought that conservatives would think it would be fiscally responsible to raise taxes to pay for war these days.

Old 07-10-2012, 06:19 PM

1,001 posts, read 1,993,442 times
You don't it is pure greed on the American Peoples part. During WW2 for example, everyone sacrificed....there was rationing, people bought war bonds to help pay......Today, the only people effected by our wars are either the Soldiers sho are on the loosing end or the Gov't contractors who are reaping billions.......

The thing that annoys me most are the folks who call themselves patriotic because they sloganeer and put a magnet on their car......They post stupid pics on their facebook about how we should "never forget" and how we need to support the troops but then the next post they put up is how they hate the Gov't and don't want taxes.

Listen, i hate taxes.....i do not want to pay them because they go towards waste.....but at the end of the day, we are in WAR.....we need to pay for it.....it is the MAIN reason we are in such debt.....

Old 07-10-2012, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Are you suggesting that Obama should raise taxes on the middle class? And that if he doesn't, then he isn't fiscally responsible?
Eventually, yes. And yes.

But he did not launch the tax cuts in war time. That was W. And the fact that they were never allowed to expire,even in the boom, is classic GOP policy. Now, how is that good policy?

Old 07-10-2012, 06:25 PM

2,538 posts, read 3,883,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Eventually, yes. And yes.

But he did not launch the tax cuts in war time. That was W. And the fact that they were never allowed to expire,even in the boom, is classic GOP policy. Now, how is that good policy?
^^^This. Taxes must go up. Bad news indeed, but at some point we have to start paying for these ridiculous wars.

Old 07-10-2012, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyegirl View Post
^^^This. Taxes must go up. Bad news indeed, but at some point we have to start paying for these ridiculous wars.
It is why War should be our absolute last resort.....Also, why we need to be adults and discuss our Countries military industrial complex..

We spend billions on defense and it has been successfully engrained in many Americans heads that of you suggest we cut it you are a wimp and willing to let us get attacked.....Really??

Re-instate the draft, and keep a smaller peace time military.....protect our homeland and stop meddeling in other countries affairs......

Old 07-10-2012, 06:30 PM

45,294 posts, read 26,549,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyegirl View Post
Do you give extra on tax day or are increases for other people?

Old 07-10-2012, 06:32 PM

I have some dim recollection of someone saying "these wars will pay for themselves.!" But I don't remember who said it. What a crock.

Here's my proposal. As soon as we get out of this recession. Let's say 2014, we raise taxes in a bond of 2% of GDP, and we pay off that bond in 5 years. Assuming we also returned taxes to 20% of GDP per Simpson-Bowles, that would be 22% of GDP for five years. That would ensure that we paid the war costs in full. No lies, shell games, no bs. Just do the right thing and pay in full. All of us. We cannot do it at 15% of GDP.

Old 07-10-2012, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Do you give extra on tax day or are increases for other people?
This is a stupid argument made by people who dont want to be serious about this problem. I do not want to pay the taxes i pay now let alone more.....however, our country is in dire straits financially. We need to decrease spending on Defense as well as raise taxes for now.....just like tax decreases have limits, tax increases should have limits.

Everyone cries like they are living in the third world country here.....we still have it exceptionally easy compared to many parts of the world. If we want to keep this country great we need to right the ship soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies