Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 06:00 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,021,443 times

Advertisements

This happened back in april. The 8 LAPD cops shot 90 rounds & killed the unarmed man (he had a cell phone in his hands).. I call that trigger happy & discusting.
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lano...lapd-says.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2012, 06:04 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,605,066 times
I say that if you lead police on a high-speech chase, tell 911 you have a gun, then jump out of the car with something in your hand, you've pretty much brought the shooting on yourself. However, firing that many bullets is just plain dangerous to others.

Old 07-11-2012, 06:05 PM

2,160 posts, read 1,954,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
This happened back in april. The 8 LAPD cops shot 90 rounds & killed the unarmed man (he had a cell phone in his hands).. I call that trigger happy & discusting.
Case of man shot at 90 times on freeway 'tragic,' LAPD says - latimes.com
Well.

I guess those LEOs thought that after the first 70 shots were fired, he was still texting in a threatening manner, so they gave him another 20...

Old 07-11-2012, 06:10 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
They needed 11 bullets each on an unarmed man ? Are these "trained" cops ?

Old 07-11-2012, 06:15 PM

37,963 posts, read 22,143,591 times
Quote:
The kid did not help matters by his comments and promises of hurting the police. I sounds like the kid had a death wish:

During the chase, Arian called 911, and according to a partial transcript of the call released by the LAPD, he claimed to have a gun and made threats to the police.

"I have been arrested before for possession of destructive devices, I'm not afraid of the cops," he told the dispatcher. "If they pull their guns, I'm going to have to pull my gun out on them."

The dispatcher, according to the release, pleaded for Arian to surrender, saying "I don't want you to hurt yourself."

Arian responded with expletives and warned that the police are "going to get hurt."

Old 07-11-2012, 06:16 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,786,069 times
Quote:
I watched this thing unfold and he presented a danger to everyone in the gas station. He start waving his cell phone around like it was a gun. He called 911 and told them "I have been arrested before for possession of destructive devices, I'm not afraid of the cops," he told the dispatcher. "If they pull their guns, I'm going to have to pull my gun out on them."

Do you even read beyond the title of a story before becoming outraged? What if the guy DID HAVE A GUN and HAD KILLED PEOPLE with it? I'll bet you would have said "why didn't the cops shoot him before this happened"

The cops have to believe he has a weapon if he says he does. Everyone in the gas station said he was acting eratic. He commited suicide by cop at worst.

Old 07-11-2012, 06:19 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,681,102 times
Sounds like another suicide by cop. Generally, it's not considered a great idea to threaten police (especially while leading them on a high speed chase). Based on the threats and the report of a shooting stance, a shooting was assured. Out of 90 rounds, I wonder how many were flyers?

Quote:
"I have been arrested before for possession of destructive devices, I'm not afraid of the cops," he told the dispatcher. "If they pull their guns, I'm going to have to pull my gun out on them."

The dispatcher, according to the release, pleaded for Arian to surrender, saying "I don't want you to hurt yourself."

Arian responded with expletives and warned that the police are "going to get hurt."

...as Arian headed toward the shoulder of the freeway in the vicinity of a vehicle that had pulled over, he turned again and assumed what police called a "shooting stance." He appeared to wield a weapon.

Old 07-11-2012, 06:27 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,440,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
I watched this thing unfold and he presented a danger to everyone in the gas station. He start waving his cell phone around like it was a gun. He called 911 and told them "I have been arrested before for possession of destructive devices, I'm not afraid of the cops," he told the dispatcher. "If they pull their guns, I'm going to have to pull my gun out on them."

Do you even read beyond the title of a story before becoming outraged? What if the guy DID HAVE A GUN and HAD KILLED PEOPLE with it? I'll bet you would have said "why didn't the cops shoot him before this happened"

The cops have to believe he has a weapon if he says he does. Everyone in the gas station said he was acting eratic. He commited suicide by cop at worst.
I agree with you to a point, and in this case, yes the cops have to agree that he has a gun. However i feel maybe it was suicide by cop.

But what about all these other cases, were cops were trigger happy, and too often innocent are killed.
Many cops today see no problem with killing first, asking questions later.

What about the poor Fullerton man who was brutally killed by cops. These cases are sad.

Old 07-11-2012, 06:38 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,681,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
I agree with you to a point, and in this case, yes the cops have to agree that he has a gun. However i feel maybe it was suicide by cop.
Based on what I read, I also think it was a setup for a suicide.

Old 07-11-2012, 06:40 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,176,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
Based on what I read, I also think it was a setup for a suicide.
His family will get a few million out of a California jury.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies