Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 11:19 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,587,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
Are you an idiot? That clip is literally him responding to someone ASKING FOR FREE STUFF. Who at that NAACP rally asked about FREE STUFF? No one.

In fact, the only FREE STUFF Obamacare provides are for those who qualify for Medicaid.

So to recap: You're comparing Romney saying "if you want the FREE STUFF YOU ASKED FOR..." to a woman who ASKED FOR FREE STUFF to Romney saying to a group of people WHO DON'T GET FREE STUFF and aren't asking for FREE STUFF "if you want the FREE STUFF THAT YOU"RE NOT GETTING..."

Don't start a response to me with a low class remark if you hope to have any kind of discussion.

The point is that it's a part of his platform that he makes to various groups. Some seem to be a little sensitive to it. Given that nearly 50% of the population pays no income tax and the climbing number of people on various forms of assistance, and the push for government to force more and more to be provided for people, he could make that statement pretty much anywhere and have it be relevant to some in the crowd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2012, 11:19 AM

3,398 posts, read 5,106,606 times
Quote:
What the hell is free Obamacare? Explain this free part and where it comes in to play if you're not very poor?
You are right on that account.

Old 07-13-2012, 11:20 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,364,082 times
Quote:
Did you miss the part where I describe what a typical crowd like that is made up of? Black PROFESSIONALS. The only way they'd get "free" stuff taken away is if they qualified for the Medicaid expansion, which you need to be dirt poor to qualify for.

But thank you for proving my point. Republicans love to portray Blacks as lazy scammers, even if the group they're talking about are professionals. They love to accuse Blacks of voting to get free stuff, even if there isn't free stuff to be had.

Most of us R's have a distaste for rent-seekers regardless of race, gender, sex-orientation, etc. You're the one who seems to be obsessed with connecting blacks to rent-seeking. Not Romney.

Romney has used the 'vote for the other guy' line before. I believe this was the first time he used it, and it was in response to a question from a WHITE FEMALE:

Romney: If you're looking for more free stuff, vote for the other guy - YouTube

It has nothing to do with race. That is as close to delusional as one can get without having the men in white coats come to take one away. (and note--'white coats' is NOT an allusion to race).

Old 07-13-2012, 11:23 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,564,185 times
Quote:
You're playing with me right? Please tell me you don't need me to breakdown how he compared the Conservative crowd he's addressing to the previous crowd he spoke to, then compared their reactions, then compared their motivations for those reactions.
yep, i need you to break it down for us.

Quote:
"But I hope people understand this, your friends who like Obamacare, you remind them of this, if they want more stuff from government tell them to go vote for the other guy-more free stuff. But don't forget nothing is really free. it has to paid for by people in the private sector creating goods and services, and if people want jobs more than they want free stuff from government, then they are going to have to get government to be smaller. And if they don't want to repeal Obamacare they are going to have to give me some other stuff they are thinking about cutting, but my list takes Obamacare off first and I have a lot of other things I am thinking of cutting."
are you claiming that this group of montana conservatives are good buddies with NAACP members?

Old 07-13-2012, 11:23 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
Default Drop the race card already!

Quote:
Did you miss the part where I describe what a typical crowd like that is made up of? Black PROFESSIONALS. The only way they'd get "free" stuff taken away is if they qualified for the Medicaid expansion, which you need to be dirt poor to qualify for.

But thank you for proving my point. Republicans love to portray Blacks as lazy scammers, even if the group they're talking about are professionals. They love to accuse Blacks of voting to get free stuff, even if there isn't free stuff to be had.
All one has to do is look at the voting record of most Progressive members of the CBC, as well as many members failure to pay taxes, mortgages or be called in on ethics reviews, to prove your entire post BUNK!

ACTIONs speak louder than words. The ACTIONS of the Progressives, especially members of the CBC, is to get as much "free stuff" to their districts as possible, thus loading more debt onto the taxpayers who are not part of the entitlement society.

Old 07-13-2012, 11:27 AM

9,701 posts, read 5,113,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
Don't start a response to me with a low class remark if you hope to have any kind of discussion.

The point is that it's a part of his platform that he makes to various groups. Some seem to be a little sensitive to it. Given that nearly 50% of the population pays no income tax and the climbing number of people on various forms of assistance, and the push for government to force more and more to be provided for people, he could make that statement pretty much anywhere and have it be relevant to some in the crowd.
What does that have to do w/ characterizing a crowd of professional Blacks as people trying to get something for free? B/c there might be some in the crowd that it applies to, that's okay? And what about the proven tactic of Conservatives, to potray Blacks as always looking for handouts and voting Democrat b/c of it, which ignores the fact that the vast majority of voting Blacks do not receive welfare?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyngawf View Post
You are right on that account.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Most of us R's have a distaste for rent-seekers regardless of race, gender, sex-orientation, etc. You're the one who seems to be obsessed with connecting blacks to rent-seeking. Not Romney.

Romney has used the 'vote for the other guy' line before. I believe this was the first time he used it, and it was in response to a question from a WHITE FEMALE:

Romney: If you're looking for more free stuff, vote for the other guy - YouTube

It has nothing to do with race. That is as close to delusional as one can get without having the men in white coats come to take one away. (and note--'white coats' is NOT an allusion to race).
See my reply to the guy who posted the exact same video, making the exact same point.

Old 07-13-2012, 11:34 AM

Quote:
What does that have to do w/ characterizing a crowd of professional Blacks as people trying to get something for free? B/c there might be some in the crowd that it applies to, that's okay? And what about the proven tactic of Conservatives, to potray Blacks as always looking for handouts and voting Democrat b/c of it, which ignores the fact that the vast majority of voting Blacks do not receive welfare?
He didn't characterize the crowd. He was characterizing his perspective on the role of government versus how he sees that of his opponent. He was saying that "if" you think government should do that, that's not what he thinks and the other guy would be more aligned with that view.

Proven tactic? Haven't seen anything proven. Can you show me a quote from anyone actually in politics that says that? Could we say it's a proven tactic of the left to paint issues as racial or to say that Conservatives "want dirty air and water?"

Old 07-13-2012, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
yep, i need you to break it down for us.

are you claiming that this group of montana conservatives are good buddies with NAACP members?
Really?

Quote:
"But I hope people understand this, your friends who like Obamacare, you remind them of this, if they want more stuff from government tell them to go vote for the other guy-more free stuff. But don't forget nothing is really free. it has to paid for by people in the private sector creating goods and services, and if people want jobs more than they want free stuff from government, then they are going to have to get government to be smaller. And if they don't want to repeal Obamacare they are going to have to give me some other stuff they are thinking about cutting, but my list takes Obamacare off first and I have a lot of other things I am thinking of cutting."
And how did he lead into the criticism of people who support Obamacare? By using the reaction of people who support Obamacare... who just happened to be Blacks.

If he had gotten the same reaction from Hollywood celebrities, do you think he would have used that as the introduction to criticizing Obamacare supporters? "Look at how those rent-seeking celebrities want more free stuff. But make sure you tell your friends to not be like those lazy celebrities b/c everything comes w/ a price." Right...

Old 07-13-2012, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
He didn't characterize the crowd. He was characterizing his perspective on the role of government versus how he sees that of his opponent. He was saying that "if" you think government should do that, that's not what he thinks and the other guy would be more aligned with that view.
He characterized the crowd by the reasoning behind their opposition to repealing Obamacare, then he contrasted that to his Conservative crowd. The only perspective he provided was his (and Conservative America's) view of Black Democrats, regardless of their actual standing.

Quote:
Proven tactic? Haven't seen anything proven. Can you show me a quote from anyone actually in politics that says that? Could we say it's a proven tactic of the left to paint issues as racial or to say that Conservatives "want dirty air and water?"

Lol... I just started a thread doing just that.

Old 07-13-2012, 11:44 AM

Quote:
He characterized the crowd by the reasoning behind their opposition to repealing Obamacare, then he contrasted that to his Conservative crowd. The only perspective he provided was his (and Conservative America's) view of Black Democrats, regardless of their actual standing.
In his view, Obamacare is seeking something from the government. If you want that, then he is saying he is not your guy. It was his view of Obamacare. Do you think his response would have been different to a group of white Democrats? What do you think he would have said differently? When you read these threads, are such complaints about seeking things from the government reserved for black posters or are they also made to white posters that post similar remarks?

Quote:
Lol... I just started a thread doing just that.
I said proven, not alleged.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies